WHL Bantam Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Jeez, the Rockets took Luke Schenn with their #1? That seems a little early, unless they figured all the decent defencemen with size were going to go quickly.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Seems like the draft is pretty much over. As far as I can tell, this is the break down of where the players are from:

AB - 76
SK - 56
BC - 48
MB - 29
CA - 5
WA - 3
MN - 3
CO - 1
AZ - 1
OK - 1

It looks like all three Washington players were picked by Spokane.

Last edited:

Lefty

Mar 1, 2002
Saskatoon
www.myspace.com
Michalek#9 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA. offense pssh... We were the laughing stock of the WHL.
We need a whole new team

Thats going overboard. The Blades have some good young talent... the problem was the vets didn't show up. Hopefully guys like Setoguchi, Van Lare, Haw, Green, Barnes, Rabbit, etc getting lots of playing time and experience will give the Blades a decent shot at the playoffs next season. I guess we'll find out next season though. I'll be a fan of them regardless of their record though.

krooky

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Seachd said:
Oooh.. Brandon Sutter. I've heard good things about him.

And I never even noticed he was picked by Red Deer. Even better.

Although i've never seen him play, i think Sutter going that high has a lot to do with his name. Judging by his stats, yes, he should probably get drafted but not that early. I used to play against Shaun Sutter, i believe he is Brians kid, and the kid was simply terrible. He got drafted into the Dub, got to play in the Dub, got drafted into the NHL, and got a pro carreer just because of his name. Anyways, just a thought. Hopefully Brandon proves me wrong and lives up to the billing.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
krooky said:
Although i've never seen him play, i think Sutter going that high has a lot to do with his name. Judging by his stats, yes, he should probably get drafted but not that early. I used to play against Shaun Sutter, i believe he is Brians kid, and the kid was simply terrible. He got drafted into the Dub, got to play in the Dub, got drafted into the NHL, and got a pro carreer just because of his name. Anyways, just a thought. Hopefully Brandon proves me wrong and lives up to the billing.

Brandon is a very smart and talented hockey player... his draft slot is worthy of his skill, not his name.

DR. Holiday

Schlep Rock said:
Brandon is a very smart and talented hockey player... his draft slot is worthy of his skill, not his name.

dID YOU SEE many of his games live this year. If so how was he.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Michalek#9 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA. offense pssh... We were the laughing stock of the WHL.
We need a whole new team
Haha, you're right, maybe I should rephrase, they have alot of potential offense, but your right, it wasn't around much eh?

I still don't think Sexsmith should have fallen this much, I only watched the kid twice but man he was awesome.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
From what I understand, Sexsmith is 5'11 and very very quick. One wonders how he dropped so low if he indeed is a potential 'franchise player', but oh well, I'm not complaining. I'll likely have Giants seasons tickets by then, and it should be fun to watch him play.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:

This is all about "DAD".

It makes sense that if you are the owner/GM and Coach, and have a chance to help your kid, who has some potential, you will.

But to suggest this had anything to do with skill is just silly.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
gb701 said:
This is all about "DAD".

It makes sense that if you are the owner/GM and Coach, and have a chance to help your kid, who has some potential, you will.

I don't know, from all reports the kid was still a first or early second round pick. Where they picked him may have been a bit high, but I really think just writing off his skill is foolish.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
gb701 said:
This is all about "DAD".

That may be your personal opinion, but I disagree, from what I have seen he will be a very good WHL player.

Izzy4Real

Mar 16, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
On the topic of Calgary D-men

Hickey - Dont know him, nor have I seen him as he plays in the South, but my friends all tell me this guys amazing... really smart and a monster on D, my buddy Pierce said he got KILLED by this guys one game and wont forget about it

Ehrhardt - Apparently, will be amazing, every thing I've heard about his play has been nothing short of great. Hits hard, quick hard shot, great passing and can go end-to-end, this guy will be an extremely solid, all around guy who helps the team, mark my words.

Nycholat - I have known this guy since I was in Grade 2 and have been to his Birthday parties a few times. Let me tell you, he will make the NHL. He hits like a TRUCK (Often times in the past few seasons he has done BAD cheapshots and thaat scared scouts away, he has toned it down however) and is amazing on offense, in ALberta Cup tryouts he scored 12 goals in I think 4 or 5 games. He passes with precision, his shots from the point always hit the net, he skates effortlessly and he is huge and a monster on the defensive side of things. Will be the best Calgary D-man in the draft, possibly a follow-up to the Bouwmeester and Barker. (last few years he was pretty cocky, but any attitude problem he may have had disappeared, good, honest, humble guy about his hockey this year)

Molle - Doesn't have to do with hockey, but this kid is hilarious. Other then that he is a defensive catalyst, straight up. Smart and talented enough to play good offense but the kid is a KING on his side of the red line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for the big evaluation.

Michie - (10th Round) The Master Darkhorse. This kid is actually my best friend, but no homerism here, he will make the NHL. I'll show you a little something about his progress over the last few years

Crowchild 4 of 6 (Novice)

Opted to play Basketball

Crowchild 7 of 9 - (Coach Clagget)

Crowchild 7 of 10 - (Coach Clagget)

Crowchild 6 - (The year I met him) 3 years ago, made this team... 2 weeks in he beat all 3 of his coaches in one-on-ones and outskated everyone on the team (including coaches) in footrace by nearly half the area he needed to cover despite being the heaviest kid on the team, moved up to the 5 team afterwards and left coach Keyt behind to go to Coach Clagget, finished the season with 2 tournament MVP's, led the team in hits and was the consensus top D-man on the team.

Crowchild 3 - (Coach Clagget) This year he got away from defense alone and played Center, and both wings when people went down to injury or suspension. Led the team in hits, came 2nd in points, was the best defensive player and did everything pretty much at will in the offensive zone... picked top corner from the blueline boards, had a couple end-to-end rushes a game, could deke out entire teams and hit anyone off the puck he so pleased.

This Year:
AAA Tryouts - Was the last cut of the Bronco's after having almost every player say he should have been close to the top of the list, went back to Crowchild for their tryouts.

Crowchild Tryouts - Scored at will, and had double digits in hits for every game/scrimmage he played. Led everyone in scoring while playing every position and was a t the top of every evaluaters list. However coach Claggets son was on the 2 team and Adam wanted on that team so Crowchild allowed it.

Crowchild 2 - Was the team MVP every game, captain, took the majority of the hit of the game awards, could do an end-to-end rush at any time he wanted (Quite honestly, it was really funny) but often opted to pass as he didnt want to be a puck hog or moved out of the division for being too good, cleared anyone from the front of the net and was the defensive and offensive lynchpin

AAA Stamps - Towards the end of the year (Before playoffs started) Evan Johnston off the Stamps got injured, Clagget talked to the coach about calling Adam up, and Adam got a 1 practice tryout along with 3 other guys, Adam got the spot and in the 3 playof games he played, he scored a goal and an assist. He ended up going to their tournament in Kamloops where he was one of the better players and a Seattle scout talked to him saying he was impressed with Adams play. (Played as power-RW in Evan's abscence)

Alberta Cup - Despite being around 60th on the list for players, he bulleted up the charts and made the team, in the Alberta Cup he scored a goal and 2 assists (near the top for the team) in what I believe was 3 or 4 games. (I apologize, I am not positive) However he was the Physical beast of the team and was hitting everything that moved. On one play he caught a little guy on the other team along the boards with a massive check, seconds later when he was a good 40 feet from the puck going on a change, someone from the other team took 7 strides in and clotheslined him, knocking him out instantly, giving him a concussion. He couldnt finish the tournament, but it was the last game.

A Seattle Scout called him saying he was impressed with the way he played in Kamloops and thought he played amazing for Alberta Cup. (Adam disagreed saying he was way too nervous for the first 2 games) He said he would call him if he was drafted.

Round 10 - 183 overall Adam Michie (6'0, 178) - Drafted to the Seattle Thunderbirds.

Darkhorse or what? Watch out for him.

edit: Everything that Everyone has told me has me believing Sexsmith will be the best player of the draft... him and Brule will DESTROY!

Last edited:

krooky

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:

Red Deer Chiefs Bantam AAAs

Colton Sceviour........37gp-47g-62a-108p
Brandon Sutter.........35gp-25g-34a-59p

Colton Sceviour almost doubles the point production of Brandon Sutter and is taken four spots later. Hmmmmmmmmm?

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
krooky said:
Red Deer Chiefs Bantam AAAs

Colton Sceviour........37gp-47g-62a-108p
Brandon Sutter.........35gp-25g-34a-59p

Colton Sceviour almost doubles the point production of Brandon Sutter and is taken four spots later. Hmmmmmmmmm?
Colton is strictly a point producer. Brandon is a very good PK, PP, strength type player, that can put up points.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Fedz said:
Colton is strictly a point producer. Brandon is a very good PK, PP, strength type player, that can put up points.

Want to make the same sort of comparison to the other dozen players in the AMBHL who put up better numbers than Sutter? Face it, while he is a good player, there is absolutely no way that he is going to go as high as he did unless dad is drafting. This is about career management, pure and simple.

What I will agree is that it was likely that he would go high enough that he might not have still been around when Red Deer got the chance to draft. I am not saying he is a bad player, just that he moved up a whole bunch because his dad was drafting him.

Watch the marketing machine kick in to control development, ice time, situational play, etc. NHL players are not born, they are made. Dad is going to make sure Brandon gets a good chance, and like I said earlier I don't have a problem with that. Wish I could do it for my kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad