Which would be a fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm amazed by certain posters here that think if team A gets it, it's a fix (ex : NY Rangers), but if team B gets it, then it's no fix (ex : Buffalo).

So for which team would it be a fix?
Rangers, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Pittsburgh (Mario?), Phoenix (Wayne?)?
Give your fix teams.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I'm not that amazed. While it does have some feel of paranoia to it, it's not like it's never happened before in professional sports-see Patrick Ewing.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Mont. Ott. NYR. Tor. Det. or LA. are all the fixed cities. The accidents are Carolina, Dallas, Minnesota, Caps or NJ.

Liquidrage*

Flyers.

Big market. Already a cup contender.
Young talent so they should be good for a while. Carter Richards Pitkanen Niitty Seidenberg Ruzicka Umberger Eaton etc...

About 5 million in cap room after buyouts.

Add in Crosby. And you have someone that could walk right into a big market team on the East Coast and be playing for a contender right away. Detroit would be another. But I think the league would rather have him on the East coast.

Rangers obviously. But if he goes there he's going to be losing a lot early in his career.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
I'm not that amazed. While it does have some feel of paranoia to it, it's not like it's never happened before in professional sports-see Patrick Ewing.

I don't agree that Ewing was a fix, the problem with that lottery is that it wasn't weighted. The cards were picked out of a spinning sphere right in front of the other GM's in the lottery. As with most conspiracy draft theorist, if NY wins then it must be a fix.

I think the same holds true for this Crosby draft. It will be the most watched event within NHL circles. No GM would allow a fix to happen because they all want the next Gretzky. A discovery of a fixed lottery would be the final black eye for the NHL.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
DarthSather99 said:
I don't agree that Ewing was a fix, the problem with that lottery is that it wasn't weighted. The cards were picked out of a spinning sphere right in front of the other GM's in the lottery. As with most conspiracy draft theorist, if NY wins then it must be a fix.

Besides, if the NBA really was fixing things to help NY win, then they really suck at it considering the Knicks haven't won in over 30 years.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Evilo said:
I'm amazed by certain posters here that think if team A gets it, it's a fix (ex : NY Rangers), but if team B gets it, then it's no fix (ex : Buffalo).

So for which team would it be a fix?
Rangers, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Pittsburgh (Mario?), Phoenix (Wayne?)?
Give your fix teams.

None.

I think the whole "fixed" theorie are ridiculous and childish.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
rangers or la would seem fishy

any canadian team or small market US team would not. From a marketing perspective it would be best Crosby goes to a big US market. Going to a canadian team would probably be worst case scenerio for the NHL.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Vlad The Impaler said:
None.

I think the whole "fixed" theorie are ridiculous and childish.
Which is exactly my point.
Why couldn't NY or LA or Montreal win the lottery?
If you add the balls of the teams that most people think as "fixable", then you have about one third of the balls.
That is completely stupid IMO.

There is no fix possible in this draft.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Evilo said:
Which is exactly my point.
Why couldn't NY or LA or Montreal win the lottery?
If you add the balls of the teams that most people think as "fixable", then you have about one third of the balls.
That is completely stupid IMO.

There is no fix possible in this draft.

Even though the lottery is weighted, teams have almost an equal chance of winning. Teams have a range of either 2-6% of winning the lottery. Any team could conceivably win it.

I do wish it could be on TV. I think the NHL is missing a chance for us to see something hockey related.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The lottery is "behind closed doors" --therefore if NYR gets the #1 --every fan--except those of NYR--will believe "the fix was in" ............without transparency,how will we know for sure MSG did not pay off every team $3-5 million in "pocket change" (for MSG) for this hidden "right" = the Bettman "master Plan" ?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
hawksfan50 said:
The lottery is "behind closed doors" --therefore if NYR gets the #1 --every fan--except those of NYR--will believe "the fix was in" ............without transparency,how will we know for sure MSG did not pay off every team $3-5 million in "pocket change" (for MSG) for this hidden "right" = the Bettman "master Plan" ?

YEAH!

Moon Man*

I've never beleived any of the 'fixing' banter was serious... but man, this talk is cropping up so much I'm beginning to wonder how badly the paranoia is getting out of hand regarding the lotto.

I suppose some people just need it as a tool to help cope with any eventual disappointment.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He was the big prize in his draft year and there is a conspiracy theory that says NY was a fixed winner.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Evilo said:
He was the big prize in his draft year and there is a conspiracy theory that says NY was a fixed winner.

And it was the first time the NBA had the draft lottery (implemented because Houston had supposedly tanked the prior season to get Olajuwon), so I'm sure that there was some degree of skepticism about the whole process. No one really questions the NBA lottery anymore now that we've had it for about 20 years.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Here is Bettman's "Master Plan" for NYR:

1. The Crosby "fix" --draft lotto "behind closed doors" --need I say more?

2. The Thornton "fix"---Gary knows Jeremy Jacobs will never commmit to a MAX CAP
($37 million on direct salaries+$2million on benefits and insurance);the $7.4 million player max is 20% of the team salary max...he knows NYR will buy out Kasparaitis and Holik and only be counted for $4.2 million on Jagr (since WASH pays the other half counting on its CAP)...hemce NYR will go to a $37million team MAX salary and therfore has plenty to get Thornton at $7.4million ...why would Joe go anywhere else (highest salary possible + best endorsements market)...Bettman: collect your 10% "commmission checque" from MSG and enjoy!

NYR's new Top line Crosby (about $1.6 million incl bonuses he will easily get playing with those two),Thornton ($7.4 million) and Jagr (a cheap $4.2million =NYR's portion)=total is a very reasonable $13.2 million for the three amigos...

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
hawksfan50 said:
Here is Bettman's "Master Plan" for NYR:

1. The Crosby "fix" --draft lotto "behind closed doors" --need I say more?

Yes, considering each team will have one representative attending the lottery and the fact that the lottery has always ben behind closed doors please explain to me why you think it will be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad