Speculation: Which teams will trade their 1st Rounder before the Deadline?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Vancouver could very well be the worst team in the league, doubt they trade their 1st rounder. I think St.Louis or Washington go all in next year and trade their 1st rounders.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I like Connor but you act like there's some huge gap between him and Boeser when it's not true.

All I did was ask which NCAA record Boeser broke, and while asking noted that Kyle Connor outscored him by a wide margin.

Connor did lead NCAA all players in scoring though, and did it as a freshman. He also set a team mark as well (27-game point streak, scoring 59 points over that streak) - but citing team marks as "college records" just seems weak.

Last edited:

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I don't see it. Why waste a first round pick on a guy that is either a rental or has to be protected in the expansion draft. We'd have to overpay to get an upgrade on Brouwer or Frolik on the RW (I think Chicago got killed in the Ladd trade). The LW is easier to upgrade but then that guy will probably get bumped the year after by Tkachuk.

Our drafting has been spot on lately. Get through the expansion, let the bad contracts expire and we should be able to get a solid UFA next summer.

agreed about our drafting, but i'm not so sure that there will be many solid UFA's to be had. i think there will be a better selection than this year, but i also think the competition will be tougher. especially with LV possibly looking to spend and make a big splash.

i am sure that the best case scenario for the league, would be for LV to be reasonably competitive right from the beginning. should be very, very interesting, and i would place a small wager that there will be an announcement that there will be another expansion team added.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The usual suspects- Pittsburgh and the NYR

Meh. I dunno about this year.
They don't need the Fowler's or Shattenkirk's.
And theres no real name out there @ LW thats available.
That could change obviously pretty quickly but still...

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
As long as any one contender trades theirs to Vancouver, I'm happy. To suggest Vancouver one of theirs is asinine.
No but you can bet a 2nd and a good prospect will be going out the door if the Canucks are pushing for the playoffs..even if they are 8-10 points out of a spot.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
With two 2nd rounders in 2017 draft, I can see Shero, using a first to bring in a 3/4 defensemen. Top 5 protected and it would be earlier than at the deadline.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Could see Montreal.
Bergevin is trying to save his and Therriens jobs.
If the Habs are either close but not quite in the playoff picture or actual Cup contenders, I can see them going all in.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'd be upset if the sabres didn't find a way to trade theirs for a top 4 dman to help push then into the playoffs

tbassett

Jun 12, 2014
Barnesboro, PA
For once I don't see the Penguins trading their first this year. I think we'll be comfortably in a playoff spot and can see a 3rd rounder going for a depth player

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I see Poile as a possibility to cash in that 1st this year. We restocked our only glaring need in our prospect pool, and if the team's doing well, we know he isn't shy about trading it away. However, the Franson deal might make him a bit wary going forward, as that really derailed the team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Can definitely see Dallas and Tampa Bay going all-in this year.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
BOSTON. Cupboards are stocked full of prospects and a 1st can be moved as part of a deal for a top-pairing D.

Hell, I could see them giving up four 1sts and offer-sheeting at this point.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I could easily see the :caps trading the pick. Most likely scenario is Trotz doesn't think Orpik should be 2LD and he doesn't trust Orlov, so they trade for a legitimate 1/2LD. Another likely scenario is that Orlov falls out of favor and they trade him + 1st round pick for a defensive upgrade. Scenario #3 is they want to drop Williams down to 3RW and get another top 6 winger.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Vancouver could very well be the worst team in the league, doubt they trade their 1st rounder. I think St.Louis or Washington go all in next year and trade their 1st rounders.

It's HIGHLY unlikely that the Blues deal their 1st or go all in. Why let Backes, Brouwer and Elliott go then deal your 1st? If anything they'd be more likely to pick up an extra 1st in a potential Shattenkirk trade.

Group Chat Legend*

If NJ is in a playoff spot I see them trading their 1st+ for a top 4 defender

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
With two 2nd rounders in 2017 draft, I can see Shero, using a first to bring in a 3/4 defensemen. Top 5 protected and it would be earlier than at the deadline.

This is not intended to pick on you, I just disagree with you again re: protection.

I don't think it gets moved unless we're getting someone surefire back (i.e. Shattenkirk, Fowler, etc.). If we're borderline playoffs (at the deadline), its not going to be protected as that will be the risk we have to take to get that player. No team is going to trade a valuable asset for a protected pick. Its not the NBA where options/assets are more limited. If we're in the gutter and in the discussion to have a top lottery pick, I don't think it gets moved in the first place unless the offer was blowaway in terms of the player coming back and that would rule out protection (ie it would likely only be moved for an elite defender in this scenario). If we're clear cut in the playoffs at the time (top 5 seed), we won't be in a position to have a lottery pick so protection would be unnecessary. I would even go so far in terms of prediction/speculation that the only scenario the 1st is moved is if we're "clear cut" and playing well at that time. We're not in a position to move a 1st for a mid-pairing defender who carries salary when we can potentially get a better, cost-controlled player for the future.

I think this is the first year in a while that our first could be entertained as a piece in a trade, but the conditions you've set are unlikely. There hasn't been a top X protected pick traded in this league yet and timing of the deal is really important to us as we're not an elite team.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
NCHC is a harder league than the big 10.

Boeser broke team freshman records, outscoring Jonathan Toews in ten less games.

Parise's 61 points in 39 games as a freshmen disagrees with this statement.

But still, not bad company by any means.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What NCAA record did Boeser break? Kyle Connor outscored him by 11 points last season (despite having played in 6 fewer games than Boeser). Connor's p/gp was 1.87; Boeser 1.43

http://collegehockeyinc.com/stats/filters16.php

I have no clue. He's the same guy who said that Jared McCann was a better rookie than Connor McDavid, and then completely turned on McCann after Benning dealt him away, so take that for what it's worth.

If Benning gives our 1st round pick away I won't follow the Canucks this year. No point. The team blows, and without the excitement of getting a high draft pick why bother? Where's the payoff?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad