Which teams use a goaltending tandem these playoffs?

Which teams, if any, intentionally run a tandem this playoffs?

• None. Every team will choose 1 starting goalie for the playoffs like always

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Boston (Ullmark/Swayman)

Votes: 52 50.0%
  • Toronto (Woll/Samsonov)

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Carolina (Andersen/Kochetkov)

Votes: 28 26.9%
  • Islanders (Varlamov/Sorokin)

Votes: 39 37.5%
  • Vegas (Hill/Thompson)

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • Other (Name the team)

Votes: 11 10.6%

• Total voters

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
We all remember the controversy in Boston last year when they ran a tandem all season leading to one the most successful regular season in NHL history only to change their goaltending rotation and get bounced in the first round.

Are we going to see a change this year of teams actually running tandems?
Votes still count for tandems that see one goalie play 2 games for every 1 that the 1B plays.

I left out the teams with obvious ride-or-die starters this year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted none. That's what I think it should be anyways.

you pick your #1 - and you run with him. Now if that goalie is clearly struggling, fine you make a change and try the #2, but to me that's not the same as going with a tandem. A tandem would be you switch every game even if you win

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
We're in a live-puck era (relatively speaking, post lockout) so any team with a good backup. If the Rangers make it out of round 1 I see Quick getting a start after a shaky Igor performance

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Boston and Carolina should both run their tandems because rotating every game has worked great for both.

Vegas should stick with whoever is hot, but have the other ready to go because they both break easily.

Both NY teams should be starting their backups who've outplayed the starter.

Toronto, if they do go with Samsonov, will learn their lesson the hard way and it'll be Woll's net before the series is over

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I don't think the Isles will flip flop but of the teams likely to even use two goalies, the Isles have the highest chance.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
LA will turn to Rittich the moment Talbot fails

He hasn't looked sharp lately so may be by game 3

They've anointed him the 'starter' presumably for confidence and to run with 'a guy' which i approve of but...he's not the guy.

Reactions: Reaper45

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
As soon as Skinner shits the bed, you'll see Pickard. Then they'll go back to Skinner, because they "have to", only to see him get yanked again. Wash, rinse, repeat......same as last year.

Holland had one job this year.........
Skinner's been way better this year than last. Give the guy a chance before you hang him out to dry, jeez.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I don't consider going with a goalie until they play a bad game and then switch to be a "tandem". I'd consider tandem being a rotation regardless of results. It goes against all hockey-guy think to ever consider rotating your goalies in the playoffs but I think Boston and Carolina are more likely to this year.

It's worked for them all year (and last year too). There should be no reason to change it.

Reactions: zeeto

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Not a tandem but I think rittich and Talbot will both see time in round 1.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
As soon as Skinner shits the bed, you'll see Pickard. Then they'll go back to Skinner, because they "have to", only to see him get yanked again. Wash, rinse, repeat......same as last year.

Holland had one job this year.........
Skinner has been phenomenal since Knoblauch was hired. Sorry that doesn’t jive with your hopes and dreams.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Skinner has been phenomenal since Knoblauch was hired. Sorry that doesn’t jive with your hopes and dreams.

I remember the same talk last year, how'd that turn out?

He's a young goalie who has shown to be susceptible to the pressures of the playoffs.

It was my same criticism going into last year's playoffs.

It's no knock against him; he's just young. He'll have the pressure of not screwing up this time added to it.

You can cry foul all you want, but I'm guessing if I swung by HFBoards I'd find similar concerns.

The biggest difference this time is if he falters, you have a career AHL back up you need to lean on.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I remember the same talk last year, how'd that turn out?

He's a young goalie who has shown to be susceptible to the pressures of the playoffs.

It was my same criticism going into last year's playoffs.

It's no knock against him; he's just young. He'll have the pressure of not screwing up this time added to it.

You can cry foul all you want, but I'm guessing if I swung by HFBoards I'd find similar concerns.

The biggest difference this time is if he falters, you have a career AHL back up you need to lean on.
He was a rookie last year. This season is vastly different.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Boston and Carolina should both run their tandems because rotating every game has worked great for both.

Vegas should stick with whoever is hot, but have the other ready to go because they both break easily.

Both NY teams should be starting their backups who've outplayed the starter.

Toronto, if they do go with Samsonov, will learn their lesson the hard way and it'll be Woll's net before the series is over

Quick outplayed Shesterkin first half of the season but not since Feb. Shesterkin will start.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Minny tried to do that tandem approach last year and it failed miserably.

Pick one and play them until they lose 2.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hill will pull his hammy or something but then Thompson will magically step in and win the Conn Smythe all of a sudden.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
We all remember the controversy in Boston last year when they ran a tandem all season leading to one the most successful regular season in NHL history only to change their goaltending rotation and get bounced in the first round.

Are we going to see a change this year of teams actually running tandems?
Votes still count for tandems that see one goalie play 2 games for every 1 that the 1B plays.

I left out the teams with obvious ride-or-die starters this year.
To be fair to the Bruins, Ullmark won the Vezina last year and had them at 3-1 in the series until the wheels finally fell off the D. Giving him game 5 and 6 while they ultimately lost those and game 7 with Swayman was not some crazy decision by Montgomery.

Maybe Bruins fans feel differently but having lived the series from the otherside, it's not like we were surprised. The team was fine until game 5, then everyone contributed to the loss.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
To be fair to the Bruins, Ullmark won the Vezina last year and had them at 3-1 in the series until the wheels finally fell off the D. Giving him game 5 and 6 while they ultimately lost those and game 7 with Swayman was not some crazy decision by Montgomery.

Maybe Bruins fans feel differently but having lived the series from the otherside, it's not like we were surprised. The team was fine until game 5, then everyone contributed to the loss.
Giving Ullmark game 5 and 6 was absolutely a crazy decision given that it came out afterwards that he was injured.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Giving Ullmark game 5 and 6 was absolutely a crazy decision given that it came out afterwards that he was injured.
Pretty sure both teams had a flu going through the rooms

And he won game 4, and was great, going home to get Bergeron and Krejci back.

Game 6 maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad