Speculation: Which teams that are out face the biggest changes this off season?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Which teams that are out face the biggest changes this off season? You got teams like Pittsburgh, Columbus, Carolina and Toronto out, I mention those 4 teams because I feel like those are the teams that could be very busy.

You got Toronto and Pittsburgh having to make a decision on their #1 goalies, Letang is rumored to be available.

David Savard is going into his final year what do they do with him? is Jenner or Anderson available?

What about Dougie Hamilton? he's entering the final year of his contract too what do they do with him?

the flat cap could make things VERY interesting

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Add CHI and WSH to the group for different reasons.

CHI needs some cap space if Seabrook has any intention of playing next year no? They need a legit starting goalie as Crawford is a UFA and not the Cup winning tendie he once was and need to pay their budding star in Kubalik. Their main stars in Toews, Kane and Keith are getting long in the tooth but they do have some young guns making their way, not sure what happens there to get them contending again

If WSH lose and its a good bet they will, do we see any big changes here? Not saying Ovy, Carlson or Backstrom get moved but they just dont seem as scary as they used to be. Something has to give there and they likely can't re-tool too much as Ovy is winding down his career and need to go for it every year he is still on the team.

Reactions: Pertti

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What I suspect makes sense for Columbus is to look for a #2C upgrade (perhaps by taking Tyler Johnson off of the Lightning's hands) and figure out a way to retain Savard long-term and Anderson short-term (on the hope that he bounces back). But none of that is set in stone.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think it's the biggest change, but the Wild are about to lose 2 of their 4 centers, including their captain, and should be very active in trade talks for a top 6 center, which could cost them a top 4 defenseman, possibly multiple roster pieces. They'll also add Kaprizov to the top 6.

So not the most turnover, but there could be some important changes.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think it's the biggest change, but the Wild are about to lose 2 of their 4 centers, including their captain, and should be very active in trade talks for a top 6 center, which could cost them a top 4 defenseman, possibly multiple roster pieces. They'll also add Kaprizov to the top 6.

And the goalies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

And the goalies.

Draft your future top 6 C with 9th overall

FLA gets Brodin + prospect
MIN gets Strome + 18-19th or whatever it is (CAR pick)
NYR gets 12th

MIN goes with Staal and Strome and maybe re-sign Staal again short term until 9th overall is ready

Reactions: egelband

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Draft your future top 6 C with 9th overall

FLA gets Brodin
MIN gets Strome + 18-19th or whatever it is (CAR pick)
NYR gets 12th

I don't hate it if Strome is signed to a reasonable extension as part of the deal. It would give us a shot at a Bourque, Zary, Mercer, Peterka, Reichel type of pick.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Carolina.

decide on Dougie.
Are going to try to change out Nino, Gardiner, Dzingel, and a Goalie. They will need a top 6 forward too. Williams will retire. They will lose 3 UFAs on defense, hopefully.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Interesting.

Float it on your board and see what the feedback is, minus KE :laugh:

I don't hate it if Strome is signed to a reasonable extension as part of the deal. It would give us a shot at a Bourque, Zary, Mercer, Peterka, Reichel type of pick.

I'd say he comes in around $4.5 million? Maybe a bit more depending on term.
He can produce 50+pts, done it twice so far.
May be a fit with Kaprizov?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Carolina.

decide on Dougie.
Are going to try to change out Nino, Gardiner, Dzingel, and a Goalie. They will need a top 6 forward too. Williams will retire. They will lose 3 UFAs on defense, hopefully.

If Dougie ends up available what would Carolina want

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is the prospect from MN? Cause you're not getting Boldy, Beckman, Khovanov, Addison...maybe a guy like Firstov, or a D who can play in the NHL like Belpedio. Otherwise, it seems to be a pretty well thought out deal that doesn't screw any team, which is damn rare on HFB. I'm not the biggest Strome fan, though, and far prefer Brodin to him, never mind Brodin + prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Is the prospect from MN? Cause you're not getting Boldy, Beckman, Khovanov, Addison...maybe a guy like Firstov, or a D who can play in the NHL like Belpedio. Otherwise, it seems to be a pretty well thought out deal that doesn't screw any team, which is damn rare on HFB. I'm not the biggest Strome fan, though, and far prefer Brodin to him, never mind Brodin + prospect.

No just Brodin, prospect goes to FLA from NYR. Posted the idea in new thread

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Depends on the team. A controllable forward that is already producing, a good pick, something else.

ehlers from Winnipeg comes to mind. Ehlers + for Dougie.

The problem there is the same problem with Hamilton is the same problem with Savard or Larsson they are all entering the final year of their deals. Ehlers would be a HIGH price for 1 year of Hamilton

ClevelandUke

Aug 4, 2020
The problem there is the same problem with Hamilton is the same problem with Savard or Larsson they are all entering the final year of their deals. Ehlers would be a HIGH price for 1 year of Hamilton

half year rentals still bring back 1st and good-solid prospects

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Kapanen/Johnsson
Andersen

For

Hamilton
Mrázek

as a basis. Picks could be added if need be but I think it works for both sides.

Carolina looking a forward with production. The Leafs looking for that RD to play with Rielly.
The goalie swap helps make it even as I believe Hamilton has more value over each of those forwards and Andersen over Mrázek.

Toronto fans believe that the Leafs are not going to give Andersen an extension at 31 which he will be after next year. Mrázek is 2yrs younger and I believe they could get him re-signed under 5yrs where I think Andersen wants to cash in his final years before he’s almost done. Carolina though with the point of him 31 after next year could still use him as they are close and Andersen could be a goalie change up that they need to move forward to a cup. I think they’d be open to give him a 4-5yr deal if he works out, where like I said Leafs fans were wary of.

The overall cap on this deal is basically identical. So no one is taking on large cap or anything.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Kapanen/Johnsson
Andersen

For

Hamilton
Mrázek

as a basis. Picks could be added if need be but I think it works for both sides.

Carolina looking a forward with production. The Leafs looking for that RD to play with Rielly.
The goalie swap helps make it even as I believe Hamilton has more value over each of those forwards and Andersen over Mrázek.

Toronto fans believe that the Leafs are not going to give Andersen an extension at 31 which he will be after next year. Mrázek is 2yrs younger and I believe they could get him re-signed under 5yrs where I think Andersen wants to cash in his final years before he’s almost done. Carolina though with the point of him 31 after next year could still use him as they are close and Andersen could be a goalie change up that they need to move forward to a cup. I think they’d be open to give him a 4-5yr deal if he works out, where like I said Leafs fans were wary of.

The overall cap on this deal is basically identical. So no one is taking on large cap or anything.

Hamilton isn’t what the Leafs need, he’s a Tyson Barrie type, we need a Josh Manson type.

But we will not undergo any big changes anyway, our POS GM defended his model of soft-skill post elimination, and is going to roll with it again, because when something doesn’t work, everybody knows you just keep at it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kapanen/Johnsson
Andersen

For

Hamilton
Mrázek

Freddy Andersen isn't likely to stay in Carolina there is history there

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hamilton isn’t what the Leafs need, he’s a Tyson Barrie type, we need a Josh Manson type.

But we will not undergo any big changes anyway, our POS GM defended his model of soft-skill post elimination, and is going to roll with it again, because when something doesn’t work, everybody knows you just keep at it.

Term aside Hamilton would be an AMAZING addition, Dougie Hamilton is not Tyson Barrie.

For anyone that belives in a top 3 bottom 3 model Rielly, Hamilton, Muzzin is a hell of a top 3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad