Speculation: Which teams in the new division will Washington Capitals be better than next season?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No more Florida, Tampa or Winnipeg to get easy points against...

Here is our competition in the new divisions for next season:

Pittsburgh Penguins
Philadelphia Flyers
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
Carolina Hurricanes
New Jersey Devils
Columbus BlueJackets

The top three make the playoffs and maybe one or two more if better than the other division's fourth or fifth best in the conference.

Without major offseason moves, which teams will the Caps likely finish ahead of? The BlueJackets and maybe Devils is the best I can see. Without major moves in the offseason, this ain't a playoff club under the new divisional alignment, ... is it?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I think we can compete in that division. Regular season doesn't mean crap anyway. They can keep up with any of those teams.

Playoffs... yeah, they'll fold against every one of those teams.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I think we can compete in that division. Regular season doesn't mean crap anyway...
Uh, under the new system, it is harder to get into the playoffs: only THREE (3) of those are assured a playoff spot, and with Detroit moving east, 16 teams competing, the fourth or fifth best team in the other division of the conference might rack up easy wins against lesser competition).

Liberati0n*

My first hockey hero was Ken Dryden. When he retired and Rod Langway left Montreal for Washington, I became a Caps fan... for over 30 years now!!!

You have 15,000 posts and I've never seen you post in this section before.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
You have 15,000 posts and I've never seen you post in this section before.
I had a different avatar. I have been critical of Mike Green for years, pimping OV and dissing Crosby since they entered the league!! I cheered Hunter on his coaching and many times begged the team to trade Semin, cheering his departure int he offseason. I have lamented the lack of goaltending since Kolzig and spoke well of Perreault and Ward from their very first shifts, defending the trade for Erat, gawd countless times.

Only started a thread once before though I think...

Here I am in 2005 complaining about the lack of Ovechkin talk in Caps coverage on HNIC:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=186592&highlight=vanislander

Liberati0n*

I had a different avatar. I have been critical of Mike Green for years, pimping OV and dissing Crosby since they entered the league!! I cheered Hunter on his coaching and many times begged the team to trade Semin, cheering his departure int he offseason. I have lamented the lack of goaltending since Kolzig and spoke well of Perreault and Ward from their very first shifts, defending the trade for Erat, gawd countless times.

Only started a thread once before though I think...

Sorry then...I must have missed you. I'm feeling combative.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There's this thing called the off-season that's sort of important. But, yeah, not liking their chances unless they really truly re-evaluate themselves.

Liberati0n*

There's this thing called the off-season that's sort of important. But, yeah, not liking their chances unless they really re-evaluate themselves.

The off-season? You mean the time to (re-)sell Laich as 2C to the fanbase?

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
You are looking at this all wrong, you need to look at what matters to important people like Leonsis, GMGM, and NBTW. The Caps will have better attendance than Carolina, Columbus, NJ, NYI, and NYR, and Pittsburgh is easily within reach. Another bad season for the Flyers and it's attendance champions banner time.

Liberati0n*

You are looking at this all wrong, you need to look at what matters to important people like Leonsis, GMGM, and NBTW. The Caps will have better attendance than Carolina, Columbus, NJ, NYI, and NYR, and Pittsburgh is easily within reach. Another bad season for the Flyers and it's attendance champions banner time.

Not to mention Washington is going to lead the league in communityservice/60 next year. #CCFpriorities #buildingawinner

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
....The Caps will have better attendance than Carolina, Columbus, NJ, NYI, and NYR, and Pittsburgh is easily within reach. Another bad season for the Flyers and it's attendance champions banner time.
Mark my words: Missing the playoffs next season under the new division format will be accompanied by an excuse comment by the organization about how difficult the new division is.

Two missed playoffs from now and only Carolina. Columbus and New Jersey will less attendance in the division.

This is what awaits the present core of Caps without major offseason moves given the new divisions.

Hope is faint.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
The only team Washington will be better than is Pittsburgh???? 7th and 8th in the division, both missing the playoffs. I hate the Pens enough to take that! :laugh:

****. Meant they're the only team I see being better than the caps. There's alot of wildcards in there. Don't know what to expect from NJ, Philly, CBJ, NYI, or Carolina but none of them are too scary. I also don't think the rags are too good and could easily miss next year as well.

Liberati0n*

Next year is going to be rough. Who's the consensus #1 pick for the 2014 draft?

MichaelNylander.jpg

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I actually think that a stronger division will be a blessing for us.

No more Florida, Whinipeg and TBL for easy wins, a serious test every game, media golden boys all the time. It's almost like having a season-long playoff.

This will give the team a direction - either we grow or we fold completely. The talent is definitely still here, now we won't need to wait for the entire season to look how much we're worth. Look at the Isles, a much lesser team, worse everywhere, but playing against the top competition, they learned to be good and battled the #1 seed this year.

We'll be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4