OT: Which team will you be cheering for at the World Cup of Hockey

Feb 24, 2004
Looking at the results, it's a pretty even split between Team Canada and Team NA. And ultimately, in my opinion, it's that level of muted passion that's going to be the death of this tournament.

Think about why you watch international competitions - you want your country to prove its superiority in that given sport. But if multiple teams feature players from your country - what's the point?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
It's a joke because?

Its a World Cup and 25% of the teams aren't countries?

If they were straight up and called it the 'NHL-sanctioned cash grab to justify not going to South Korea in 2018 Cup' I would've bought a full ticket package.

Radomon

Jun 1, 2004
Stockholm

If they were straight up and called it the 'NHL-sanctioned cash grab to justify not going to South Korea in 2018 Cup' I would've bought a full ticket package.

Totally agree with this, but I'm still looking forward to it. If Sweden wins it I'll be pretty proud and happy for my country. Wouldn't know how the fans of Team Europe or U23 would react though...

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Canada for sure. And against the US and Sweden, as always. And especially against that joke of a team called NA.

RDubya

Jun 7, 2015
I'm hoping team NA wins it. Not a big fan of Canada thus year with Marchand on the team and no subban or perry. It will be cool to see Matthews/McDavid/eichel/rielly/ekblad/Mackinnon etc all on the the same team. However I'd much rather have the nhl still in the Olympics instead of this.

bigfreeze

Mar 16, 2016

You're entitled to your opinion. But I'm psyched up about having a Team North America. That fact alone makes this tournament more interesting that any World Championships or previous World Cup

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Right now, cause World Cup doesn't mean ANYTHING to me. North America.

Maybe one day if this comes to be as significant as the Olympics then I'll care and root for Canada.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
so dumb theres not a canada vs north america game, would be the best one... probably hoping they meet in the finals.

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
I chose North America because I have a hard time taking this tournament seriously and would be pumped to see the young guns win. Truth is though, if the Jays are making a playoff push I will be watching them instead of this tournament.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
If Matt Martin didn't make team Canada how can I cheer for it? ;)

Cheering for Team N.A. because in this extended All Star game type tournament owned by the league and the players where no-one is really gonna sacrifice anything to win just before the start of NHL team training camps, the most highlight reel goals will come from the young skilled players.

If there were a Team Toughness I would cheer for the goons(sorry I mean for the relatively strong skating heavy two-way defensively responsible 4th liners).

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Well, being Canadian and all, I'll be cheering for Canada like always.

Also want Matthews and Rielly to do well. But if they come up against Canada, I won't be divided or anything. It's Canada for me, no matter the tournament.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
I selected other because I will not be cheering for any one team. My interest is peaked by individual players.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I like rooting for the under-dog in tournaments like this. It's fun to see who might be a cinderella story and pull off some big upsets. Love when a relatively lesser player ends up playing way out of his mind, like Kontiola in the Olympics a while back. Or when a one-man-show beats a stacked team, like anytime Kopitar plays internationally.

I'm cheering for team Czech, and team Europe. Czech because I want to see if Hemsky still has it, and (our own) Michalek as well. Plus Mrazek is one of my favourite goalies.

Team Europe because of all the players who would normally never have a chance at an international championship, like Kopitar, Bellemare, and Vanek. Not to mention my other favourite goalie (our own) Freddy Andersen!

Kanu

Coach Potato
May 10, 2016
Because it's not a legitimate international tournament, I'll be making my choices game by game. But mostly interested in watching the Leafs players.

I'd love to see the young guns win it just to see what song is played as their anthem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad