Which team has a better rebuild? Habs vs Red Wings?

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
I say the habs.

The young players are playing well. Suzuki, Slav, and Caufield are coming together.

The D men are young however they are playing well; wait until Hutson and Reinbacher come and they will make a difference.

The Red Wings rebuild is still a work in progress. Even though they might make the playoffs, they are still way off the mark.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A rebuild completes when you return your team to the PO regularly. Neither has done that. Detroit much closer this season than Montreal, however, they are not exactly led by their young guys (I wouldn't call a 27 year old Larkin young).

I do wonder if Detroit has enough high end talent to contend. Seems short 1 higher end scoring forward and I don't think Kasper/Danielsson is going to be that guy.

Montreal, kind of the same boat in terms of offensive forwards. Suzuki/Caulfield are a good base. KK is gone but clearly over drafted, and Slaf is a work in progress. Who is that #3 guy to add to the first 2?

Both have plenty of young D on the way up.

Goalies for the future, still an unknown as goalies take time to develop for both teams.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I say the habs.

The young players are playing well. Suzuki, Slav, and Caufield are coming together.

The D men are young however they are playing well; wait until Hutson and Reinbacher come and they will make a difference.

The Red Wings rebuild is still a work in progress. Even though they might make the playoffs, they are still way off the mark.

I think if we want to compare rebuilds, it needs to be with two teams that started off at the same time.

Montreal basically tore it down in 2022. The Redwings started many years prior to that.

The question is, are the red wings where they need to be at this stage of their plan? Their answer will naturally be different than the Habs.

Regardless, with the kind of moves that the wings are doing in the last couple years, I don't think we should associate them with rebuild anymore. It looks to me that they are more focused on trying to turn the corner today than rebuild.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A rebuild completes when you return your team to the PO regularly. Neither has done that. Detroit much closer this season than Montreal, however, they are not exactly led by their young guys (I wouldn't call a 27 year old Larkin young).

I do wonder if Detroit has enough high end talent to contend. Seems short 1 higher end scoring forward and I don't think Kasper/Danielsson is going to be that guy.

Montreal, kind of the same boat in terms of offensive forwards. Suzuki/Caulfield are a good base. KK is gone but clearly over drafted, and Slaf is a work in progress. Who is that #3 guy to add to the first 2?

Goalies for the future, still an unknown as goalies take time to develop for both teams.

I think they are happy with slafkovsky's development especially in this calendar year. You never know with young guys because they can be volatile, but I think management and fans alike are pleased with him, and nobody is saying that he looks out of place playing with caufield and Suzuki.

Kirby dach is the other name I'd throw out there. He's only played one game this season, but i think he's poised for a breakout if he can stay healthy. Still quite young and showed good things last year. The injury history has already become concerning though.

As for the pipeline, certainly it's much more heavily skewed toward defensive prospects.... and even on the main team, 4 out of the 6 dmen are either rookies or in their sophomore season.

I'm thinking if they have enough of those defensive prospects hit, then there will be a trade or two being made down the road to leverage that strength and round out the top 6 forwards.

I think there are 4 solid peices to the top 6 with caufield, Suzuki, dach, and salfkovsky.

Other candidates out who might round out the top 6 are newhook and Roy, and I think they will like to build more options to that end.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Dach, but his shortened season prevented from seeing what he could do, but he's still an asterisks, or question mark.

I'd say tie, or Detroit. Detroit started before the habs in the rebuild, but they're only slightly ahead.

The Habs, I guess main insiders in Apron Basu and Marc-Antoine Godin are both stating/insinuating the Habs will be aggressive again in the trade market, looking for another young player to add to the team that's ahead in their development and take a dip into the free agent market. Next offseason they seem to think will be when the Habs really start pushing

They both lack that high end talent in the organization anywhere. Habs have a 5% chance, or whatever it is currently to get Celebrini and a better chance to get a prospect like Demidov.

Detroit is seeing Cossa finally putting things together and I think have a consistently goalie will definitely help that team overall. They have the assets to make another trade to add a good, solid piece to their team.

I think both Detroit and Montreal, or at least Detroit at this point are going for a pretty good player and some really good team depth approach.

For the Habs, Suzuki has set career highs in points for 3 consecutive seasons. Getting another 12 points to be a 90 point player next season isn't unrealistic. If the Habs pp can be a bit better, Cole getting his shooting percentage back up and that's an achievable target. Potentially adding another young player via trade and the return of Monahan could put them into a similar spot to where Detroit is this year.

In short, Detroit is likely ahead.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I say the Red Wings.

The young players are playing well. Raymond, Seider and Edvinsson are coming together.

Wait until Sandin Pellikka, Danielson and Cossa come and they will make a difference.
I mean the habs can say the same thing

Wait until Hutson, Reinbacher, Mallioux + their 1st this year makes the team

Red wings are a bit ahead but they started rebuilding a few years earlier

Talent wise similar moving forward if every high end prospect for both teams reaches the NHL

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
I think Detroit is ahead, but Larkin’s age gives them a shorter window to get it together. They also should have tanked an extra year in a search for true first line talent. I think Yzerman surrounded the kids with UFA talent a year early, but he was also being mindful of the upcoming UFA crops.

Habs need to swap some of these Dmen into forwards. The right trade (Zegras?) plus this upcoming draft could change things fast.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Seider, Raymond, Larkin, Debrincat with more players on the way is better than Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Guhle, and an injury prone Dach.

Reactions: TS Quint

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I’d say Detroit currently has the better team and better prospect pool. Montreal will collect better prospects going forward.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Progress on paper can be an illusion. I take the Wings because they are further along in terms of real results. They have a decent chance to make the playoffs.

I have doubts that this Habs rebuild will get there.

Reactions: wetcoast

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Habs are smart to keep tanking, Detroit pushed too hard too early and I don't see how they're gonna get much better from here

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Habs are smart to keep tanking, Detroit pushed too hard too early and I don't see how they're gonna get much better from here

That's why I am at a dilema with the Habs. Should they start competing right next season and get good UFA and get players via trades or tank for one more year to again feed the prospect bank.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
At first glance I'd say Detroit is a little more higher-end than Montreal. Montreal is missing at least 1 key forward long term and Detroit has the better goaltender if Cossa hits vs Montembeault or Primeau. Of course there's Jacob Fowler but he's quite a few years off.

On defense Montreal has a ton of depth but Seider-Edvinsson might just end up better than whatever Montreal has, so once again a slight edge for Detroit.

Like I said it's close but Detroit seems better, and they're also more advanced. It could change after this next draft and summer moves, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad