Which team has a better outlook in the next five seasons? New Jersey or Vancouver?

Which team has a better outlook in the next five seasons?

• New Jersey Devils

Votes: 84 61.8%
  • Vancouver Canucks

Votes: 37 27.2%
  • Even

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I guess I'd prefer the "what if" potential of NJ a bit more just because we've already seen most of Vancouver's "core" for several seasons now and they can't make the Playoffs even with multiple Calder winners and a guy who can play Vezina level for long stretches.

We will see if their new management can get them out of their salary cap issues and return good assets for some departing players. I think Vancouver COULD jump right into Playoff contention if they make some shrewd moves with Miller, Myers and/or Boeser.

Also need to see a full season of 1C play from EP. I still have high hopes for him as a top 10C but he's been very inconsistent. Hopefully he hits the gym this entire offseason.

I took the even for the poll question because I'm not sure exactly what he is asking, which team will get more points, zenith highest in regular season and or playoffs?

Too many variables at play here as well with the Canucks UFA's and what direction the team takes.

Both teams have stuff to be excited and worries about IMO.

Reactions: Connor McConnor

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
NJ just needs to get an average goalie like campbell and the outlook swings even more favourably to NJ.

I'm not saying that Campbell is better then Demko just that I think within the next five years the Devils will have better players at every position but Goaltending compared to the Canucks.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It depends.

If Devils are able to land the biggest fish of the off season; Alex DeBrincat

Its the Devils.

Alex is an RFA so he will come at a price so this is an odd thing to say.

The other thing Vancouver has going for them in this, other than a stud goaltender having that part of the equation pretty well backstopped, is that the Western Conference (outside of Colorado) is pretty darn wide open these days. It won't necessarily take much to tip the balance and move from outside the playoffs to in the playoffs in the next few years. A lot of very flawed, incomplete teams made the playoffs in the West this season, with glaring holes in their roster. A lot of those situations look unlikely to change much in the near-term future, as most of those teams are also pretty capped out (or will be by the time they manage to retain key players).

I'd think that landscape in the Western Conference and the Pacific Division particularly, colors the context of Vancouver's outlook in the next handful of years in a potentially more flattering light. :dunno:

While I agree in part some of those other Western conference teams have some really good pieces and better outlooks than the Canucks.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
I would take Jersey but a lot depends on what kind of moves Vancouver makes and what kind of value they get for JT/other pieces being sold.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
In 5 years
Vancouver:

Horvat 32
Miller 34
Pettersson 28
Boeser 30
Garland 31
Hughes 27
Demko 31

New Jersey:

Hischier 28
Hughes 26
Mercer 25
Bratt 28
Hughes 23
Hamilton 34

In 5 years the Devils core are in their prime whereas the Canucks are aging out.

We can't take in to consideration what we think will happen with trades, because unless we have some connection to management and they are telling us this is happening it all just rumors

Although it is about the next 5 years and I took it as in 5 years, so I guess I somewhat misunderstood the project, it's probably still NJ but it's closer.

The question is better looking in the next 5 seasons. Not after 5 seasons. So year 1 , 2 ,3 ,4 ,5. Age isnt that much of a concern for the next 5 years for the Canucks. Maybe for year 4 and 5, but that implies theres no prospects or signings which obviously wont happen.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
can you keep this poll open until after the draft? Vancouver and Devil's fate completely hinge on the rumored deals they are about to make. Signing Kuzmenko does make a slight difference, I think it makes trading away one of Miller or Boeser palatable for short term competitiveness.

Reactions: Connor McConnor

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The question is better looking in the next 5 seasons. Not after 5 seasons. So year 1 , 2 ,3 ,4 ,5. Age isnt that much of a concern for the next 5 years for the Canucks. Maybe for year 4 and 5, but that implies theres no prospects or signings which obviously wont happen.

Ya that's why I added the last line saying that I misunderstood the project.

How can we fairly say what each team will do then? Just because there are rumors out there that Miller is going to get traded "for a haul" how do we quantify that to put in into consideration?

Devils are looking to trade 2OA for an impact player, should I pencil Pasta or DeBrincat into their future lineup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad