Best Exclusives:

• Nintendo Switch

• PS4

• XBOX One

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think any exclusives this generation really transcended the genre tbh. I adore Persona 5 but it's just a more refined Persona 4. Bloodborne got a ton of critical acclaim but it's not Dark Souls, which truly was a transcendent game that influenced so many others.

My reasoning behind Smash being the most important is mainly in the competitive scene. It broke EVO records for registration in its first year at the tournament. It has a massive base of players that will continue to play regularly for years and years. It will remain extremely relevant for a long time.
Are we just treating "massively popular" and "important" as the same thing now, though? Fortnite is "important" by that measure. Substantively, I don't think there's anything meaningfully important about Smash, personally. Meanwhile, Bloodborne is an actual masterpiece in delivery, atmosphere, and game design. There are arguably few stronger examples of Lovecraftian Horror in media (digital, anyways).

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Are we just treating "massively popular" and "important" as the same thing now, though? Fortnite is "important" by that measure. Substantively, I don't think there's anything meaningfully important about Smash, personally. Meanwhile, Bloodborne is an actual masterpiece in delivery, atmosphere, and game design. There are arguably few stronger examples of Lovecraftian Horror in media (digital, anyways).
There's a better one in your avatar.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Don't think it ever really needed to make one, but with that said Animal Crossing arrived at pretty much the perfect moment. Apparently it's already sold a staggering 13 million copies.

I'm guessing the quoted poster may have meant a comeback in this poll, but still, that's a crazy amount!

I don't understand Animal Crossing. I tried, but I really don't. I'm happy so many people got a game they love, though.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Don't think it ever really needed to make one, but with that said Animal Crossing arrived at pretty much the perfect moment. Apparently it's already sold a staggering 13 million copies.

I was referring to the poll :p. It's going great in the real world, and yes animal crossing is just another amazing gem to add to the lineup!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think that this might be looking at things backwards. Instead of being good because they're exclusive, they're exclusive because they're good. Both Microsoft and Sony buy up and ink publishing deals with the top developers to make their games exclusive.

Also, plenty of the best games are not exclusive: Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Grand Theft Auto V, Red Dead Redemption 2, DOOM. Such games prove that they don't need big bucks pumped into them by the console makers to be great and it would not have been a good thing if any of those games to have been released on only one platform, IMO.

I'd think the really good non-exclusive games are much fewer and far between from the exclusive games, and either way lean towards being PC-centric where PC has always long been a non-exclusive platform (though Epic games has something to say about that).

Commenting on your next post though, there's a massive world of difference between Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft making their own in house games to promote and sell their consoles vs Sony/Microsoft simply paying money to have exclusive access to an otherwise non-exclusive game. That is complete bullshit, as rather than sinking money into making something new your dumping money simply so people with your competitors platform can't play the game.

You used Sony as an example with No Man's Sky (though that's an indy dev) but I've always felt Microsoft was the bigger culprit here. Although of course now Epic Games takes the cake in this contest, though personally I'm more forgiving with indy games.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Commenting on your next post though, there's a massive world of difference between Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft making their own in house games to promote and sell their consoles vs Sony/Microsoft simply paying money to have exclusive access to an otherwise non-exclusive game. That is complete bullshit, as rather than sinking money into making something new your dumping money simply so people with your competitors platform can't play the game.

I agree. Perhaps I wasn't clear, but that was the gist of my point, that there's nothing wrong with in-house games and something pretty questionable about "bought" exclusivity.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It used to be Sony by a large margin, but it was largely because they had third-party Japan in their pocket as opposed to any first-party stuff. That's on the decline now, though, for several reasons.

Steam is getting more popular in Japan, so more games end up there.

The Switch sold a lot of units in Japan, so more games end up there.

After getting murdered in 2017, Microsoft remembered Japan existed, so they've been making deals for more third-party stuff (see them pushing Yakuza lately, for example.)

And Sony has transitioned to a western leadership that has been treating Japanese developers like shit since Andrew House left, so all of a sudden those developers are way more interested in bringing their games to more platforms.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Been playing more games due to the whole Covid thing these days. In doing so I have been going through each of the main 3 consoles trying to complete as many of the exclusive games as I can for this generation. It got me thinking about what console people feel has the best set of exclusives.

Here are some off the top of my head;

Nintendo: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Pokemon, BoTW, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Mario and Rabbids, Xeno Blade, etc

Xbox One: Gears of War 4 and 5, Forza Horizon 3 and 4, Halo, Halo Wars 2, Sea of Thieves, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Sunset Overdrive, etc.

PS4: God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, Days Gone, Uncharted 4, Bloodbourne, Last of Us Remastered, Infamous Second Sun, MLB The Show (Up until 2021) etc.

What are people's favourites and why?

PS4, I have my platinum trophy on 5 of those exclusives, they were outstanding and I played the hell out of them. I wish PS4 had a racing game like Forza though.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The Switch exclusives are more up my alley so I voted for Nintendo but the PS4 has had excellent exclusives as well.

I haven't had an Xbox since 2010 so I can't really judge but no Xbox One exclusive ever made me consider getting one.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
God of war, horizon zero dawn, infamous, spiderman, uncharted 4.

Totally forgot about Infamous I have that plat too, underrated game! Which one was the hardest out of those? I thought about attempting God of War but it looks slightly tedious and on the harder side.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Totally forgot about Infamous I have that plat too, underrated game! Which one was the hardest out of those? I thought about attempting God of War but it looks slightly tedious and on the harder side.

Im trying to remember, in god of war if you defeat the queen valkyrie the rest is a cake walk. Uncharted needed to be passed in crushing difficulty but you could use the unlockable game modifiers, instant ammo etc, it also had I think 2 online trophies you needed. None were overly difficult, just a bit of a grind. Spiderman was the most time consuming, trying to buy all the costumes and waiting to trigger all the crime factions in each district, I ended up sitting on top of buildings waiting for the little icon to pop up, it was fairly tedious by the end. I like going for trophies but I’m a fairly average gamer, so if I have a platinum anyone can get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad