Which Skater is Most Important to Re-sign This Summer?

Who is Most Important To Re-Sign.

• Gaudreau

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Johansson

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Someone else

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Reaves

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Who goes, who stays? Size of contract, of course, will factor into things. MJo is 32 yo, and has made 35M over his career. Freddy is 30, and has made 4M. I think Fred goes to the highest bidder, unless it’s really close. This might well be his last contract of any consequence. Neither guy is a MN native.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Went with MarJo.

Hopefully hes relatively cheap and already has chemistry with Boldy.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Went with the offensive dynamo Ryan Reaves.

But more seriously, it's probably Gaudreau and/or MarJo

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Getting 2+ cheap years of Freddy would be most important IMO. MarJo has been a great fit with Boldy, but I also think his potential to repeat for a full season is lower, and if Guerin can work similar cap magic as this year, that second line winger spot can be filled with a UFA trade player with a more realistic cap cost to performance.

The RFAs are going to be interesting, I would like more years of Duhaime than most would expect, I think there is still some untapped potential there. Addison is going to be intriguing, I think he gets moved but it will depend a lot on the assessments over the final games and playoffs.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm going with Freddy. Next year the depth chart would be JEE - Hartman - Rossi - Dewar - Fogarty - Bankier. Any injury would be a huge problem, and that's assuming Rossi is actually ready. Freddy has skill that occasionally translates to some degree of offense and plays a responsible and reliable game.

My only concern is that he'll have priced himself out. If that happens, they'll need to bring in a cheap free-agent center, and it's probably going to be another Sam Steel type of player.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Whichever of Johansson/Freddy is willing to sign 2-3 years at a reasonable cap hit. If I had to pick just one, probably Freddy Hockey for positional importance and flexibility.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm going with Freddy. Next year the depth chart would be JEE - Hartman - Rossi - Dewar - Fogarty - Bankier. Any injury would be a huge problem, and that's assuming Rossi is actually ready. Freddy has skill that occasionally translates to some degree of offense and plays a responsible and reliable game.

My only concern is that he'll have priced himself out. If that happens, they'll need to bring in a cheap free-agent center, and it's probably going to be another Sam Steel type of player.
If Steel signs for 1M, I wonder if they might not bring him back.

I think they bring MJo back for 2/4M.

Freddy will get 4/17-18M on the open market, I think. He's a 40 pt. #3C who plays great D, skates well, and is decent on the dot. Some GM's might be intrigued with the skills he shows during SO's, thinking that he might be capable of more, much like Haula blossomed once he left here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minnesota

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
After the Gaudreau signing:

Kaprizov (9) - Hartman (1.7) - Zuccarello (6)
Johansson (?) - Eriksson Ek (5.25) - Boldy (7)
Foligno (3.1) - Gaudreau (2.1) - 3RW (?)
Duhaime (?) - Dewar (.8) - Shaw (?)
13F (?)
Parise (7.372)

Brodin (6) - Spurgeon (7.575)
Middleton (2.45) - Faber (.925)
Merrill (1.2) - Addison (?)
Goligoski (2)
Suter (7.372)

Gustavsson (?)
Fleury (3.5)

$10.16M in cap space with an $83.5M cap.

If you give Duhaime $1.05M per year (he should get 1/2 of what Gaudreau gets at most), Shaw $800k (matches Dewar), the 13th forward the same $800k, and plug Walker into the 3rd line RW spot (or if somehow Rossi pushes Hartman down there), you're down to $6.65M in cap space.

Going to want at least a ~$1M buffer, so down to $5.65M in cap space, with 3 spots to fill: Johansson (#2LW), Gustavsson (#1G) and Addison (#3RD) for an average of $1.88M per slot. Seems awfully low for both Johansson and Gustavsson. Safe to say something has to give for both to come back, and I think it's pretty clear that Addison is the starting point.

Foligno, possible. Fleury and Goligoski, possible, though they hold all the cards. Other than that, really outside chances of Zuccarello or Middleton.

Fleury is the key, IMO. I know people probably wouldn't mind Foligno gone, but I'm quite there yet as far looking for it happen. Being able to move Fleury, and freeing up ~$1.25M each for Gustavsson and Johansson would probably do the trick.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Mojo has been great, but i dont love the idea of committing a lot of term.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
After the Gaudreau signing:

Kaprizov (9) - Hartman (1.7) - Zuccarello (6)
Johansson (?) - Eriksson Ek (5.25) - Boldy (7)
Foligno (3.1) - Gaudreau (2.1) - 3RW (?)
Duhaime (?) - Dewar (.8) - Shaw (?)
13F (?)
Parise (7.372)

Brodin (6) - Spurgeon (7.575)
Middleton (2.45) - Faber (.925)
Merrill (1.2) - Addison (?)
Goligoski (2)
Suter (7.372)

Gustavsson (?)
Fleury (3.5)

$10.16M in cap space with an $83.5M cap.

If you give Duhaime $1.05M per year (he should get 1/2 of what Gaudreau gets at most), Shaw $800k (matches Dewar), the 13th forward the same $800k, and plug Walker into the 3rd line RW spot (or if somehow Rossi pushes Hartman down there), you're down to $6.65M in cap space.

Going to want at least a ~$1M buffer, so down to $5.65M in cap space, with 3 spots to fill: Johansson (#2LW), Gustavsson (#1G) and Addison (#3RD) for an average of $1.88M per slot. Seems awfully low for both Johansson and Gustavsson. Safe to say something has to give for both to come back, and I think it's pretty clear that Addison is the starting point.

Foligno, possible. Fleury and Goligoski, possible, though they hold all the cards. Other than that, really outside chances of Zuccarello or Middleton.

Fleury is the key, IMO. I know people probably wouldn't mind Foligno gone, but I'm quite there yet as far looking for it happen. Being able to move Fleury, and freeing up ~$1.25M each for Gustavsson and Johansson would probably do the trick.
Out of curiosity, how are you getting 10M? CapFriendly is showing just shy of 7M

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Cap Friendly is counting Novak, Petan, Rossi and Walker.
I think Rossi is debatable whether he should be counted or not but confused on why they would count Novak against the NHL cap as he's never played but whatever. I'll have to update my post in the other thread. Though, we're really discussing the same thing in 3 different threads lol

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think Rossi is debatable whether he should be counted or not but confused on why they would count Novak against the NHL cap as he's never played but whatever. I'll have to update my post in the other thread. Though, we're really discussing the same thing in 3 different threads lol
I'm getting up to the $10M, and then counting one of Walker/Rossi to bring it back down. I just like to start with the guys that I know are going to be on the roster (unless a trade happens), and then go from there.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mojo has been great, but i dont love the idea of committing a lot of term.
The great AAV that Freddy signed for has opened the door for MarJo/NYquist(2.5M?) and Gus(3.5M?)to be signed. I think Duhaime will be the next priority after those, then maybe Reaves, and a #7 Dman, though one of Hunt or ROR might get a spot.

The dream scenario would be getting Nyquist and MJo, but that seems unlikely, unless some more salary is moved out (Goligoski, Foligno, Zucc). I mean, i like Zucc, but would you rather have him, or Nyquist + M Jo + whatever Zucc nets in trade(equivalent of a mid-late 1st, i would think)? Nyquist and M Jo aren't young, but are three years younger than Zucc, and seem to be a fit here. Making that trade would allow all sorts of other things to happen.
I would rather move Goligoski and/or Foligno, but they love Foligno, and Goligoski has the NMC.

Reactions: Sweetnut

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
dumba & steele gone, even with ntc i'd try and trade fleury & goli. i would also trade merrill. i like addison but if we can't make it work maybe ask AZ for a 23-3rd & a 24-2nd? pens may also want him but lack picks. i'd keep reaves. fyi if mojo won't take a lowball offer zucker might.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
@57special Russo said the Wild will do everything they can to re-sign Zuccarello. He means a lot to this team, not just his skills. I'd say Zucc will accept a team friendly deal, because he loves it here.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
dumba & steele gone, even with ntc i'd try and trade fleury & goli. i would also trade merrill. i like addison but if we can't make it work maybe ask AZ for a 23-3rd & a 24-2nd? pens may also want him but lack picks. i'd keep reaves. fyi if mojo won't take a lowball offer zucker might.
No thanks.

Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucker's reason for coming back here(marriage to Carli) is gone, as they have divorced. Would not want him back, anyway. While he was vg this year, he was dismal in the previous two, playing in half the games, and scoring under 20 points in both of those seasons.

*******Breaking Zucker news**********

apparently he has just bought a 4.3M Linden Hills home...hmmm....

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
@57special Russo said the Wild will do everything they can to re-sign Zuccarello. He means a lot to this team, not just his skills. I'd say Zucc will accept a team friendly deal, because he loves it here.
After what he’s shown this year “team friendly” falls around 4th line wing value. He brings literally nothing if Kap isn’t putting him on the score sheet.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Zucker's reason for coming back here(marriage to Carli) is gone, as they have divorced. Would not want him back, anyway. While he was vg this year, he was dismal in the previous two, playing in half the games, and scoring under 20 points in both of those seasons.

*******Breaking Zucker news**********

apparently he has just bought a 4.3M Linden Hills home...hmmm....
I wouldn't read into it too much. Likely wants to live here to be closer to his children.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That would be something they would address this year at about the same time. A lot would depend on how the then 36-37(July birthday) yo's game is aging.
If we were a normal team, w/o cap penalties, then sure, you re-sign him, but we would still be under a 15M cap penalty in that year. Maybe they do a "reverse Goligoski" deal with him, arranging for him to come back for only 1-2M for one year(24-25), with a handshake deal for the year afterward(25-26, which happens to be Kap's last contract year)at 4-5M, when they can afford it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad