Speculation: Which Prospects will make team out of camp

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Hi all i am new to the board. I Have been a long time poster in the Asylum (stltoday).

Just thought I would start out with a post asking who you all thought would make the team out of camp.

Ville Husso
Robert Thomas
Jordan Kyrou
Klim Kostin
Jake Walman
Sammy Blais
Erik Foley
Nolan Stevens.

Also who should the blues move on from before season.

Reactions: RoarBacon

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Hi all i am new to the board. I Have been a long time poster in the Asylum (sttoday).

Just thought I would start out with a post asking who you all thought would make the team out of camp.

Ville Husso - if there isn’t a backup signed NHL, if backup signed 100% AHL
Robert Thomas - guaranteed NHL 99.9%
Jordan Kyrou - if no free agents/trades made NHL 75%, otherwise 100% in AHL
Klim Kostin - AHL 95%
Jake Walman - AHL 100%
Sammy Blais - AHL 75%
Erik Foley - AHL 100%
Nolan Stevens - AHL 100%

Also who should the blues move on from before season.
Answers in bold.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Blais nearly made the team (and should have) out of camp last year. This is a big offseason for him, and I think he makes the team. Thomas is a given. Kyrou has 50/50 shot, I think.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I’m going to say Thomas is the most likely, followed by Thompson and Blais. I don’t think any, besides Thomas, will be a mainstay from the beginning. By halfway through the season, I’ll expect to see Kyrou and Walman to get a taste of the NHL just because of injuries. Husso is highly dependent on the back-up the Blues will probably sign. If they don’t sign one, than it will be between him and Binnington for the position, and I would think Binnington would get the nod. I don’t think we’ll see anyone else I didn’t mention.

I should point out that I’m incredibly conservative when it comes to prospects. I think the jump to the NHL is harder than most realize, so I don’t really pencil anyone in unless he is special. Thomas and Fabbri are that kind of special, just to provide reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: STLBLUES44

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Welcome!

You might see one or two of these guys move ahead of the pack in prospect camp, but the most relevant answers will come from the Traverse City Tournament in early September and from main camp later that month. It is really hard to make decisions on player based on their play against peers, but we have 7 pre-season games to separate the wheat from the chaff, and it is encouraging that we have no split squads and only one back-to-back in the pre-season, so any prospect with even a punchers chance of making the final cut could easily get a look in 5-6 pre-season games.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
It really depends on what FAs and trades we do or don't make. As is, we could be looking at this:

Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko
Steen Thomas Fabbri
Sobotka Berglund Kyrou
Jaskin Barbashev Soshnikov

Edmundson Pietrangelo
Dunn Parayko
Bouwmeester Schmaltz

Allen
Husso

I think that Thomas, Kyrou, and Husso are the most likely out of the prospects to make it out of camp. I'm not sure if Husso or Kyrou stick past the nine game trial, but I think it's hopeful.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Thompson is just already on the team. I don't think they're going to bounce him back down.

Thomas will make it.

After that, it's up in the air. I have a feeling Kyrou is likelier to be a regular on the Blues this season than anybody else after that. Blais might start the year with the Blues, but he hasn't shown a whole lot yet and Kyrou just isn't an AHL project. He might need to round out his game, but he's too fast and creative. And if they want him to bulk up, they'd be better served giving him careful minutes in the NHL and working with the Blues' training staff.

When was the last time the Blues had a scoring-line forward who spent even a full season in the AHL? They're not common. Especially players with Kyrou's particular qualities. Anymore, if forwards spend multiple seasons in the AHL and then eventually become scoring-line players in the NHL, it's almost always bigger guys (Brouwer, Stewart). If Kyrou is actually as untouchable as we've been told, he should be on the Blues for good before the season is over.

Edit: Sanford is a big unknown for me. Probably on the starting roster, but they aren't just going to hand it to him - he has to earn it and some other guys are coming along to challenge that spot.

Last edited:

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Poganski, Musil and Mikkola are dark horses IMO--especially if we move on from Jaskin or Thorburn, don't bring back Brodziak, or if J-Bo or Gunnarsson have a setback.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Want to preface this by saying that everything depends on potential trades/UFA acquisitions. For example moving out one of Berglund/Sobotka would obviously make more room on the roster or signing a UFA like Bozak would leave less room. And there is a very real possibility some prospects are moved for immediate top 6 help. It's still way too early to accurately forecast any of this...but it's fun to discuss, so what the heck, why not?

Out of camp, I think Thomas and Thompson are very very likely to make the team. I think at least one of Sanford and Blais is likely too, but not a lock by any means.

Kyrou I think starts in the AHL. Would be awesome if he forced his way onto the roster out of camp, and certainly wouldn't rule it out (especially given the current roster's glaring weakness at RW). Just think he would be best served getting his feet wet in professional hockey at the AHL level first.

Kostin, Stevens, Foley, Walman, and Husso more than likely start in the AHl as well IMO. Mikkola is a total wild card, but I think it's possible he or Walman make the team depending on Gunnar/Bouwmeester's health.

Reactions: 67Blues

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I think that Thomas, Kyrou, and Husso are the most likely out of the prospects to make it out of camp. I'm not sure if Husso or Kyrou stick past the nine game trial, but I think it's hopeful.

For Husso and Kyrou, the "nine" game trial isn't a thing. That's exclusive to Thomas (or any other CHL'er who's not 20 years old), and simply means they can delay the start of their ELC by playing fewer than 10 NHL games in a single season. AHL'ers are pros, and their contract starts regardless of whether they're in the NHL or not. Kryou has graduated the OHL.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Unless he gets injured again, Thomas should at least get a cup of coffee before getting sent back to juniors.

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
I actually really liked Blais last year, I'm hoping he gets a chance to stick.
Same here. If they can move Sobotka out I think Blais could be an impact forward this year. He'll need to take advantage of every chance he gets because there are a lot of people that will be fighting for that spot.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’m really high on Foley too. I’m not sure if hes quite ready this year, but he’s somebody that will easily crack our bottom 6 sooner than later. Good skill and speed and adds much needed toughness. He calls himself a power forward. My kind of player

Reactions: stl76 and KirkOut

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Hey - the good news about UFAs not wanting to come to St. Louis, and the other GMs setting ridiculous prices on their own assets is that we will be giving the rookies every chance in the world to grab a roster spot by the horns. If a Foley or Sanford can't beat out a Sobotka or Jaskin, then that's on them...but you can be sure that if they do, they'll likely be given a real opportunity considering the anemic offense we've been running out there year after year.

Reactions: KirkOut

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I’m going to say Thomas is the most likely, followed by Thompson and Blais. I don’t think any, besides Thomas, will be a mainstay from the beginning. By halfway through the season, I’ll expect to see Kyrou and Walman to get a taste of the NHL just because of injuries. Husso is highly dependent on the back-up the Blues will probably sign. If they don’t sign one, than it will be between him and Binnington for the position, and I would think Binnington would get the nod. I don’t think we’ll see anyone else I didn’t mention.

I should point out that I’m incredibly conservative when it comes to prospects. I think the jump to the NHL is harder than most realize, so I don’t really pencil anyone in unless he is special. Thomas and Fabbri are that kind of special, just to provide reference.

Bolded: what you mean Binnington would get the nod?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The way I see it:

Thomas - guaranteed

Thompson vs. Kyrou battling for RW spot on the 2nd or 3rd line - probably edge to Thompson right now.

Blais vs. Sanford battling for bottom 6/extra forward spot - I think one could make the team. They are both at the point where I question how much more time they need in the AHL...I'd rather they start learning the NHL pace and rounding out their games. Both need to get stronger, if they do that this summer, they can contribute in this type of role. I don't see them being top 6 forwards but rather solid 3rd liners hopefully.

So overall, I think we will carry 3 rookies, with probably only 2 playing regularly.

No defensemen, not enough room.

Husso gets a few starts here and there but spends most of the time carrying the load in the AHL. I think this is the best bet, and then at the start of 2019 he should really be NHL ready.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Bolded: what you mean Binnington would get the nod?
Well because he fits more the traditional back-up role. I’d think the Blues would rather give Husso the reigns in San Antonio just so he can be the go-to guy. I think the Blues would rather not have Husso play infrequently sure to his age and potential.

I don’t think less of Husso. I just think Binnington makes more sense as a back-up right now.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Well because he fits more the traditional back-up role. I’d think the Blues would rather give Husso the reigns in San Antonio just so he can be the go-to guy. I think the Blues would rather not have Husso play infrequently sure to his age and potential.

I don’t think less of Husso. I just think Binnington makes more sense as a back-up right now.
We've pass this babysit step with Husso. Other NHL franchise has given younger goaltender change to play up rather them to develope at A and they been succesful it, I don't understand why Blues can't do it too?

If there is injury he should get change to play NHL level as call-up and its not Binnington anymore. Husso deserved NHL starts last season, but Blues sucked that heavily coaching staff made choice to run Shakey Allen instead of giving change to kid. If there is icetime for Husso or Binnington, I bet its Husso instead of Binnington. It doesn't matter if Husso sits 3-5 games as back-up if he get at least 1-2 games in.

I view if Husso gets change to play up we won't see him at go at AHL anymore. #1 goaltender hype :bb:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad