Prospect Info: Which Prospect Will Take The Biggest Step Next Year?

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Every year there is a Leafs prospect or two (or three) that really takes a step in his development and garners a lot of attention here after being a bit of an unknown. Last year it was guys like Johnson and Bibeau. Ok, so outside of guys like Finn and Nylander who we know will be good - who do you think will raise themselves from a B or C prospect to an A prospect this year? Why?

Personally, I think Johnson & Leivo will take another big step towards becoming solid top 6 wingers, and guys like Valiev and Loov will be having us drool about our future D corp

So - it's not who is the best prospect - but rather who will take the biggest jump forward? Your thoughts?

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Think Percy would be a great candidate to make the opening day roster, definitely smart enough, hope he has a great camp.

Ace88*

my boy Carter Verhaeghe is going to rip the OHL a new one, Connor Brown-style.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
Connor Brown proves he's a legit prospect in the AHL. Kid plays Mario Kart 64... he knows what he's doing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think Granberg will be making the biggest step...from the AHL to the NHL.

That is what I would have posted as well.

He is the most likely Marlie graduate to become an NHLer this year, even more so now that Ranger has officially moved on and Leafs have a roster spot for a Dman.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Viktor "Doctor" Loov. Size, skating, reach, sandpaper, and two-way play. He's Granberg with better skating and some offensive upside.

Also expect Toninato to have a break out sophomore year at UMN-D.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Nylander, Leivo, Brown form a line on the Marlies, with Nylander and Brown challenging for the AHL scoring title.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
playing with perlini will help.

i can also see toninato having a great year, but i think there was some off ice issues with that team, so we'll see.

but ahl to nhl is the biggest leap, so it's either granberg, or maybe percy. i think granberg is ahead because he's more physical.

actually, the marlies d-corp is stacked again even if granberg makes it to the nhl, the marlies have:

percy, nilsson, loov, knodel, finn (?) holzer, macwilliam

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Don't think people will like my answer but I think it'll be Biggs. He was thrown pretty low on the depth chart in his first year in the AHL but I think it's similar to the Clarkson situation where there's no where to go but up for him.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Don't think people will like my answer but I think it'll be Biggs. He was thrown pretty low on the depth chart in his first year in the AHL but I think it's similar to the Clarkson situation where there's no where to go but up for him.

Just like Clarkson, there is always sideways.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It might not be the most likely possibility, but Connor Brown could go from mediocre prospect to budding star in a hurry.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
I think the "bust" Tyler Biggs will start feeling comfortable in pro hockey and take some positive steps forward in his development. But overall it won't matter because he is still a 21 year old "bust" isn't he? :)

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Surprised to be the only one who voted carrick, he is a good all around player, shown a lot of offense at the end of the season !!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think the "bust" Tyler Biggs will start feeling comfortable in pro hockey and take some positive steps forward in his development. But overall it won't matter because he is still a 21 year old "bust" isn't he? :)

Josh Leivo and Tyler Biggs are about the same age (Biggs 1 month older). Both in their 1st AHL seasons

Leivo (3rd round pick) .... 59 games 23 goals 19 assists 42 points & 27 pims
Biggs (1st round pick)..... 57 games 7 goals 2 assists 9 points & 39 pims

The expectation of a 1st round pick are always higher than a 3rd rounder.

Biggs almost needs to take a big step or else this season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I went with Gauthier, Toninato and Biggs.

Gauthier is more of a should then a hope. He really needs to step up his offensive game. He's got the size, strength and smarts to be a force around the net just as much as he is in other aspects of his game,e specially in terms of taking care of his own end. I don't expect him to dangle the opposition or even stickhandle his way through the neutral zone because that's not his game. Where he'll get his points and goals will be close to the net. No reason to think he can't take the next step here.

Toninato had a decent freshman year at UMD, but I think he can do a lot better then what he was able to put up in terms of offence. I'm not overly familiar with the NCAA teams and where he'll be in the lineup, like top PP and/or PK, top 6 or bottom 6, etc. Hopefully the camp he just attended really elevates his confidence and overall play to another level. He's got skill, mobility and size... so all there's left is to put it together.

Biggs had such a polarizing season with the Marlies. He's a frustrating player to watch because he could really be a force physically and has good skill to go with it, but both are so inconsistent. With some depth leaving and/or graduating, Biggs should be able to grab a spot in the top 9 of the Marlies and actually be a factor. There's no excuse really. Spott said good things about him about his game on and off the ice, but it's clear that Biggs wasn't able to provide anything consistently, or else he wouldn't have been a healthy scratch so much.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Josh Leivo and Tyler Biggs are about the same age (Biggs 1 month older). Both in their 1st AHL seasons

Leivo (3rd round pick) .... 59 games 23 goals 19 assists 42 points & 27 pims
Biggs (1st round pick)..... 57 games 7 goals 2 assists 9 points & 39 pims

The expectation of a 1st round pick are always higher than a 3rd rounder.

Biggs almost needs to take a big step or else this season.

Everyone knows this...we know Biggs has been disappointing. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad