Which player fits the bill?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I know all the names, and I've read a lot of the scouting but still I haven't seen all that many of this year's draft prospects play in real games. So, I'm depending on the bright minds of this site to help me.

Ideally this is what I'd like to see the Bruins get:

* a winger
* not a "stopper" defensively, but should be a plus in his own end
* grit and toughness
* a finisher not a creator or set up guy

Who in the 5-15 range of the 1st round fits that description the best?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I know all the names, and I've read a lot of the scouting but still I haven't seen all that many of this year's draft prospects play in real games. So, I'm depending on the bright minds of this site to help me.

* a winger
* grit and toughness

No one...

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
Maybe Dana Tyrell.. I don't know if he'll slip in that early though.

If you're thinking specifically for Boston's 8th overall pick, I'll say no one.
You can probably get 50 of these guys with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Take your chance at a potential elite scorer, playmaker or 2nd pairing defenseman at 8th overall.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site

* a winger
* grit and toughness

Cherepanov & Hjalmarsson are the closest I can think of off the top of my head, more so Hjalmarsson.

vincetheprince

Mar 28, 2007
Cherepanov & Hjalmarsson are the closest I can think of off the top of my head, more so Hjalmarsson.

Hjalmarsson is not very gritty nor though.. He's weak and he gets beaten in corners pretty easily.

Im thinking Stefan Legein although you could probably get him in the 2nd round.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think the highest rated guy that will be there at #8 and fits the description is Oscar Moller. He'd still be a reach at #8, but if they could trade down to #12-#16, they probably wouldn't miss-out on him. He's often listed as a center, but I've seen him play wing, too, and he probably projects as a wing in the pros.

Trading up for JvR would also get you the player that you describe. However, you'd have to go all the way up to #1 or #2 overall, probably. One of the top three teams is bound to be in love with the kid. So, trading up for him will likely be very difficult.

EDIT: Oops...

...just noticed this. Oscar Moller is your guy, IMO. Plus, he already plays for the Bruins...of Chilliwack.

http://www.chilliwackbruins.com/content/bruins/moller.php ...check out the article links at the
bottom.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3034644246250038401&hl=en ...good(kinda cheesey) video.

Last edited:

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
I think the highest rated guy that will be there at #8 and fits the description is Oscar Moller. He'd still be a reach at #8, but if they could trade down to #12-#16, they probably wouldn't miss-out on him. He's often listed as a center, but I've seen him play wing, too, and he probably projects as a wing in the pros.

Trading up for JvR would also get you the player that you describe. However, you'd have to go all the way up to #1 or #2 overall, probably. One of the top three teams is bound to be in love with the kid. So, trading up for him will likely be very difficult.

EDIT: Oops...

...just noticed this. Oscar Moller is your guy, IMO. Plus, he already plays for the Bruins...of Chilliwack.

http://www.chilliwackbruins.com/content/bruins/moller.php ...check out the article links at the
bottom.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3034644246250038401&hl=en ...good(kinda cheesey) video.

nope, Moller is much more of a playmaker than finisher, and he goes into corners an traffic but is no different from cherry or hjalmarsson when it comes to "grit or toughness"

rt

May 13, 2004
nope, Moller is much more of a playmaker than finisher, and he goes into corners an traffic but is no different from cherry or hjalmarsson when it comes to "grit or toughness"

Not based on what I've seen and read. Any scouting report I've seen that refers to Moller as a playmaker, is very old. Written around the time he came over. Everything since is all about his shot and puck posession. The NHL media guide being the lone exception, there. Moller is almost always described as a very gritty player. Everything I've seen supports that. Hjalmarsson, fom what I've seen looks like a cream puff, out there. He's always on his ass, and can never get done, what he wants to do, because he's so easily knocked off the puck. For Cherepanov, it's kind of hard to tell. The Russian game is so much different from the North American game (or even the Scandenavian game). I've never seen him play, other than some clips and some highlights, either. I've yet to read a scouting report that refers to him as a gritty player, however. In fact, most seem to say that is an area in which he needs work. Also, while Moller's defensive game could use some more polish (typical of 17 year old players), almost everything I've read on Cherepanov claims that his defensive game is either completely non-existant, or needs alot of work.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm no scout, by the way. Almost everything I go off of is second hand information. So if I come off as sounding like I really know what I'm talking about, I apologize, because that is not the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad