Which player could pull a Boyd Deveraux and mess up the Leafs draft position?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hopefully this won't happen but let's say it's the last Leafs game of the season and there is no guarantee where they will finish in the standings, which player on their roster could possibly pull a Boyd Deveraux and score a few goals to give them a win which might cost them last place and the best odds at selecting 1st overall in 2016. Personally I think it could be Colin Greening because he seems rejuvenated to be back in the NHL and has had decent chances along with scoring 2 goals with the Leafs, plus one of them was a late game tying goal against the Rangers playing 6 on 5.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
with the lottery as it is - i don't even think it really matters, does it?

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012

Way i look at it, getting destroyed in the lottery from last place = 4th overall.
...which is better than 5th or 6th. Even if the Leafs don't win 1st overall, ... best to avoid falling any further down right?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Way i look at it, getting destroyed in the lottery from last place = 4th overall.
...which is better than 5th or 6th. Even if the Leafs don't win 1st overall, ... best to avoid falling any further down right?
I agree because the Leafs need to get the draft position possible. As hard as it would be to see them fall from 1st overall to 4th overall, it could be a lot worse if they don't at least finish in last place overall.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

McDavid will win some games for the Oilers almost single handily so I see them going on a bit of a run. Either way best scenario is Austin Matthews and the worst case is 4th which is one of the Finns or Nylander's little brother in my opinion and that ain't bad either.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
PAP.

Minor injury in the game before the deadline.

Doesn't get traded at the deadline.

Comes back, gets hot, and bye bye goes Matthews.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
Boyd Devereux got us Nazem Kadri instead of Brayden Schenn so Id say that worked out

Not only that, but had we gotten Brayden Schenn I doubt we would have ended up with JVR for Luke. Part of the appeal of getting Luke to Philly was to reunite him with his brother (this was a day after the Staal's got reunited in Carolina).

So we should thank Deveraux for JVR + Kadri over the Schenn bro's :sarcasm:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Never understood the point of the change. Yeah ok it's more fair the bottom 3 is all decided by lottery so it reduces the chances a tanking team picks top 2 or 3 but the real problem wasn't addressed; the same team winning multiple 1st overalls, or even multiple lottery picks for that matter. I would have to say PAP or Holland though, and hopefully nobody pulls an Aubin either

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
McDavid will win some games for the Oilers almost single handily so I see them going on a bit of a run. Either way best scenario is Austin Matthews and the worst case is 4th which is one of the Finns or Nylander's little brother in my opinion and that ain't bad either.
Everyone keeps saying this about McD but I'm still waiting...

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Everyone keeps saying this about McD but I'm still waiting...

I'd say McDavid pretty much put the team on his back to win against the Sabres in their last game. I think it'll happen a couple more times in the last part of the season against weaker teams.

As far as our team goes, I think someone who's been struggling to score all year only to finally score in the last couple of games could definitely be Grabner. He's having his worst year statistically.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not only that, but had we gotten Brayden Schenn I doubt we would have ended up with JVR for Luke. Part of the appeal of getting Luke to Philly was to reunite him with his brother (this was a day after the Staal's got reunited in Carolina).

So we should thank Deveraux for JVR + Kadri over the Schenn bro's :sarcasm:
While at the time the thought of trading Luke to play with Brayden in Philadelphia might have been a reason for the Flyers to trade JVR for him, that did not matter this past January when Luke was traded to Los Angeles.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Grabner - speedy guy known for scoring in bunches. Also, he's been cold for so long and been such a reliable black hole for scoring opportunities, putting a stake in the Leafs' draft hopes would be the perfect punctuation on a a dreadful season.

Last edited:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Greening was just demoted, was going to vote for him, but going with Laich instead, though not sure I agree he fits within the parameters of a Boyd Devereaux comparison.

Devereaux was a marginal NHLer who went super hot to close out the season, winning pivotal games that earned the team points the pro-tanking fans didn't want.

Laich is a legit NHLer who CAN score goals, same with Parenteau, Holland, and Grabner. At this point Boyes is done... Greening fits the bill perfectly except he's now in the AHL, same with Arcobello (not on the list).

But Laich is the best bet to suddenly get hot. He has the lowest PDO of all the players on the poll, excluding Greening, which is the basis for my vote.

If a player is unlucky all season (so far), it stands to reason their fortunes should change, much to our detriment.

Parenteau is the only player on the list who is sporting a PDO over 100, so he's probably the least likely to produce anything meaningful the rest of the way, especially considering the minor injury he's working through.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014

The chances of a top 3 pick drop drastically between finishing 30th and finishing 29th. We have over a 60 percent chance to pick top 3 if we finish last, something like a 40 percent chance should we finish 29th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad