Which one will Holland sign?

RedWingsNow*

Redden shoots left.
Scott Gomez shoots left.

If either guy shot right, they'd be a lot more attractive.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
This was seriously my first thought when i found out they could be bought out now. Realistically though i think there would only be a small chance at Redden, no way for Gomez.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Both these guys have the ability to play in the NHL it is their contracts keeping them out. If they sign for around 1 million that is a good deal, I can even see Gomez getting a little more he actually does a good job controlling play hasn't lost a step just had a brutal go of it on a big deal in two big markets. I think a team like Nashville or Columbus would be wise to target him. Redden is a decent puck mover and a good number five or six now. I want bigger targets but should they strike out, as stop gaps you can do a lot worse than these two not that anyone wants to hear that around here. Cannot see either one right now but have no problem with either assuming is part of a much bigger plan.

Last edited:

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
no joke if Redden can still skate and make a good outlet pass id offer him a 1 year 1 million dollar contract lol

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I wouldn't mind seeing a Redden signing if he's okay with going to the AHL

the Wings have some serious depth problems on D after their top 7

some team will probably give him an NHL spot though

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
On a side note to this will we take them, I am glad the NHL and NHLPA came to a quick decision on this. I thought the NHLPA would have to file something in relation to these two guys being "bubble wrapped" and had a compelling case.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
In a shortened season and the possibility to grab better players before the salary crunch...I'd pass on both. Although these 2 are serviceable or better, rather see what we got and/or make a big trade

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If I had to pick, I'd say neither, but I voted both because why not? Be sort of funny if it happens. I think Gomez might be a fair signing, though - provided there's an injury or two, and/or Holland is willing to move a forward (Miller). Our center depth (or lack of it) has come up lately, and we know it impacts our ability to roll four good lines - especially of the three scoring lines/one grind line format. Helm's already hurt. Abdelkader is better on the wing. etc. With Gomez, we can have that extra line that can realistically be expected to score a few goals.

z-D-Brunner
Franzen-Flip-sammy
Cleary-Gomez-Bert
Gator-Helm-Tootoo

Do I love that third line? No. Does it need to play as much as our fourth line? Also no. But I like the make-up of those lines more than I like our current lines.

Also, if there is an injury to a wing in that top9, I like the idea of slotting Tatar/Nyquist in next to Gomez than next to Helm.

Rip it apart. Say we don't need more old guys (and if the summer had played out differently, I'd probably agree). But I can see how Gomez could work out well with what we have.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Gomez is a steaming pile. He's done.

I have no idea about Redden since he hasn't played in the NHL in so long. I would be willing to give him a look, because the D is looking pretty squiffy this year and he's got to be better than Kindl and Colaiacovo.

I voted neither, since they won't sign either.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I don't think he signs either, but Redden is the far more likely of the two.

Almost no chance at Gomez. We already have a surplus of forwards plus have Knuble in camp too.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I voted both too.

Gomez, for a cheaper contract, is still okay. They've been wanting to add a top six winger for a long time. Yes, I know he's a center, but that never stops the Wings from putting them on the wing either with Dats or Z. :) Or he could center one of the bottom six lines.

As for Redden... Our blue line is pretty spotty. He could be a top 4-5 guy easily. Just now sure what condition he's in. NYR put him in the A to get cap relief because they've been seriously trying to load up. On a cheaper contract, and a chance to impress on a good team, he just might up his game.

They have one thing Holland loves: NHL Experience.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If they sign Redden to compete with Kindl for the #6 or #7 spot, then eh whatever.

If they sign Redden and it bumps Brendan Smith to GR, and we start the season with Nyquist and Smith in Grand Rapids, I will be sick to my stomach.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I voted neither. I can see Redden pulling a Brent Sopel and perhaps coming to training camp next season and then signing with someone like Chicago or St Louis or Nashville since we are not likely to offer him as much money.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
If they remain unsigned at the outset, any team, including the Wings who encounter some injuries early one will probably pull the trigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad