Which ONE player did the Jets really missed on in the first round?

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
Since 2011, if you could pick ONE first round draft player that was still on board but the Jets didn't pick who would you pick that player to be? I mean, a player that the Jets could have chosen but passed on and may really regret it later on.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Since 2011, if you could pick ONE first round draft player that was still on board but the Jets didn't pick who would you pick that player to be? I mean, a player that the Jets could have chosen but passed on and may really regret it later on.

To be honest, I'm not sure there are many if any players from 2011-2015 that I think will be considerably better than the Jets' first pick...

2011 (Scheifele): Maybe Gaudreau or Kucherov, but I think Scheifele might end up being as valuable as either of them, or anyone picked after him.

2012 (Trouba): Maybe Forsberg, but I don't think there's much gap and the Jets have a slew of good scoring forwards in the system.

2013 (Morrissey): It's a bit early, but maybe Theodore or a forward like Duclair or Wennberg. But I still think that Morrissey has top-4 potential, in which case there's not much to choose.

2014 (Ehlers): Hard not to be thrilled by this pick. The only player I would consider at this point would be Larkin. Fabbri and Pastrnak also look good, but I think that in the long run Ehlers will be the better player.

2015 (Connor): Can't think of anyone I'd prefer at this point.

2016 (Laine): Easy choice.

If we look at additional first rounders...

2015 (Roslovic): Maybe Aho or Larsson, but I think Roslovic has a lot of potential and could be a #2C at some point.

2016 (Stanley): Where do we start? Rubtsov, Johansen, Asplund....

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
OP specified first rounders, so I'm assuming guys like Kucherov, Gaudreau, Duclair, etc. aren't up for consideration.

While I like Josh Morrissey as a prospect, I have a feeling there will be a few 2013 first rounders taken after him that will go on to have better careers. Wennberg, Burakovsky and Theodore are three that spring to mind.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
OP specified first rounders, so I'm assuming guys like Kucherov, Gaudreau, Duclair, etc. aren't up for consideration.

While I like Josh Morrissey as a prospect, I have a feeling there will be a few 2013 first rounders taken after him that will go on to have better careers. Wennberg, Burakovsky and Theodore are three that spring to mind.

I think it's a bit early to put Wennberg, Burakovsky and Theodore ahead of Morrissey. I still think Morrissey has very good potential.

By the way, I think this thread illustrates that the Jets haven't taken many really false steps in the first round (except maybe Stanley). Few teams can make the same claim since 2011.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think Morrissey and Stanley could both be reaches that could look worse compared to consensus picks.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Need more time to see but at least there doesn't seem to be anything like an andrew mcbain over neely or elyniuk over leetch. sigh

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think it's a bit early to put Wennberg, Burakovsky and Theodore ahead of Morrissey. I still think Morrissey has very good potential.

By the way, I think this thread illustrates that the Jets haven't taken many really false steps in the first round (except maybe Stanley). Few teams can make the same claim since 2011.

To early to say who will, but not too early to say who you think.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Us and Boston maybe havnt :laugh:

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
In 1982 the year after the Jets pick Hawerchuk, they pick Jim Kyte at 12th overall. They missed Dave Andreychuk at 16th who went on to play 1639 games and 640 goals

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
2011 ok
2012 there's an argument for Forsberg, but literally trading Trouba for Forsberg now would lead to a huge roster imbalance
2013 with hindsight: Theodore, though it's still early
2014-16 too early

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why does everyone like him so much?! I would've taken him there too, but it seems everyone is in love with the guy all of a sudden!

Late riser. Excellent skater. Probably has a lot to do with people seeing what we missed by taking Stanley.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Those three are very clearly ahead of Morrissey at this point. That doesn't mean that they will stay there, but they are very clearly ahead - especially Wennberg and Burakovsky. Morrissey is in another group of less proven players with upside. Same as Mantha, Pulock, Shinkaruk and perhaps Theodore.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I was higher on Larkin, Pastrnak and Kapanen over Ehlers. I would've taken one of them.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Those three are very clearly ahead of Morrissey at this point. That doesn't mean that they will stay there, but they are very clearly ahead - especially Wennberg and Burakovsky. Morrissey is in another group of less proven players with upside. Same as Mantha, Pulock, Shinkaruk and perhaps Theodore.

I'm much less worried about a guy like Morrissey than any forward from his draft year that's yet to really prove they're NHL material. The Moose sucked really bad. Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Comrie, none of them could save that lineup from getting completely demolished nightly. Even if they leave him in the AHL for another year I still think he's got top 4 upside. I think he makes it as a full time NHL'r this year as an injury call up. I'm not all that certain he'll be ready to make the team out of training camp and Stu is going to get the benefit of the doubt until he leaves Maurice no other choice.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm much less worried about a guy like Morrissey than any forward from his draft year that's yet to really prove they're NHL material. The Moose sucked really bad. Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Comrie, none of them could save that lineup from getting completely demolished nightly. Even if they leave him in the AHL for another year I still think he's got top 4 upside. I think he makes it as a full time NHL'r this year as an injury call up. I'm not all that certain he'll be ready to make the team out of training camp and Stu is going to get the benefit of the doubt until he leaves Maurice no other choice.

I would have thought that had happened already. :laugh: What !@# $%^& does it take?

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Isn't the Jets but I remember leading up to the 2005 draft that everyone was saying Anze Kopitar would be the perfect center for Kovalchuk and Heatley. Thrashers trade #8 pick for #12, #49 and #207. Then traded down again to #16 and picked Alex Bourrett......
Kills me that we couldve had Kopitar.....
But its move like this that made the Thrashers fail so I guess had to happen to get the JEts back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad