Speculation: Which of your team’s D-men would you not be shocked to see dealt?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Fowler - He's skated 974 regular season games for the club, would be weird to see him playing for another team. Yet the emergence of Mintyukov and Zellweger, gives confidence that they are the future of the backend. Fowler just isn't an ideal fit if you are trying to compliment those two with the optimal partner. Could picture moving him to make room for a more pure defensive/stay at home type.

Lacombe - Young Dman with intriguing upside, no rush to see him moved. Just feel like if the Ducks are putting together a package to try and improve, he may be viewed as one of their most valuable expendables. The two young LHD mentioned above are surely above him in the pecking order, and the Ducks are obviously keen on RHD Tristan Luneau as well. Lacombe can play either side, but I don't think he's established enough defensively to partner with any of those other three young D. May just end up being most valuable to the Ducks as trade bait, there are teams out there who don't have such depth of quality young D.

Vaakanainen - May be dealt or even left unqualified. He's been fine but the Ducks need to improve and have less filler in the lineup. Vaak is an NHL capable defender but doesn't stand out in a way that would make me want to count on him as more than a depth guy. If it came down to him or Gustav Lindstrom for a final roster spot, I think the latter has shown a bit more overall upside and his right shot is an added point in his favor. Vaak wasn't consistently getting in the lineup towards the end of the year, which may speak to how his development was prioritized.

Lindstrom - See above, I don't see a reason to not keep him as a cheap depth guy but there's no guarantee he stays either

Helleson - acquired over two years ago from the Avs in the Manson deal. Maybe this isn't worth reading into since the Ducks had more blueline depth this season, but Helleson was given three NHL games at the conclusion of last year, and zero this season. One would assume that if they were happy with his development, they would have brought him up for at least another cup of coffee this season, seeing as they were dressing a couple waiver pickups in Lindstrom and Lagesson. Helleson is still waiver exempt and fills an organizational need for defensive RD, so I don't see him being dumped by any means. But he's clearly behind a few other much younger D on the team's current radar.

Reactions: lwvs84

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Fowler - He's skated 974 regular season games for the club, would be weird to see him playing for another team. Yet the emergence of Mintyukov and Zellweger, gives confidence that they are the future of the backend. Fowler just isn't an ideal fit if you are trying to compliment those two with the optimal partner. Could picture moving him to make room for a more pure defensive/stay at home type.

Lacombe - Young Dman with intriguing upside, no rush to see him moved. Just feel like if the Ducks are putting together a package to try and improve, he may be viewed as one of their most valuable expendables. The two young LHD mentioned above are surely above him in the pecking order, and the Ducks are obviously keen on RHD Tristan Luneau as well. Lacombe can play either side, but I don't think he's established enough defensively to partner with any of those other three young D. May just end up being most valuable to the Ducks as trade bait, there are teams out there who don't have such depth of quality young D.

Vaakanainen - May be dealt or even left unqualified. He's been fine but the Ducks need to improve and have less filler in the lineup. Vaak is an NHL capable defender but doesn't stand out in a way that would make me want to count on him as more than a depth guy. If it came down to him or Gustav Lindstrom for a final roster spot, I think the latter has shown a bit more overall upside and his right shot is an added point in his favor. Vaak wasn't consistently getting in the lineup towards the end of the year, which may speak to how his development was prioritized.

Lindstrom - See above, I don't see a reason to not keep him as a cheap depth guy but there's no guarantee he stays either

Helleson - acquired over two years ago from the Avs in the Manson deal. Maybe this isn't worth reading into since the Ducks had more blueline depth this season, but Helleson was given three NHL games at the conclusion of last year, and zero this season. One would assume that if they were happy with his development, they would have brought him up for at least another cup of coffee this season, seeing as they were dressing a couple waiver pickups in Lindstrom and Lagesson. Helleson is still waiver exempt and fills an organizational need for defensive RD, so I don't see him being dumped by any means. But he's clearly behind a few other much younger D on the team's current radar.

I agree that it's probably time to move on from Fowler. I do hope that PV is talking with him over the timing of it. It would probably be easiest to do so before next season, but I'd also say that Cam has earned another 26 games with the team (if that means anything to him). Doesn't he also have a fairly restrictive NTC in his contract? That will certainly limit options for doing so.

I also agree that Lacombe could/would be better as part of a package somewhere to bring back a higher quality player. Most any other team would be crazy to move on right now, but with the quality of the D pipeline...

Vaak is probably also expendable/would work if a trade package needed something lesser than Lacombe. I don't mind keeping him provided that he's not blocking some of the youngsters from moving up. He's reliable in a mostly 'does his job' invisible sort of way.

Time will tell I suppose.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Cody Ceci. Oilers tried unloading him in a deal to get Chris Tanev. I expect we find a way to send him packing in the off season. Team needs a top 4 RD upgrade.

Brett Kulak might be moved to open a spot for Broberg and some further cap space if we do a top 4 RD upgrade.
sanheim to the oilers may be something to expore. can take ceci back as part of the deal rather easily.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Would assume TvR and Nick Jensen will be made available this summer. Doesn’t mean they’ll trade them but I think I’d be more surprised if one didn’t move than if one did.

Don’t see them trading Carlson, Sandin, or Fehervary. Probably not Alexeyev either as he came on very strong the final 20 games of the season or so.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Provorov is gone for sure, Bean is likely not to get a QO, Boqvist probably gets one more year. Could maybe even see them moving Jiricek for an upgrade elsewhere. Werenski, Gudbranson, and Severson are the only ones safe, I'd think.

I could see the Blues being very interested in Jiricek if available and perhaps Provy to a lesser extent. Some Blues fans may not like to hear it, but I wonder about a Jiricek/Kyrou trade with some adds on either side to balance it out.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Seth Jones. What's the point in a basement team holding onto a 10M dollar dman when other teams could really use him?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lilly, I think you are going to see BIG changes in Toronto and Lilly is not a Treliving guy, I think he's traded

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I could see the Blues being very interested in Jiricek if available and perhaps Provy to a lesser extent. Some Blues fans may not like to hear it, but I wonder about a Jiricek/Kyrou trade with some adds on either side to balance it out.
Agreed with the other poster. Wing is actually a strength for Columbus, especially if Laine returns. I mentioned him more that I don’t agree with other CBJ fans who says he’s untouchable. I don’t think he is, but it would need to be a very compelling trade to move him, and Kyrou just isn’t that for a Columbus team already saturated by good wingers.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Is it really possible? I feel like he plays a pretty big role for Florida
I think so. He’s had multiple leg injuries, he’s slow as it is, has a modified trade clause this summer, and we need cap space.

Edit, whether it happens or not is another story. Lol

Last edited:

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Sigenthaler
I haven't watched New Jersey as much this season but I thought he was a cost controlled steady top 4 LHD who is solid defensively why would you want to trade him?

For the Canucks Hronek might be one but that purely depends on how much he asks for during the offseason.

Reactions: gameface

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Third person saying Ceci and Kulak. Good chance the Oilers put themselves in the market for a sizeable upgrade at the deadline next year. They might ride out the year down a couple vets to accumulate cap space.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think so. He’s had multiple leg injuries, he’s slow as it is, has a modified trade clause this summer, and we need cap space.

Edit, whether it happens or not is another story. Lol
I'd be interested as a Ducks fan. No idea what the cost would be

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Third person saying Ceci and Kulak. Good chance the Oilers put themselves in the market for a sizeable upgrade at the deadline next year. They might ride out the year down a couple vets to accumulate cap space.

I think Kulak for sure, just based on the succession plan in place with Broberg and the fact we need every penny this off-season.

Trading Ceci would require 1 of 2 things:

1) A similar caliber RHD making less coming back

OR

2) Additional assets added to try to acquire an upgrade on him, but we’d have to be able to make the money work.

Neither of those scenarios seem likely, so I think Ceci remains an Oiler.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
One of Theodore or Whitecloud (more likely) is a pretty safe bet.

What would shipping out either of these two really do for Vegas?

I get that they invested a ton in that Hanifin extension, but signing him to a huge deal just to end of moving the massively better player in Theodore at his paltry $5.2M for another year as a hugely productive top-pairing caliber defenceman seems like a supremely back asswards way of going about business.

Moving Whitecloud would maybe make a little more sense in alleviating some cap issues...but at $2.75M it's not like he's prohibitively expensive or going to offer massive cap relief. You're still gonna have to replace him at at least a reasonable player and they only have so many RH shooting defencemen.

If either of the two ended up on the market, i'd want to Canucks to be all over that.

There's just no way all of these lefties will remain in Montreal:

Guhle
Harris
Matheson
Struble
Xhekaj

Especially since we have more guys on the left side coming up.

On the right side, Kovacevic's time is probably up. I f***ing hate Barron but this org is often blinded by draft status, so he'll probably get more chances even though he has no balls.

Habs really do have a logjam in the weirdest sort of way. Just a glut of 2nd/3rd pairing guys of different types.

I'd think Guhle is pretty much untouchable. Matheson would shock me if he's moved, as i don't know that he's worth as much to other teams as he is in his role with a team like Montreal.

Harris is tough to move because he's one of those "decent swiss army knife" defencemen who is more valuable and useful to the team that has them. Nobody is going to give up anything particularly valuable for him, but he's great to have around as a guy who can plug in pretty much anywhere and not embarrass himself.

Struble showed a lot of promise which makes him weird to move, but he also doesn't necessarily have the most defined "role" moving forward. Also in that weird limbo where teams don't tend to pay a premium for guys like that.

Xhekaj is such a unique physical player, i think they probably want to keep that around, even if he's got some injury questions starting to mount with his play style. But another one of those guys isn't likely established enough as anything more than a bottom-pairing bruiser to command a haul in trade.

Just kind of messy. And the RHD aren't much better. Savard likely stays to continue playing martyr role getting caved in with brutal minutes so the kids don't have to.

I could definitely see Kovacevic being moved. Teams will pay for a big, cheap, steady RHD...even if it's a bottom-pairing sort of guy. Basically "found money" for the Habs, whatever they can get for him too.

Barron also feels like a guy that has maybe been passed by too many guys. He was given a ton of opportunity and never really completely ran with it. With Reinbacher and Mailloux likely knocking on the door at some point next year, it'd definitely be smart to try to get what you can for him while you still can. The Canadiens aren't the only team that values draft pedigree and "upside" a ton. Someone out there probably takes a flyer on a guy like Barron for something else that's more useful to the Habs. And then you're still stuck with guys like Guhle/Harris having to play their off side for the time being, but i guess you live with that.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
What would shipping out either of these two really do for Vegas?

I get that they invested a ton in that Hanifin extension, but signing him to a huge deal just to end of moving the massively better player in Theodore at his paltry $5.2M for another year as a hugely productive top-pairing caliber defenceman seems like a supremely back asswards way of going about business.

Moving Whitecloud would maybe make a little more sense in alleviating some cap issues...but at $2.75M it's not like he's prohibitively expensive or going to offer massive cap relief. You're still gonna have to replace him at at least a reasonable player and they only have so many RH shooting defencemen.

If either of the two ended up on the market, i'd want to Canucks to be all over that.
Theodore is absolutely not a better player than Hanifin. The second that Hanifin contract was signed the writing was kind of on the wall Theodore probably isn't going to be extended. He's a fantastic offensive player when he's confident. Too often he's not and even more often he makes soft plays. I'm not big on paying big bucks to guys that can't be relied on in all situations.

Korzcak is ready to be a full time NHL'er so one of Theo or Whitecloud HAS to go to make room. And like you said the cap savings for the latter would be minimal. The return and cap savings from a Theodore trade would give us room to sign Marchessault plus in an ideal world we'd get back a young top 6 wing for Theodore.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Theodore is absolutely not a better player than Hanifin. The second that Hanifin contract was signed the writing was kind of on the wall Theodore probably isn't going to be extended. He's a fantastic offensive player when he's confident. Too often he's not and even more often he makes soft plays. I'm not big on paying big bucks to guys that can't be relied on in all situations.

Korzcak is ready to be a full time NHL'er so one of Theo or Whitecloud HAS to go to make room. And like you said the cap savings for the latter would be minimal. The return and cap savings from a Theodore trade would give us room to sign Marchessault plus in an ideal world we'd get back a young top 6 wing for Theodore.

That's really interesting. Seems insane to me to move Theodore. But i learned a while ago to never underestimate Vegas making huge and surprising moves. They're also clearly not tethered to or encumbered by any sort of loyalty or sentimentality. :laugh:

I doubt Vancouver has the right pieces to even get the ball rolling in conversation, but i'd kill to bring a player like Theodore back home if he genuinely hit the trade block. And that $5.2M might even make it feasible cap-wise for the year, before they have to figure it out and hope the cap jumps substantially.

Heck...trade Hronek for something Vegas covets, flip that return+ for Theodore (and re-allocate that Hronek extension $$$ to Theodore). Sign someone like Tanev to play with Hughes. Re-sign Zadorov.

Hughes-Tanev
Zaddy-Theodore

I'm into it.

Reactions: gameface

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Matheson, Savard, Harris, Struble, Kovacevic, Barron... Basically anyone except Guhle.

Guys like Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux are still prospects and are not available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad