Which of these Leafs trades would you go back in time and stop from happening?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If there is a silver lining to the Kessel trade is that Toronto never actually traded Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton. Yes it's true that the 1st round picks they traded turned out be them, however in my opinion only the Boston Bruins can say they actually traded Seguin and Hamilton.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
If there is a silver lining to the Kessel trade is that Toronto never actually traded Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton. Yes it's true that the 1st round picks they traded turned out be them, however in my opinion only the Boston Bruins can say they actually traded Seguin and Hamilton.

This logic works with picks that require some analysis like #9 = Hamilton, but for Seguin he was the definitive 1A/1B in the draft.

If Toronto was picking #2, it would have been Hall or Seguin depending on who Edmonton drafts.

Same thing with the Kurvers pick, if Toronto was to pick #1 ... it would be a no brainer that they pick Lindros....
At #3 though, I don't trust this management to pick Niedermeyer...maybe they would have picked Alex Stojanov... LOL

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto

The Bruins really squandered that trade. Giving away Seguin to Dallas is one of the worst trades perhaps ever, but we'll have to wait and see how Seguin's career plays out to see just how bad it is.

cwulf

Dec 7, 2015
I would have loved to take back putting Steve Sullivan on waivers. Sullivan would have been great for those contending teams.

I leave everything in recent memory as is, because if things don't happen the way they did, we don't get this management team. And I'd take Shannahan, Lou, Babcock, and co. over Seguin or Rask with Burke and co. any day.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The niedemyer trade. We were supposed to finish last and have the lindros pick. But made sure along with the nordiques that we didn't and finished 3rd. Lindros or Niedermayer. Imagine not trading for Kurvers..... sad times

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
Knowing what we know today if you could go back in time and stop the Leafs management from making a trade which one of these would you want to prevent from happening?

1) Toronto acquires Owen Nolan from San Jose on March 5, 2003 for Brad Boyes, Alyn McCauley and a 2003 1st round pick.

2) Toronto acquires Lee Stempniak from St. Louis on November 24, 2008 for Alex Steen and Carlo Colaiacovo.

3) Toronto acquires Phil Kessel from Boston on September 18, 2009 for a 2010 1st round pick, 2010 2nd round pick and a 2011 1st round pick.

I guess you can say there is a case that if all three of trades could be undone we would say yes based on the players they gave up or the draft picks they turned into. However if I had to pick just one I would not do the trade for Owen Nolan. I know they were a legit Stanley Cup contender at that time and I was all for the trade when it happened. However looking back at who the Leafs could have selected in the 1st round of the 2003 draft makes me think what if they kept that pick? Although that's assuming they get Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Zach Parise or Ryan Kesler.

I was totally against the Phil Kessel trade when it happened, don't need to know what we know now I was against it then

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The Bruins really squandered that trade. Giving away Seguin to Dallas is one of the worst trades perhaps ever, but we'll have to wait and see how Seguin's career plays out to see just how bad it is.

Even if Seguin ends his career today due to injuries or whatever, there is no way Boston can even claim they won in that trade. Unless somehow, Boston trade Ericksson for a unprotected 1st rounder and that 1st rounder become Matthews.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The niedemyer trade. We were supposed to finish last and have the lindros pick. But made sure along with the nordiques that we didn't and finished 3rd. Lindros or Niedermayer. Imagine not trading for Kurvers..... sad times

I think even if the Leafs ended with the 3rd overall and how Lindros pulling Lindros. The Leafs and Nords would make the Lindros trade.
Having Clark be Lindros wingman will probably mean a few less concussion for the Big E.
Having said that getting Lindros probably means Gilmour staying in Calgary or going to another team and definitely no Sundin.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I would probably say the Kurvers deal.

The idea of having Niedermayer with the Leafs on some of those late 90's early 2000's teams would probably have made the Finals.

Sundin, Mogilny, Roberts, Nolan, Tucker on offense.
Niedermayer, McCabe, and Kaberle on defense.
And CuJo in net.

Not to mention that in a butterfly effect type of situation if the Leafs get Nidermayer, a lot of these other trades probably dont happen.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Even if Seguin ends his career today due to injuries or whatever, there is no way Boston can even claim they won in that trade. Unless somehow, Boston trade Ericksson for a unprotected 1st rounder and that 1st rounder become Matthews.

Wrong. The Bruins won that trade hands down. they won the cup with Seguin and he was a contributor. That is the only goal and only true way to win a trade, what trade helps you win the cup.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Wrong. The Bruins won that trade hands down. they won the cup with Seguin and he was a contributor. That is the only goal and only true way to win a trade, what trade helps you win the cup.

Can you read the whole post instead of just what you want to read?
I was replying someone post about the trade between Boston and Dallas. Hence, that's why I mentioned Ericksson. I never mention Phil once in that post.

Unless Phil just flat out sucks from now on, while Kapanen and that Pitts 1st rounder turns out to be part of the core for Leafs to win Cups after Cups. Then in some strange ways Leafs won the Phil trade with Boston, but that's a huge stretch.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Can you read the whole post instead of just what you want to read?
I was replying someone post about the trade between Boston and Dallas. Hence, that's why I mentioned Ericksson. I never mention Phil once in that post.

Unless Phil just flat out sucks from now on, while Kapanen and that Pitts 1st rounder turns out to be part of the core for Leafs to win Cups after Cups. Then in some strange ways Leafs won the Phil trade with Boston, but that's a huge stretch.

I quoted your entire post with no omissions. You seem to be back tracking on your very own comments. Seems your criteria is getting the best player is what deems a winner. I could care less who has the better player, last I checked it was about winning and winning the Stanley Cup. Not who has the shiniest toys.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I quoted your entire post with no omissions. You seem to be back tracking on your very own comments. Seems your criteria is getting the best player is what deems a winner. I could care less who has the better player, last I checked it was about winning and winning the Stanley Cup. Not who has the shiniest toys.

What do mean backtracking on my own comment?
My comment was a direct reply to another poster about the trade between Boston and Dallas involving Seguin. What you kept saying is Seguin helped Boston win a Cup. There are two completely separate thing.
Boston have not win a Cup or come close after they traded away Seguin. Thus, the best way to see who is the winner of the trade between Dallas and Boston for now is how well the players involved in that trade are performing. Which in this case, Seguin.
Now if somehow, you can show me that Boston won a Cup or two after they traded Seguin to Dallas, pls do. Bc I am sure everyone on this board is dying to see that.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The Bernier trade.

I second this. I was focusing more on players coming out instead of in.

Yeah this is a good one. It was just so unnecessary at the time. Hell that whole 2013 off-season was just dumb.

"We're coming off a season that ended because we couldn't defend well enough when it counted. What should we focus on this offseason?"

"Add grit and testosterone. Also acquire another unproven goalie because the one that stood on his head during the regular season and playoffs isn't good enough."

Scratch

Jan 3, 2016
Stempniak trade, that was horrendous. It was bad on the surface, bad in reality and bad for the future. Anyone with a pedestrian understanding of hockey could see that was bad on paper.
The Kessel trade is always looked at in retrospect with hindsight being 20/20. The Leafs looked better than they were at the time of the trade, the belief was they could make the play-offs that year, so looking at two draft picks at 16 over-all is completely different than two 2nd's. Burke's mistake was not the trade, it was the haphazard rebuild that was called "truculence" while NOT realizing the direction of the game had changed to speed, skill while size became less relevant.
If you look at the players available at 16 (I'm using the best possible selection for a play-off team here) the deal was well worth it. So who was taken 16th in 2010?
Vladimir Tarasenko
In 2011?
Joel Armia.

Burke failed to evaluate the team properly and acquire the help that was required after the Kessel trade.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Kessel trade was incredibly unlucky in the sense that if the pics are say 18 and 11 or something (no idea who was picked in those spots just an example) then the trade looks pretty decent; but not lottery protecting the pics was a massive brain fart tho...Rask and Stepniak trades were equally dumb. I'd forgotten about the Kurver/Niedermeyer angle...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad