Which group of Finnish players would you take?

Which group of Finnish players would you take?

• Total voters

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Group 1
Forwards
Jere Lehtinen
Mikko Koivu
Jari Kurri

Defenseman
Sami Salo
Kimmo Timonen

Goalie
Pekka Rinne

Group 2
Forwards
Jussi Jokinen
Saku Koivu
Teemu Selanne

Defenseman
Teppo Numminen
Toni Lydman

Goalie
Miikka Kiprusoff

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I take the group with the greatest Finnish player of all time in it, Kurri.

People don't think it's Selanne?

Era adjusted points gives him a significant advantage and while Selanne played with great players, he didn't have the luxury to play with the most prolific player in history

Selanne played more and produced more with lesser players on lesser teams

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

Era adjusted points gives him a significant advantage and while Selanne played with great players, he didn't have the luxury to play with the most prolific player in history

i'm probably biased as i was a child of the 80's and Kurri was it for Finnish players to me. I'm sure theres some stats out there that show how Selanne was better, but it will always be Kurri to me.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
This is tough. Nice work OP! I think that I take group 2. I have Selanne > Kurri. And Numinnen as the Best Defenseman. Lose a bit on goaltending as Rinne > Kiprusoff, but that’s very close.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I chose group 2 but would depend on if we're talking prime of when players played. If talking like right now you should take group 2 since Selanne retired after Kurri. Though Saku Koivu retired before his brother. It's really a toss up though. Guess it came down to Selanne and Kiprusoff for me.

Last edited:

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016

Their point finishes are pretty damn similar. Goal scoring edge goes to Selanne, in part due to his prime being longer.

But Kurri was in contention for the Selke trophy while being one of the best point producers in the league, and a top 3 goal scorer.

Selanne aged much better. But peak and prime its very close, I'd give it to Kurri due to the significant defensive edge.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah I almost voted Group 1 because of Lehtinen

Their point finishes are pretty damn similar. Goal scoring edge goes to Selanne, in part due to his prime being longer.

But Kurri was in contention for the Selke trophy while being one of the best point producers in the league, and a top 3 goal scorer.

Selanne aged much better. But peak and prime its very close, I'd give it to Kurri due to the significant defensive edge.

All you say is true but when considering the eras they played in, I think it clearly becomes Selanne

1565 in 1451 games vs 1185 pts in 1251 games

Almost 400 more points in 200 more games

Also, while Kurri had Selke recognition, Selanne won the Calder, the Richard, the Masterton and a lot of Hart recognition

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Group 1 has better forwards. Defense is pretty even but Kiprusoff is imo easily better than Rinne

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The defence for Group1 tips the scales for me i think. But Kipper in the other team makes it hard. As does Selanne obviously.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
nice poll

Went for 2nd for pure bias reasons (I'm a Habs fan but I was also a huge Ducks fan during the Kariya/Selanne era)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Group 2.

Don't really get people saying it's close. Group 2 has the better forwards, defensemen, and goalie.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Yeah I almost voted Group 1 because of Lehtinen

All you say is true but when considering the eras they played in, I think it clearly becomes Selanne

1565 in 1451 games vs 1185 pts in 1251 games

Almost 400 more points in 200 more games

Also, while Kurri had Selke recognition, Selanne won the Calder, the Richard, the Masterton and a lot of Hart recognition
The career stats favour Selanne, I never denied that. Mostly because he aged far better.

But when you compare their point and PPG finishes side by side, you see that their peak and prime are close.

Kurri's lack of award recognition (excluding selke) is largely due to the presence of Gretzky and to a much lesser extent, Messier, Fuhr and Coffey. Of course, he also got to play with Gretzky, and whether fair or not, his offensive totals will always be questioned because of it. So I suppose it's a wash.

I'll say this. If I had to pick who to build around knowing their career trajectories, I'd take Selanne. If I could choose who to get for a few years during their peak/prime, I pick Kurri. They are close enough offensively, but leagues apart defensively.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Do people not remember that Lehtinen won 3 selkes?

Selanne and Kurri are close. I'd give it to Selanne, but it's close.
Koivu vs Koivu is close. I'd give it to Saku, but it's close
Lehtinen vs Jokkinen is not close in any way shape or form

On D
Timonen was a 5 time all-star

Goalies are pretty even

Reactions: heksagon

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The career stats favour Selanne, I never denied that. Mostly because he aged far better.

But when you compare their point and PPG finishes side by side, you see that their peak and prime are close.

Kurri's lack of award recognition (excluding selke) is largely due to the presence of Gretzky and to a much lesser extent, Messier, Fuhr and Coffey. Of course, he also got to play with Gretzky, and whether fair or not, his offensive totals will always be questioned because of it. So I suppose it's a wash.

I'll say this. If I had to pick who to build around knowing their career trajectories, I'd take Selanne. If I could choose who to get for a few years during their peak/prime, I pick Kurri. They are close enough offensively, but leagues apart defensively.

It's not because "he aged better", it's because he went through the whole "Dead Puck Era". After his 4th season, only once the scoring in the NHL was over 3 goals per game, until he retired. Kurri was 34 y/o the first time he played in a season where scoring was under 3 goals per game...

Yes Kurri was always going to be behind guys like Gretzky and Messier but his stats got boosted because he had the chance to play on a dynasty and the most prolific era in history. Selanne had to compete with a lot of all-time greats during his career (Lemieux, Jagr, Forsberg, Kariya, Sakic, Lindros, Gretzky, Yzerman, Francis, Sundin, Palffy*, Fedorov, Modano, etc, etc). He played with great players too but was never really on stacked teams until his late 30's (mainly Zhamnov and Tkachuk in Winnipeg; Kariya in Anaheim; Nolan and Damphousse in San Jose; Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, etc in Anaheim the second time)

Finally, Selanne didn't have to play defense much because he was a monster in possession. Kurri probably was too since he played with the Oilers but Selanne even had Selke votes in his late 30's. I don't think he was known as a 1-way offensive threat. Kurri was -69 once he left Edmonton (not saying +/- means everything but there's no advanced stats for that era)

The more I dig into this, the more I realize that it's not even close... I mean, it's ok if you have this particular opinion but a poll between these 2 players wouldn't be close. I understand if you say "their peak and prime are close" but if Selanne could post 100+ pts season during the dead puck era, imagine what he could have done during Kurri's prime if he was playing on Gretzky's wing

* Palffy is one of the most underrated players of all time, he was over PPG during the dead puck era

Edit : look at that insane resume. I didn't even know but looks like he is the Olympics leading scorer of all-time

Last edited:
Reactions: Dog

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
It's not because "he aged better", it's because he went through the whole "Dead Puck Era". After his 4th season, only once the scoring in the NHL was over 3 goals per game, until he retired. Kurri was 34 y/o the first time he played in a season where scoring was under 3 goals per game...

Yes Kurri was always going to be behind guys like Gretzky and Messier but his stats got boosted because he had the chance to play on a dynasty and the most prolific era in history. Selanne had to compete with a lot of all-time greats during his career (Lemieux, Jagr, Forsberg, Kariya, Sakic, Lindros, Gretzky, Yzerman, Francis, Sundin, Palffy*, Fedorov, Modano, etc, etc). He played with great players too but was never really on stacked teams until his late 30's (mainly Zhamnov and Tkachuk in Winnipeg; Kariya in Anaheim; Nolan and Damphousse in San Jose; Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, etc in Anaheim the second time)

Finally, Selanne didn't have to play defense much because he was a monster in possession. Kurri probably was too since he played with the Oilers but Selanne even had Selke votes in his late 30's. I don't think he was known as a 1-way offensive threat. Kurri was -69 once he left Edmonton (not saying +/- means everything but there's no advanced stats for that era)

The more I dig into this, the more I realize that it's not even close... I mean, it's ok if you have this particular opinion but a poll between these 2 players wouldn't be close. I understand if you say "their peak and prime are close" but if Selanne could post 100+ pts season during the dead puck era, imagine what he could have done during Kurri's prime if he was playing on Gretzky's wing

* Palffy is one of the most underrated players of all time, he was over PPG during the dead puck era

Edit : look at that insane resume. I didn't even know but looks like he is the Olympics leading scorer of all-time

I mean, Using the adjusted stats you did in the previous post

Selanne's highest point total is 122 points, his highest goal total is 62. For Kurri its 108 points and 57 goals.

For reference, that's a smaller point gap than McDavid and Matthews had this season, and a significantly smaller goalscoring gap.

And selanne's superior career adjusted stats have a lot to do with him aging better. Kurri has no adjusted seasons above 80 points after the age of 28. Selanne has 4.

Admittedly, going by adjusted stats Selanne's offensive edge is larger than I thought. 4 seasons above 100 points as opposed to Kurri's 2.

But again, doesn't really change my overall view. At their best I still take Kurri.

I have no doubt Selanne would win over Kurri in a poll. The Gretzky factor will always come into play.

And yes, Palffy is a hidden gem of a player, glad we can agree on something.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006

Kurri never played behind Messier. Messier was great but he really made his legacy after the Oilers which people then retroactively have applied to young Messier as well. Kurri was top-10 in Selke and in scoring in a same year six times (iirc). The runner up had made it three times when last I checked, which was some years ago. Those days Selke hadn't turned to Hart light either. It was an actual defensive forward trophy.

Kurri is by far, the most underrated hockey player of all time in my opinion. Mostly due to Gretzky and it is understandable as such. But in many ways he was picture perfect for Gretzky too, and much more so for Coffey who would have been a different entity without Kurri. I wrote a long long piece about years ago here so I am not going to bother again.

Times were different back then and Kurri was a euro. It really meant something. It mostly shows these days when people compare him to Messier.

After Oilers Kurri went to Italy, had his swan song with the Kings before he lost his wheels to knee troubles and finally his slap shot for shoulder injuries. Comparing his numbers during the dead puck era to his peak just does not work because he was not the same player anymore.

It really is not close between peak Kurri and Selanne because they were both elite on O while Selanne was meh on D and Kurri was an absolute stud on D. Careerwise it is hard to argue against Selanne due to the last seasons of Kurri's career being an outright cash grab.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Went with Group B. I think group B's defense is severely underrated. Teppo was one of the more underappreciated dmen I've seen, probably because he spent most of his prime in Arizona but I don't think there was a huge gap between him and Timonen and in fact I personally think Teppo was better. I like Lydman over Salo also, he was a great shot blocker and wasn't afraid to throw the body but didn't go out of his way to do so.

On D
Timonen was a 5 time all-star

Numminen was also an all-star several times. However take a look at their Norris finishes.

Timonen - 5, 15, 17, 20
Numminen - 7, 9, 11, 11

I don't think it's a slam dunk for Timonen here, and certainly not because he was an all-star more times.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad