Which Forward Has the Most Impact in 2017-18?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Hurricanes are going to be running something like this (protect Stempniak, expose PDG/Nordstrom):

Skinner-Rask-Stempniak
Lindholm-Staal-Aho
xxx- xxx- Turbo
Nordstrom/PDG-xxx-McGinn

Assuming FA's, that's 1-2 spots open in camp for a forward prospect to grab.

So who makes the team and ends up having the most impact next year (not necessarily who gets on the Opening Night Roster)?

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Wallmark/Zykov

Those are the only ones I can see making the team, the rest will benefit most in the AHL/Juniors.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If my 5 minute google research is correct, all of those players will be playing in a professional hockey league in 2017-18. But most will be at the AHL level, just wanted to clarify.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It's Wallmark, unless they sign a good veteran 4C. Otherwise he makes the opening night roster in that spot and I think he earns more minutes from there. The rest are long-shots to make the team IMO.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's Wallmark, unless they sign a good veteran 4C. Otherwise he makes the opening night roster in that spot and I think he earns more minutes from there. The rest are long-shots to make the team IMO.

That's my view as well

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wallmark is the safest bet to make the team so, by default, him.

I think Saarela, Zykov, Goat, or Roy has the potential to have a bigger season, but none of them are near as likely to make the team.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Guessing Wallmark plays the most games. Saarela gets called up mid season due to injuries and scores the most points out of the group

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Ryan Kennedy votes for McLovin:

We don't need no steenkeeng' Stalberg...!

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I think it has to be Saarela, he's the one guy capable of jumping into the top 6 right now and keeping up - and more importantly replacing the 40-something points that we're likely to lose with Stempniak. I can see Wallmark and Zykov both making the team and being valuable contributors, but Saarela's talent is on par with Skinner and Aho and I think he can make a quick impact just like those two.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I think it has to be Saarela, he's the one guy capable of jumping into the top 6 right now and keeping up - and more importantly replacing the 40-something points that we're likely to lose with Stempniak. I can see Wallmark and Zykov both making the team and being valuable contributors, but Saarela's talent is on par with Skinner and Aho and I think he can make a quick impact just like those two.

That's a bold statement...

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC

He was without a point in the five playoff games and also hasn't he had two injuries now maybe they are minor but still not a good sign. I think he may be more of a early/mid season call up. Idk if he makes team from camp.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

That's a bold statement...

Have you seen the guy's highlight reel? I don't think it's a bold statement at all.

Yes, but is he just one hit away? :sarcasm:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
He was without a point in the five playoff games and also hasn't he had two injuries now maybe they are minor but still not a good sign. I think he may be more of a early/mid season call up. Idk if he makes team from camp.

Truth be told, I don't know if he makes it either. It's probably one of those cases where he either makes the team and scores 20 goals, or doesn't make the team at all.

All I'm saying is, if we're rooting for one guy, he's probably the one we should be rooting for, because he's the one player out of the whole bunch with potential to really make an impact on the offense right away.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Wallmark/Zykov

Those are the only ones I can see making the team, the rest will benefit most in the AHL/Juniors.

That's my view as well

Wallmark is the safest bet to make the team so, by default, him.

I think Saarela, Zykov, Goat, or Roy has the potential to have a bigger season, but none of them are near as likely to make the team.

In the end, my feeling is that Wallmark centers the 4th line and Zykov fights it out with Saarela, PDG, and McGinn for the open 3rd line wing slot. I think we'll have to bring somebody in for the 3C role. Whomever takes that 3W position will need to put up something like 35 points. Right now I'd cautiously bet that person is Valentin Zykov. If Wallmark can put up 7 or 8 goals and 12-15 points from the 4C, that contribution would be huge. It's a long shot, but huge nonetheless.

My sense is that GMRF does his best to a a Top 6 scorer, brings in a 3C and let's the kiddos fight it out for the rest (1 or 2 wing slots). I also don't think Stempniak gets protected, not for any particular reason, just a feeling.

My guess is we'll see Fleury on the 3rd pairing with some veteran 3RHD.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Have you seen the guy's highlight reel? I don't think it's a bold statement at all.

Yeah and I've seen Sergi Tolchinsky's too, they both have amazing looking highlight reels.

Holding Saarela's skill level up to Aho & Skinner's is a bit to bold, he still has a ton to prove to be that highly regarded. Aho's two way game is crazy freaking good & just does everything right on all ends of the ice. Skinner can create space for him self and has a fantastic shot, and that's what makes him the great goal scorer he is. From what I've heard Saarela's two way game isn't all that great, so he's definitely no Aho in that regard. His shot is dang good, and is very comparable to Skinner's. But I don't think he has the skills to create time and space like Skinny can. It will be interesting to see if he can develop that, but at the moment I don't see it. I still think he's a fantastic prospect, but he's not on the level of Skinner or Aho in my opinion. Could see him becoming a valuable 2nd line winger that can score some goals down the road though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00