Which D-man do you want to slot into our third pairing?

Who should our #6 Dman be going into the playoffs?

• Total voters

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Rinat Valiev. They will never see it coming.

Rinat:

giphy.gif

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Gotta go Mr. Fanta, unless the speed of Colorado is going to be an issue for him...In that case, I'd go Kylington

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Either Fanta or Valimaki. No way kylington should be on the ice in the playoffs considering the fire drill that often occurs in his zone, even if he has speed and some more offensive upside.

I have a feeling it will be Fantenberg-Andersson, though valimaki really impressed in his first game back. Looks to have improved a lot from his start here.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think it should be Stone or Valimaki. Fantenberg does literally nothing for me

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, not a big fan of Fantenberg. Does very little while on the ice which is weird, given how that exact trait is what led to the ouster of Kulak and Wotherspoon. He has the experience for sure but I'd rather have Kylington or Valimaki there; the experience they'd get would be far more beneficial for the future.

That being said, the bottom pairing is very clearly going to be Fantenberg-Andersson to start things off. Kylington and Valimaki for depth on the left side and Prout and Stone as depth on the right side.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The pairings for the last two games, more or less tells the story of where we’re at. It’s Fanta’s spot to lose and I don’t think anyone has shown enough to steal it away. Kylington is definitely showing some rust, probably sitting 5th on the LD depth chart. His offensive abilities just aren’t good enough to make up for his lack of physicality and defensive blunders, at this point at least. Valimaki is more well rounded but his lack of experience will probably keep him off the roster, unless there’s an injury.

Reactions: Nanuuk

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
We have the 2nd best offence in the NHL, and 178 points from our top 5 defencemen.

I really don’t think you need anything from your #6 other than not killing you in the defensive zone and getting the puck up into the forwards hands, which a pairing of Andersson and Fantenberg more than accomplish.

Like, a difference of a couple points from Kylington to Fantenberg (if that) isn’t big enough to throw in Kylington or Valimaki over Fantenberg for me. At least to start. If we’re struggling to score then the adjustments can be made. But I think the wise move is to assume we will score enough goals to win (as we have all year) and adjust if that assumption doesn’t manifest itself.

If we get up 2-0 or 3-0 in a series, throw in a young guy to get some experience, but I’d start with Fantenberg.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Didn’t vali look solid?
I think so. He looked much improved in his 2nd game back than his 1st. Solid pinches, closed gaps well and made good plays. Moves the puck well as usual and his skating looks good. He still is a bit rusty, but overall I think he was much better than Kylington.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Want Valimaki, but it will be Fantenberg.

Oscar will be fine though, he’s pretty good

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Fanta will be in the first night but through the playoffs we will likely see Valimaki, Prout, and Stone either through injury or for matching up against other teams.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We have the 2nd best offence in the NHL, and 178 points from our top 5 defencemen.

I really don’t think you need anything from your #6 other than not killing you in the defensive zone and getting the puck up into the forwards hands, which a pairing of Andersson and Fantenberg more than accomplish.

Like, a difference of a couple points from Kylington to Fantenberg (if that) isn’t big enough to throw in Kylington or Valimaki over Fantenberg for me. At least to start. If we’re struggling to score then the adjustments can be made. But I think the wise move is to assume we will score enough goals to win (as we have all year) and adjust if that assumption doesn’t manifest itself.

If we get up 2-0 or 3-0 in a series, throw in a young guy to get some experience, but I’d start with Fantenberg.

This.
Let's be honest. We score enough goals, and have enough D-line depth that outside of 14 minutes a night the 6D will be more than covered. From those 14 minutes, you're not looking for high risk/high reward. You're looking for someone who can professionally take over those minutes and deal with them accordingly.

IT's worth noting that the Andersson/Fanta pair is almost 70% in GF% since being a pairing. For those bitching about being bland, or 'doing nothing for them'... I mean, are we just looking for an adventure in our own end?

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
This.
Let's be honest. We score enough goals, and have enough D-line depth that outside of 14 minutes a night the 6D will be more than covered. From those 14 minutes, you're not looking for high risk/high reward. You're looking for someone who can professionally take over those minutes and deal with them accordingly.

IT's worth noting that the Andersson/Fanta pair is almost 70% in GF% since being a pairing. For those *****ing about being bland, or 'doing nothing for them'... I mean, are we just looking for an adventure in our own end?

You may not like it but THIS is what the ideal shut down d-core looks like

Gardiner-Burns
Krug-Barrie
Fowler-Subban

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You may not like it but THIS is what the ideal shut down d-core looks like

Gardiner-Burns
Krug-Barrie
Fowler-Subban

Apparently.
This board still has major hard-ons for offensive D, irregardless of capabilities. It's even crazier as Flames fans, because we have essentially one of the best defensive D, who is also one of the best offensive D in the league too.

Here's the crazy thing about that list. A number of those guys have obscene point totals. Among them, 4/6 of them hover around 50% GF and below... think about that. PK Subban is a near ppg dman in the NHL; but on 5 on 5, the guy's a coin flip player whether he'll score or get scored on.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
This.

IT's worth noting that the Andersson/Fanta pair is almost 70% in GF% since being a pairing. For those *****ing about being bland, or 'doing nothing for them'... I mean, are we just looking for an adventure in our own end?
Agree. A good #6 is one you don’t notice during a game

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Who would have figured that a depth d-man with 73 NHL games experience picked up at the TDL would win the 6th spot on the D core? I certainly didn't. I thought for sure the 6th spot would be filled either by Valimaki or Kylington and would have been quite happy to see either player in that spot.
This has been another trade by Treliving thats been a total surprise for me. First Doc (not really a trade but you know what I mean) and now Fantenberg.

Edit: I just want to clarify that I'm quite happy with Fantenberg in the 6th spot. He's played well for Calgary. I just never expected it to happen when the trade was made at the TDL. I expected him to see ice time in the playoffs only if injuries occured.

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Who would have figured that a depth d-man with 73 NHL games experience picked up at the TDL would win the 6th spot on the D core? I certainly didn't. I thought for sure the 6th spot would be filled either by Valimaki or Kylington and would have been quite happy to see either player in that spot.
This has been another trade by Treliving thats been a total surprise for me. First Doc (not really a trade but you know what I mean) and now Fantenberg.
I don’t think it’s surprising at all. Kylington, despite all the hype from this board, has been more or less as advertised. Valimaki is well rounded, for his age, but I don’t think anyone wants to see a rookie pairing in the playoffs, especially with a very young Hanifin, already on the second pairing. It really isn’t surprising at all.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad