Marlies Discussion: Which current Marlies make the Leafs opening roster?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
With the cap restrictions we face, it will be imperative that our development system continues to pump out NHL talent to supplement our depth. With that being said, who makes the team out of camp next season?

Gone:

Gardiner
Ennis
Sparks?
Brown?
Ozhiganov
Marincin
Marleau?
Etc.

What do you think it will look like?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Holding the Marlies and new guys:
(Keep in mind Hyman isn’t here for start of season but he’ll replace someone when he’s back)

Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Matthews-Nylander
Korshkov-Kadri-Bracco
Marleau(Engvall?)-Gauthier-Mikeyhev

Rielly-?
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Liljegren

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
100%: Moore and Rosen.

After that, it depends entirely on spots opened from trades in the summer or based on performance.

75%: Liljegren, Korshkov, Mikheyev

50%: Sandin, Marchment, Bracco, Borgman, Carcone

25%: Timashov, Brooks, Engvall, Lindgren

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Definitely Moore, Rosen and likely Korshkov make the team and lineup. Think Borgman makes the team, but not as sure about the lineup.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
*1 Korshkov-Tavares-Marner
*2 Mikheyev-Matthews-Nylander
*3 Moore-Kadri-Kapanen
*4 Marleau-Brooks-Bracco

Rielly-Johnsson's Return
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Liljegren

Italics cheap contracts.

*1 Hyman injury replacement ... as long as he can skate well enough. Tavares isn't a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination.
*2 If he signs with the Leafs he'll be on a scoring line. He brings size, skates well, and scores.
*3 Could see him relegated to the 4th. line depending on Marleau, or replacing Korshkov if staking is an issue.
*4 I think Leafs are stuck with Marleau, perhaps he could be the 4th. line center ... and then would waive to be traded and retire. Odds are Babcock will use him with Kadri.

None of the new guys except Liljegren are young kids, it isn't like they're just out of junior hockey. It isn't a stretch to suggest 22-23 year olds with enough skill can be complementary players on a line.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
*3 Moore-Kadri-Kapanen
*4 Marleau-Brooks-Bracco

Rielly-Johnsson's Return
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Liljegren

Italics cheap contracts.

*1 Hyman injury replacement ... as long as he can skate well enough. Tavares isn't a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination.
*2 If he signs with the Leafs he'll be on a scoring line. He brings size, skates well, and scores.
*3 Could see him relegated to the 4th. line depending on Marleau, or replacing Korshkov if staking is an issue.
*4 I think Leafs are stuck with Marleau, perhaps he could be the 4th. line center ... and then would waive to be traded and retire. Odds are Babcock will use him with Kadri.

None of the new guys except Liljegren are young kids, it isn't like they're just out of junior hockey. It isn't a stretch to suggest 22-23 year olds with enough skill can be complementary players on a line.
Agree but I see Kappy being traded, not Johnsson due to depth on RW vs LW

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
*3 Moore-Kadri-Kapanen
*4 Marleau-Brooks-Bracco

Rielly-Johnsson's Return
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Liljegren

Italics cheap contracts.

That LW depth is scary thin...

2 of 4 have never played an NHL game. One is a rookie and one is 40+...

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I see Rosen, Moore and possibly Bracco in the NHL (depending on roster slots) to start next season.

Engvall with his size and skating package has an outside shot on the fourth line.

Sandin could slide into the third pairing LHD spot if Dermott sticks to the right side.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Would be awesome seeing Bracco start off on the 4th line and have him run the 2nd PP unit.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Yep, Hyman injured, Johnson traded, Marleau a zombie, Ennis free agent.

Their LW wasn't great this year either.
Given the depth, I think the Leafs are in a better position to trade Nylander or Kapanen or at least move one of them to LW if they're going to trade Johnsson.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Which Current Marlies, will make the Leafs opening roster?

People list Mikheyev.

Current!!!!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Moore, Rosen likely opening night, may Bracco too depending on what trades happen.

Liljgren and Sandin may see some playing time too

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
With the cap restrictions we face, it will be imperative that our development system continues to pump out NHL talent to supplement our depth. With that being said, who makes the team out of camp next season?

Gone:

Gardiner
Ennis
Sparks?
Brown?
Ozhiganov
Marincin
Marleau?
Etc.

What do you think it will look like?

I think Marlies wise in order of skill;

Bracco
Tymashov
Marchment

Now Korshkov I've not seen a ton of but hes huge, does he hit? etc.
Then the Russian we are supposed to sign.

Depends on if we lose Kap, Johnsson or both. If we trade Marleau, Brown. All but guaranteed Ennis is gone. So potential realistically is 2 wing spots, maybe 3. If so and Korschov and the other Russian we haven't gotten yet are locks then it leaves possibly 1 spot for Bracco.

On D in order.

Lily, Sandin = tie
Rosen and Borg= time.. 2 different styles but I think we could've used Borgmans grit in the playoffs.

All the above depend hugely on Marner contract. The biggest reason he needs a new deal asap is because to figure out other moves you have to know what cap we have, and not guess or we are liable to shoot ourselves in the foot

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Moore, Rosen likely opening night, may Bracco too depending on what trades happen.

Liljgren and Sandin may see some playing time too

To me Moore doesn't count he showed he belonged in the playoffs. I want Bracco up, but feel from other people's comments Korshkov is a lock and if we sign the other Russian winger he as well. I do agree it depends on trades, also depends huge on Marner deal

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Korshkov, Moore and Rosen will be on the Leafs next season.

The year after that Sandin and Bracco most likely. Maybe Liljgren too.

Longshots in the next several years would be Brooks, Marchment and Engvall. Would love to size of marchment and Engvall though on our 4th line.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’m guessing they need to take a serious look at Rosen and Borgman once and for all. Moore is already a Leaf, so he’ll be there. Think Korshkov could be a good athletic upgrade on Brown. Depending on how things go with Johnsson, maybe Bracco will have a job in the top six. What is the waiver status of Kaskisuo? He can’t be a worse option than Sparks.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Kapanen / Matthews / Nylander
Hyman / Tavares / Marner
Moore / Kadri / Bracco
Korshkov / Marleau / Mikheyev
Gauthier

Reilly / Gudas
Muzzin / Hainsey
Dermott / Rosen
Sandin

Cap goes to 83 million...

1. Sign Marner for 10.5 per year.
2. Bridge Kapanen for 2.6 x2.
3. Trade Brown for a pick or prospect.
4. Trade Zaitsev for a pick or prospect.
5. Trade Johnsson or let him be offer sheeted.
6. Sign Mikheyev to a entry level deal.
7. Sign Hainsey to a reduced extension
8. Use the picks for Brown and Zaitsev to trade for Radko Gudas.

You have a better team than in 2018, with Marleau coming off the books at the conclusion of the year. Head into 2020 with about $10 million available (cap increase + Marleau contract), and the value gained in the Johnsson trade. Give Muzzin and Gudas raises and extend Dermott... You'll still have $3-$4 million to upgrade a forward, with Liljegren and Sandin entering the picture as legitimate backend options.

Patience!

Reactions: TakeTheBody

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
We likely wont have extras on the roster, we will probably be running a smaller roster to save cap space...Teams with a tight cap situation sometimes do this.

Rosen Vs Sandin will be a battle for 3rd pair LHD but ultimately i think Rosen will win the job.
Liljegren will be battling Holl for 3rd pair RD and is a year older than Sandin so i think he could make the team unless Oz comes back.

Depending on the trades we make to try and acquire a top 4 D we could have a l0t more space on the wings then we think. Engvall, Korshkov, Mikheyev, Marchment, Brooks, Timashov will all be battling for a couple spots i suspect. Bracco and Moore should be on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad