Which contract is worse for the next 7-8 years: Nurse at 9M or Sergachev at 8.5M?

Which contract is worse?

• Nurse at 9M

Votes: 194 67.6%
  • Sergachev at 8.5M

Votes: 40 13.9%
  • Both evenly brutal

Votes: 49 17.1%
  • What are you talking about? Both are terrific contracts

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Or maybe he just had the luxury of playing the same 6 teams over and over two seasons ago as opposed to last season when every team had a crack at him. It's pretty ironic that his best season came when the Oilers were playing 6 other teams all year. If anything, last season and every season but the one with the Canadian division should mean more when evaluating him.

Oilers are who they are though so they paid him off a career season.
The seasons prior to that, he took notable steps forward every single time. Yes, he's overpaid, but again, not as drastic as people make out it to be.

And rip on the Oilers all you want, you clearly have an agenda in your first 3-4 posts on here - but so far I would argue they've improved on the roster that went to the WCF final this past season and should now clearly be atop the Pacific and above everyone in aside from the Blues, Avs and maybe the Wild in the West.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Sergachev has been given limited opportunity over the last few years due to a much deeper D core. His even strength scoring rate has actually been solid a little while now all things considered. Consistency has been his issue but people forget how young he is and that defensemen often take a while longer to peak than forwards. He should more consistently get bigger minutes and a better partner, then this question would be more fair to judge.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Or maybe he just had the luxury of playing the same 6 teams over and over two seasons ago as opposed to last season when every team had a crack at him. It's pretty ironic that his best season came when the Oilers were playing 6 other teams all year. If anything, last season and every season but the one with the Canadian division should mean more when evaluating him.

Oilers are who they are though so they paid him off a career season.
Last season was easily Nurse's best season of his career, but you again prove you don't know a thing about the team, their circumstances, what happened in the market or Nurse as a player. Injured playoffs aside, he was a shutdown 1D taking on the most/toughest minutes in the NHL.

Nurse gets hated on more than Jones and Hamilton even though he's been better than both since they signed basically identical contracts.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Love

Feb 29, 2012
We don’t really know what Sergachev is because he’s never had to be anything more than the 3rd most important defenceman on his team. There’s a massive difference between being the go to guy and being the third option. Nurse on the other hand has nobody that’s even close to him at this point. Bouchard will probably surpass him soon but it’s too early for that right now.

To me that is what makes this question difficult.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Last season was easily Nurse's best season of his career, but you again prove you don't know a thing about the team, their circumstances, what happened in the market or Nurse as a player. Injured playoffs aside, he was a shutdown 1D taking on the most/toughest minutes in the NHL.

Nurse gets hated on more than Jones and Hamilton even though he's been better than both since they signed basically identical contracts.
A shutdown 1d? Nurse can’t shut anything down with his shit defensive play

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
A shutdown 1d? Nurse can’t shut anything down with his shit defensive play
I'm loving the defenses of Nurse. "He has such tough deployment."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand he plays like shit with that deployment.

Sergachev needs to find some consistency with his decision making on breakouts and tone down the penalties. But to put up the offense he has with no PP1 time is pretty damn impressive.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
Nurse is a way better player than Sergachev so far, lol. This website is so silly. With the narratives.

Sergachev hasn’t been that much better than Barrie. He’s just on the best team in the East, so it’s less noticeable.

I would take Nurse and not think twice about it. Let’s be real, Nurse was paid the “living in the Arctic circle” bonus. That’s just what Edmonton has to do to stay competitive. What the hell is Tampas excuse for that awful contract?

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
No, he's really not.
Based on what? Feelings? Word of mouth hype? Sergachev has been playing on an almost dynasty level team, and has been remarkably subpar and meh through it.

F2A87707-3006-4E4A-8B30-CB821FAF33BF.jpeg

He’s not generating many shots from the point. The offense is coming from down low. He’s been performing poor in his own end.

There is absolutely nothing redeeming about the player given the contract. This is not an $8.5m player.

While Nurse has historically been a trainwreck and liability in his own end, I attribute that more to team defense. Poor systems. Playing for Edmonton. But at least Nurse contribute to offense at an elite 1D level.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Based on what? Feelings? Word of mouth hype? Sergachev has been playing on an almost dynasty level team, and has been remarkably subpar and meh through it.

View attachment 570720

He’s not generating many shots from the point. The offense is coming from down low. He’s been performing poor in his own end.

There is absolutely nothing redeeming about the player given the contract. This is not an $8.5m player.

While Nurse has historically been a trainwreck and liability in his own end, I attribute that more to team defense. Poor systems. Playing for Edmonton. But at least Nurse contribute to offense at an elite 1D level.

Oh well, if your Sony Playstation charts say so, then it MUST be true. LOL.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
I really don't see what Tampa sees in Sergachev but at the same time their scouting department really deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Edmonton's however does not. So I'm leaning with Nurse.

Edit: Also lol@the guy who called him a shutdown D man. Nurse couldn't shutdown a laptop with the battery removed.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Nurse contract is worse, but Sergachev's is still terrible.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Serg is the better D but a small amount. He just plays on a better D core

But his is still the better D at 500K less

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I really don't see what Tampa sees in Sergachev but at the same time their scouting department really deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Edmonton's however does not. So I'm leaning with Nurse.

Edit: Also lol@the guy who called him a shutdown D man. Nurse couldn't shutdown a laptop with the battery removed.

a6LGK2R_460s.jpg

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
While I voted Nurse, I disagree with those bringing Cups into the equation and don't think you'd get wildly different results if they swapped teams/roles.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Curious to see this potential that everyone is talking about in action. Should be only a matter of time until we see him going against maxed out competition at that price tag. Nurse has much better Rel stats while playing against harder comps.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
The Sergachev deal is not good, but you will certainly see Sergachev put up more offense as he spends more time playing with the top six guys with McD gone PLUS Tampa can afford it since they are paying Hedman like a #2.

The Oilers can't hope that Nurse will put up more production with better players. He already plays with some of the best. And they can't afford to make him their #2.
Nurse will never put up big points because he will never be on the 1st powerplay. The only season he was on the 1st PP he scored 15 goals if I remember correctly

Reactions: Mr Positive
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad