Which Caps' player has impressed you the most so far?

edamer

Feb 22, 2012
Perreault, Fehr, Oleksy have all played very well.

Yeah, I'd say Perreault, he does not look lost at all in the playoffs, battles through everything, and somehow suddenly seems in better shape than in regular season. Bodes really well for the future.

Yeah, i remember when him an Mojo were breaking into the league and it felt like there would only be room for one of them, and it really felt like Perrault would be the odd man out. Now, in my mind, he is miles ahead of Mojo in terms of skill and passion.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Green is a good add. Other players seem to be trending up and down

Better early
Ovi
Oleksy
Carlson

Better late
Ward
Alzner
Chimera
Brouwer
Ribs

Fehr was better early than late due to his insane hit count but has been consistent over all.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Ovi has been so bad im starting to think he has a leg injury from the hip check in game 3. He would never sit out or use injury as excuse because hes not that type of player.

I havent been really happy with the play in general and think we are pretty lucky to have a lead in the series

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
ov wasnt bad last night. in fact he was demonstrably the best player in overtime last night.

btw....two overtimes. two wins. mike ribeiro. primary assist in game 2 and the goal in game 5.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes yes, we know. All hail McPhee for not trading Ribeiro, you said it in the Ribeiro thread as well.

thanks for posting for me. i actually was not making that point at all. there has been a thread in the media evident in the post game presser that ribeiro was struggling.

but thanks.

btw...do you think getting ribeiro was a good move? do you think keeping was a good move? since you brought it up and all.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
If I have to pick one it would be Perreault.

But this group has really impressed me:
Chimera
Fehr
Hendricks (for PK efforts)
Alzner
Brouwer (nothing to show for it really but he's been real solid IMO)
Ribeiro (see Brouwer)

Robert Theodorson

Apr 27, 2010
Washington DC
Alzner might have finally learned that good things happen when he shoots the puck.

Green has exceeded my expectations though, which were none before the series started.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We have a top pair. Some uncommon concept of pairing best LD with best RD works.

Also Carlson looks like playoffs Carlson. But that's to be expected probably.

3rd line is making them pay. But I would like to see another series to compare Caps' players play in different conditions.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
ov wasnt bad last night. in fact he was demonstrably the best player in overtime last night

I agree. And he was getting his chances in regulation, too, especially on that one PP. Just couldn't push it past. Hopefully he is coming back around now. At least others are stepping up while we wait for Beast Mode to re-engage. Anyway, we wouldn't even be in the playoffs without him. He carried us for two months.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
From an expectation/ability/salary to performance ratio standpoint, I don't think you can mention Green at all, but I think he's clearly been the most valuable, most important player for the Caps in this series. Reflected in his TOI and points, they wouldn't be anywhere without his outlet passes, his ability to get the Rangers' frequent dump-ins quickly out of the zone and into offense for the Caps, not to mention of course his flat-out elite ability in the offensive zone. Best or 2nd-best PP player, which might be the difference in the series, plus his willingness to shoot which seems to be shared by so few other Caps.

Everyone else has been listed, but a guy who's far exceed my own expectations is Johansson. Not because he's been awesome, but because he's better than I've come to expect - which is great skating away from being awful. He's actually done some nice things IMO. It's a shame 8 and 19 have gone long stretches without showing up because I'd like to see if the unit could rekindle some of its dominant form from the home stretch. Mojo looks more willing to mix it up, do some different things, put a body on a D-man, etc.

Bonzai

Nov 21, 2008
My eyes tell me that Alzner and Fehr have been our best players on the ice, even if the numbers don't necessarily back it up.

The Rangers haven't been able to content with Fehr's reach yet, and Alzner has been absolutely shutting them down AND getting some really nice shots from the point through.

Next two would probably be Ward, looking like the playoff performer we know he is, and Perreault.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Consistently the answers here are role players. That's great news. If 8, 19, 9, 20 get going, with the way our depth players are performing, that bodes well. So much better than relying entirely on Ovie and Green and having no depth.

alcoraces

Jun 1, 2008
Gotta be Eric Fehr. I watched him in Brandon and was so happy we drafted him, and then his shoulders went.

So glad to see him be who I thought he would be!

I don't want to start a new thread about it after such a positive win last night, but if Nicklas Backstrom does not show up for a playoff year once again it will not impress me one bit! The worst player on our team, year after playoff year! Why he went for a skate behind the net in overtime with the rebound laying in the crease is beyond me, and why he continues to dog it during the playoffs is an enigma as well. Come on #19, go back to Sweden and play for your country if you don't want to play in North America in May (any maybe even June!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad