Which "away" announcers are worth watching?

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
So not even sure if this deserves it's own thread but here I go wasting thread id's;

While I will always enjoy watching Sam call the game, sometimes it's fun to change it up and watch some of his peers.

My question is this, which current crews are worth watching? Maybe we bump this thread if someone feels that the "away" broadcast crew is worth tuning in to?

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Ray Ferraro & Emily
Ok, ok I'm just kidding. It's Jack Edwards
Kidding. Actually I've listened to interesting announcers but can't say/remember which exactly.

If Sam and Joe are available, I'll just listen to them. And by extension, the whole MSG crew. Vally/Hank/Boyle/Rupp... But most importantly Michelle :sarcasm:

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
DAL - Daryl Reaugh
SEA - John Forslund
VAN - John Shorthouse
TB - Dave Randorf/Brian Engblom
LA - Alex Faust/Jim Fox
MTL - Pierre Houde (French)
SJ - Randy Hahn

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Jim Jackson (Flyers) is fantastic.

My problem with a lot of hockey broadcasts is they chat too much during the game and do too little actual play by play.

Reactions: bl02

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
i like Philly, Dallas, Pittsburgh and (controversial) i like Washington's guys. They are very fair and balanced. I just hate how they call every single Caps player by their nickname.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i listen a lot in the car to siriusXM broadcasts. the Flyers radio guy has an incredible whimsical goal call.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So not even sure if this deserves it's own thread but here I go wasting thread id's;

While I will always enjoy watching Sam call the game, sometimes it's fun to change it up and watch some of his peers.

My question is this, which current crews are worth watching? Maybe we bump this thread if someone feels that the "away" broadcast crew is worth tuning in to?

Honestly, all of them except the Bruins one because Jack Edwards sounds like a drunk guy who just had a stroke.

My wife and I watch games through ESPN+ and for road games we set the VPN to a neutral location in the US and we watch the feed of the opponent. It's quite nice hearing other voices, and hearing how other broadcasts view the Rangers.

The best broadcast out there IMO is the Kraken one with John Forslund.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Boston.

ray-liotta-laughing.gif

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
canucks, john shorthouse and sometimes then have rangers hater ray ferraro

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Forslund is very good

I like Canadian broadcast announcers as they're a pleasant change, less overheated than many of US teams

Dunno how you guys feel about Burke, i like him, won't be surprised if MSG moves him over to NYR moneymaker (radio if they give Kenny TV) when Sam steps down

Megustaelhockey

Apr 29, 2011
Forslund is very good

I like Canadian broadcast announcers as they're a pleasant change, less overheated than many of US teams

Dunno how you guys feel about Burke, i like him, won't be surprised if MSG moves him over to NYR moneymaker (radio if they give Kenny TV) when Sam steps down
Burke is good. Goring is insufferable.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
People always talk shit about Joe in general and how Sam is old and slipping, but the reality is they are about as good as it gets for a local broadcast. Most of the other teams out there have at least one absolutely laughable personality in the booth. We're quite lucky to have them.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Was watching the Yotes feed for this one. Very generic, couple of Western Canadian meatheads in the booth, but actually a nice change of pace.

one thing Sam and Joe are not is cookie cutter.

Breaded Fox

Nov 8, 2010
NJ
People always talk shit about Joe in general and how Sam is old and slipping, but the reality is they are about as good as it gets for a local broadcast. Most of the other teams out there have at least one absolutely laughable personality in the booth. We're quite lucky to have them.
IMO Joe is obviously a very nice guy. But his go to "color" info is the same silly stuff every game. "The penalty killers are tied"..
Really wish we could get Maloney on TV. Good insight, passion, and funny too.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I’m the opposite of some. I don’t need them endlessly telling me what I’m seeing. So some chat or other info is fine. Honestly I’m watching the game and not often paying attention to them anyway.

Some of Joe’s go to phrases are tiresome after the 10000th time.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
Seattle and Dallas is good.

My least favorite non-Boston is the Lightning Radio - they have it on Sirius all the time and it is horrid.

Megustaelhockey

Apr 29, 2011
He was let go this past offseason and actually is one of the Rangers fill-ins on radio and also fills in for Jack Edwards in Boston.
Oooh, that's a mistake on LA's part. I think he calls a good game.

Whoever takes over for Sam needs to be young.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Oooh, that's a mistake on LA's part. I think he calls a good game.

Whoever takes over for Sam needs to be young.

I think MSG will totally revamp their booth when Sam retires. I think Joe will go too. Kenny may stay on radio because with all of his national commitments it's easier to miss games. Brian Boyle or Ryan Callahan would be good to replace Joe. Not sure what they do with Sam. Maybe they bring Burke over from the Islanders.

rangerlp

May 24, 2012
Certainly don't miss Jiggs and Eddie. All the years Eddie mispronounced Ray Ferraro's and Peter Zezel's last name not to mention his insightful obvious comments like "Why the Islanders are behind? Because they can't put the puck in the net, that's why...;". FFS

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Two of the better analysts in the league are Rob Ray & Jody Shelley if you can believe it. I was shocked when I learned it was Ray on Buffalo broadcasts.

One of the better duos, if not the best IMO, is Dave Goucher/Shane Hnidy in Vegas. I love Sam, but they would be such an upgrade on him & Joe.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I used to enjoy the chicago broadcast, there was so much energy involved and they stuck to the gameplay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad