Which are your favorite 3 trades?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I’d echo the idea that trading for the pick for Stone was more of a tribute to scouting and drafting than trading. The trade for the draft pick that got EK was a little more direct and astute, but still, the trade itself was less impressive than the drafting.

Turris and Anderson were both great trades, I’d probably add to the seeming consensus. And both were sort of reclamation projects in a way, which winning GM's often point out in hindsight was a key for their teams development.

But I think I would’ve put Anderson ahead of Turris, maybe just because Anderson has turned into a top tier goalie, while Turris is not quite an elite 1st line C. But still, I hafta confess, I was thinking Turret still had to prove himself as #2C at first, and he certainly has surpassed that. It's a tough call deciding between them.

I can understand the thinking that trading for Andy cost us a high draft pick, but I can’t use that to judge the trade. Even if you were more concerned with tanking than finding good players, we could’ve traded for him and not played him that year, which kind of did happen eventually. Anderson wasn’t really proven when he came over, only after he played awhile, and yes, perhaps knocked us out of contention for a better draft pick. But that doesn’t change the judgement of the trade itself for me, which apparently was something BMurr saw that the majority of us missed. Just like Rundblad and a 2nd seemed an overpayment at the time, BMurr obviously saw something many of us missed. And surely Colorado did think Elliott might be better. They must’ve wanted him thinking he was a better prospect, not because they thought he would help them tank. And Elliott did put up some good stats for a time for them.

Mesz and Vermette were both pretty good trades. We had already gone through a few years of the salary cap mandated losses of most of our pending ufa’s up to then, but these were two of our first cap mandated trades of rfa’s, and they stung a bit. But the Mesz one, after a holdout no less, turned out pretty good. The Palmieri pick has to be one of the more funny draft pick histories. We got the pick in a great trade, and eventually traded it for a cheap pmd. That pick I am told was traded 6 more times before the draft and the player has since been traded. And yet sometimes we look at that trade and wonder how our GM could trade a first rounder. Again, in hindsight, it seems BMurr's analysis was correct and our fears were largely unfounded.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Acquiring Anderson was a good idea in principle, and one of the few gems found by the pro scouting staff, but horrible timing on Murray's part. Acquiring Andy when we did took us out of range of Nugent Hopkins/Landeskog and put us into the range of Zibanejad/Couturier, also making Andy more expensive to re-sign. For that reason I'd argue it was a bad move on his part.

Greg Sherman: "Hey Bryan, we want to get Anderson out of Colorado ASAP. Coach Sacco hates him, Craig hates Joe, it's not pretty right now in our dressing room. You want to flip him for that goalie you aren't even going to qualify this offseason? Brian Ellet?"

Murray: "Elliott. His name is Brian Elliott."

Sherman: "Yeah, ok, I really had my heart set on that Ellet guy, but sure, I guess we'll take Elliott back instead. Look, I really need Craig out of here, I think he's planning to do something pretty damned illegal to Coach Sacco pretty soon. Let's do this. You want Anderson or not?"

Murray: "Greg, I'd love to significantly upgrade my goaltending basically for free and fix a position that has historically been the achilles heel of this organization since it's inception... but it's a really bad time right now."

Luther Quinton, a Time Traveler from the year 2237, who just recently visited the year 2015: "Bryan, I came here from the year 2015 to tell you that not only are you able to re-sign Anderson twice, both on bargain contracts, but that he is easily a top-10 goalie in the league for you when not injured. Also: you should keep him away from frozen chicken. The Time Police are telling me I'm not allowed to tell you why, but you just need to trust me on this one, chum."

Murray: "Hmm... nope. Bad timing."

... yeah, THIS is the better scenario. :shakehead

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I made a mistake. The stone thing was more of good drafting rather than trade.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Mark Stone, obviously.

what our scouting staff did months after the trade and what our development people did in the years following really has nothing to do with the trade.

getting a 6th round pick for Gonchar in his situation is way better then getting a 6th round pick for Auld in Auld's situation.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Landeskog would look great in a Sens jersey right now. We were 29th in the league at the time we acquired Anderson. Avs were 24th. Trade basically switched draft positions. Leading up to the draft the Sens were reportedly offering the 21st pick to move up from 6 into the top 3. Basically gave up a 1st round pick in terms of value because of the trade.

Imagine if the Sabres had acquired Lehner in February and lost out on Eichel for Strome/Marner. Same situation. The right idea to fix the goaltending position, but why in gods name would you do it when we're clearly out of the playoff race, with the only a high draft pick to redeem the season.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I ended up avoiding the draft pick trades because it was really more about the smart pick than the trade itself.

I went with:
-Turris
-Anderson
-Methot

Hale the Villain said:
Most of these weren't even good trades. Only in hindsight do many of them look good.

Er, isn't that a good outcome?

Would you rather they looked good at the time, but terrible in hindsight?

Hale the Villain said:
trying to fix the team's goaltending issues when we were clearly out of the playoff race was nothing short of stupid

In this town, with our goaltending history, if at any time you can fix our team's goaltending issues, you do it.

Hale the Villain said:
Landeskog would look great in a Sens jersey right now.

Anderson looks great in a Sens jersey right now.

Last edited:

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
IMO that Colin White trade will be just as important/steal as that Turris trade.

The draft picks are more a benefit of our scouts than it is of the trades themselves, Karlsson one is up there only because it became Karlsson.

Was going to post this, my order is also 8, 4, 1, as not only did the trade help us dump Legwand (short-term gain), but I think White is going to be a great player (long-term benefit).

I agree with this in general (and especially on Mark Stone), but I think that the Karlsson deal is a special circumstance because we traded up on draft day specifically to draft him. That's different from acquiring a pick and having a great player happen to still be on the board when it comes up.

Agree with this, which is why I included the Karlsson pick, but not Stone. I don't think anyone made that trade thinking, "finally, now we can get Mark Stone in the 6th round."

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
3. Anderson Trade-Got us a #1 goalie

2.Turris Trade-Got us a high end #2 center, who can hopefully improve to a #1.

1.Karlsson Trade: Got us a generational defenseman.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't consider Stone a trade, the pick might have been a trade but Stone was drafted by the organization. Do people consider Karlsson a trade since they traded up to get him?

1. The Turris trade brought back a future two way playmaking #1 centre who is defensively responsible & has gotten better every yr he has been here. He is one of our leading scorers & plays against the best every game & does very well. Can't say enough good things about Turris & how hard he works every game, he is an excellent example for the young players of what is expected & required to succeed.

2. The Ryan trade although he has yet to live up to his billing IMO, at some point I expect both Zibanejad & Ryan to break out & we are getting glimpses of that happening soon I hope. I could have put Methot here too but I wish they didn't trade Foligno, I liked the way he played.

3. The Michalek trade returned a top line two way forward who is every bit as good defensively as he was offensively. He gelled with Spezza & Alfredsson & produced when Heatley left & he is still playing well up to this point. He can play on any line & in any role, he is a valuable player to this team on both sides of centre but unfortunately he is not as much appreciated.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Karlsson, Bishop (getting him, not giving him up!) and Turris for me (didn't like giving up Rundblad but it turns out I have no idea what I'm talking about and he was a bust. Kind of cancels out giving up the Tarasenko pick for Rundblad though). Stone was more a matter of good drafting, I love Methot but I think it was more of a win/win trade anyway. As for Anderson, it's only a good trade because we get to sign him as an FA (and it's very possible that he doesn't sign with us if he hasn't already spend some time here as the result of the trade), so it's hard to evaluate.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Landeskog would look great in a Sens jersey right now. We were 29th in the league at the time we acquired Anderson. Avs were 24th. Trade basically switched draft positions. Leading up to the draft the Sens were reportedly offering the 21st pick to move up from 6 into the top 3. Basically gave up a 1st round pick in terms of value because of the trade.

Imagine if the Sabres had acquired Lehner in February and lost out on Eichel for Strome/Marner. Same situation. The right idea to fix the goaltending position, but why in gods name would you do it when we're clearly out of the playoff race, with the only a high draft pick to redeem the season.

I still feel that Zibanejad will prove we did not need Landeskog or Hopkins. Zibanejad in the NHL so far has been the most durable of the three. Courtier is not even a question for me. Zibanejad will top out at about 70points and be a hell of an all around player with faceoff prowess. He has already come a long way at the dot.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
My favourite trade is the one that gets #46 the (expletive) off this team.

JSGHY.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad