Which are your favorite 3 trades?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens have made numerous great trades over the years. Pick your 3 favorites that helped, help or will help the team the most in your opinion. You can also rank them 1 to 10 in a post.

1) Robin Lehner + David Legwand vs 2015 1st round pick (#21-Colin White)

2) Jakob Silfverberg + Stefan Noesen + 2014 1st round pick vs Bobby Ryan

3) 2013 2nd round pick vs Ben Bishop

4) David Rundblad + 2012 2nd round pick vs Kyle Turris

5) Brian Elliott vs Craig Anderson

6) Dany Heatley + 2010 5th round pick (#136-Issac Macleod) vs Jonathan Cheechoo + Milan Michalek + 2010 2nd round pick (#58-Kent Simpson)

7) Andrej Meszaros vs Filip Kuba + Alexandre R. Picard + 2009 1st round pick (#26-Kyle Palmieri)

8) 2008 1st round pick (#18-Chet Pickard) + 2009 3rd round pick (#70-Taylor Beck) vs 2008 1st round pick (#15-Erik Karlsson)

9) Alex Auld vs 2010 6th round pick (#178-Mark Stone)

10) Nick Foligno vs Marc Methot

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
lol didn't vote Turris by mistake...

4) Turris
5) Anderson
2) Ryan
6) Michalek +
9) Stone (that simple move allowed to strike gold with Stone)
7) Kuba ++
10) Methot
3) Bishop
8) Karlsson (only to move 3 spots, no like we trade for Karlsson)
1) White

Yashin vs. Muckalt & Chara & Spezza?

Under current managament.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
I picked the trade up for Karlsson, the Turris trade, and the Anderson trade, in that order.

I was going to pick the Stone one, but they traded Auld for a 6th and then picked Stone with it a year later. It's a great pick but they had no idea they'd get a star player for it.

Still it's kind of incredible that Murray traded a whole bunch of nothing and got Turris, Stone and Anderson out of it.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I went with the anderson, stone and karlsson picks. Its kinda hard. I remember at the time of the turris trade i felt adding a second round pick was slightly over paying and it should have been one for one.

I didnt really want to go with draft picks

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
IMO that Colin White trade will be just as important/steal as that Turris trade.

The draft picks are more a benefit of our scouts than it is of the trades themselves, Karlsson one is up there only because it became Karlsson.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Turris
Anderson
Kuba

I don't like evaluating trades based on draft results from picks, especially when they're late (Mark Stone). I consider those good picks, not really good trades.

I picked Turris for obvious reasons.

Andy because he's the best goaltender the org has ever had (excluding Hasek).

Kuba because he was a lot better than Meszaros and ended up being a great partner on the top pairing with Karlsson. Also Picard was decent for what he was and we got a 1st too which was sadly wasted on Campoli IRC.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
I don't like evaluating trades based on draft results from picks, especially when they're late (Mark Stone).

I agree with this in general (and especially on Mark Stone), but I think that the Karlsson deal is a special circumstance because we traded up on draft day specifically to draft him. That's different from acquiring a pick and having a great player happen to still be on the board when it comes up.

I went with Turris, Anderson and Karlsson. I did think hard about Methot, because that was a deal that filled an absolutely critical need for us.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I agree with this in general (and especially on Mark Stone), but I think that the Karlsson deal is a special circumstance because we traded up on draft day specifically to draft him. That's different from acquiring a pick and having a great player happen to still be on the board when it comes up.

I went with Turris, Anderson and Karlsson. I did think hard about Methot, because that was a deal that filled an absolutely critical need for us.

Yeah I like the Methot deal but Foligno was one of my favourite Sens players so the trade was bittersweet.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Turris, Karlsson, Anderson.

I can't count the Stone trade because it was for a pick that they made a year later.

At least with the EK and White trades, the picks were that year and they had their guy scouted.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Turris, Anderson, Methot for me.

I avoided the Karlsson "trade" since it was only moving up 3 spots, as well as the Stone move because that's purely down to having a terrific scouting staff.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I was about to vote Bishop, then I realized the poll meant the trade acquiring Bishop, not the trade sending him out of town.

:sarcasm:

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
i am a little confused. you put Alex Auld for a 2010 6 round pick but left off Sergei Gonchar for a 2013 6th round pick

Gonchar contract only had a few weeks left while Auld had more time(trade deadline? a season before?) so it is undeniable that the Gonchar trade was better yet you left it off the list while putting the Auld trade on the list.

why is that?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Most of these weren't even good trades. Only in hindsight do many of them look good.

Crediting Murray for acquiring the picks that were used to draft Karl and Stone is doing a disservice to the scouting staff - the people that were actually responsible for bringing those two players to the organization (not Murray).

Acquiring Anderson was a good idea in principle, and one of the few gems found by the pro scouting staff, but horrible timing on Murray's part. Acquiring Andy when we did took us out of range of Nugent Hopkins/Landeskog and put us into the range of Zibanejad/Couturier, also making Andy more expensive to re-sign. For that reason I'd argue it was a bad move on his part. Too be fair I'm sure he didn't think Anderson would win so many games for us down the stretch, but trying to fix the team's goaltending issues when we were clearly out of the playoff race was nothing short of stupid. I'm not in favour of tanking by any means, but imagine how much worse a team like Colorado would be right now if their GM decided to fix their issues late in 2009 and 2011 like Murray tried to do with the Anderson and Campoli/Comrie trades, giving them Cowen instead of Duchene and Zibby instead of Landeskog.

The Heatley trade was also a bad one for this team. It was a horrible return for a recent two time 50 goal scorer. Got a top 6 forward back in Michalek, but had to take on Cheechoo's contract, and Murray eventually gave away that 2nd round pick, along with our own to needlessly acquire Cullen and Sutton, two guys we would not re-sign at the end of the 2010 season, a year in which we clearly were not contending. Heatley regressing significantly doesn't change the fact that Murray wasn't able to get adequate value for him at the time of the trade. Would do the same 5 years later by trading Spezza for a similarly disappointing package.

Anyways back on topic - off that list my favourite 3 trades at the time would have been :

1. Lehner, Legwand for White - Murray did a hell of a job replacing Lehner with another promising young goalie in O'Connor, then moving Lehner and a bad contract for great value in the 21st pick. Elite scouting staff did the rest taking White, who looks like a legitimate steal outside of the top 20 picks.

2. Meszaros for Kuba, Picard, 1st - was never a huge fan of Meszaros, so to replace him with Kuba and acquire a 1st on top of that was more than okay with me. Too bad Murray would eventually waste that 1st round pick on Campoli and Comrie, in a move that still makes zero sense to this day.

3. Silfverberg, Noesen, 1st for Ryan - I had wanted to acquire a player like Ryan for awhile. Big top line winger that had proven history as a scorer. When the trade was announced on TSN I was hoping that it didn't include Zibanejad or Cowen, two players I thought (and still think) will be better players that Silfverberg going forward. Would have rather included Puempel than Noesen, and our 2013 1st over our 2014 1st, but you have to give to get. Deal in hindsight doesn't look nearly as good, mostly because the Ducks got Nick Ritchie, who looks like he's going to be an awesome top 6 powerforward.

I liked the idea of acquiring Kyle Turris, but felt at the time of the trade that Murray gave up too much value for him. Although Rundblad would eventually bust and Turris turned into a #1 center, was probably still right. Murray has a proven track record of not being able to get good value in trades.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
i am a little confused. you put Alex Auld for a 2010 6 round pick but left off Sergei Gonchar for a 2013 6th round pick

Gonchar contract only had a few weeks left while Auld had more time(trade deadline? a season before?) so it is undeniable that the Gonchar trade was better yet you left it off the list while putting the Auld trade on the list.

why is that?

Mark Stone, obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad