Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Pre Rakell/Lindholm (Fowler not being traded for peanuts) signing = 8/10
Anxiety = 5/10
Making the playoffs chance = 5/10
Overplaying Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler = 11/10
Dressing scrubs and letting them play 4 minutes per game = 10/10
First round playoff exit (if we make the playoffs) = 7/10
Nice possibility that Bieksa and Stoner are a pairing with RC = 7/10 (before it was -100/10)
eracknaphobia Kodi plugin making nhl.tv watchable = 710/10

So that has worked well for you? I've heard positive things but was sort of meh at the idea of setting Kodi up

As for the other, my preseason expectations were more along the lines of "I hope it's not too terrible" so anything else is a plus. I don't see it going so well towards the end of the season when RC has run the big boys into the ground by March though. We shall see.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
It's nothing new in the realm of Duck land, the ferris wheel keeps spinning.

Before season: 90% of fan base criticizes virtually every move made by the GM and always questions the direction of the team, always prompting rebuilds and retools.

During season: Ducks win division as they do every single year. They win the division while having incredible prospects, easily top-10 in the league.

There's what, 4 division winners in the league? Been reading JUNK on the forums about needing one or two dynamic top-6 forwards to even think of contending. I say to you: Do you ever get tired of being wrong? Like ever?

Definitely one of the least loyal fanbases in the league. But with that comes a lack of bias which is a plus.

Yeah, screw the people who are judging the moves by the GM who traded a 2nd for Bieksa,then signed him to a terrible contract, a contract with a NMC for literally no reason. Don't forget that contract almost made it impossible for us to keep Lindholm, who we only got to keep because Despres had a career ending injury.

Also screw the people who don't find this team to be a true contender seeing as we haven't actually made it to the SCF since we won in 07. The closest we got was when we had an actual cake walk to the WCF. When we have to play legit contenders, we choke in game 7 like always.

Fans shouldn't be blindly loyal to a team and accept every move and every outcome the organization makes.

Great, we are the best in the weakest division in the league. Doesn't mean **** when we can't win playoff series.

This team DOES need another top 6 scorer, this team will not win with this current roster (unless Gibson goes G.S. Giguere on the league). No one has been wrong about needing another top 6 forward, seeing as we want to be an actual contender and since we still haven't added one, we have actually contended for the Cup.

So I ask you, are you tired of trying to **** on the fans who questions the movement this under performing organization makes (or doesn't make) while you blindly follow and accept what the team does? Even if that means giving a ton of money to players who are keeping our young defensemen from playing in the NHL and actively hurting this team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
So that has worked well for you? I've heard positive things but was sort of meh at the idea of setting Kodi up

Only thing that bothers me about it is that you have to run it windowed on an alternative display. It forces itself to primary when going full screen. Still 100 x better than what NHL.tv offers for desktop.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg

Before season: 90% of fan base criticizes virtually every move made by the GM and always questions the direction of the team, always prompting rebuilds and retools.

During season: Ducks win division as they do every single year. They win the division while having incredible prospects, easily top-10 in the league.

There's what, 4 division winners in the league? Been reading JUNK on the forums about needing one or two dynamic top-6 forwards to even think of contending. I say to you: Do you ever get tired of being wrong? Like ever?

Definitely one of the least loyal fanbases in the league. But with that comes a lack of bias which is a plus.
This is far removed from reality. Textbook example of confirmation bias.

SoCalHockey

Jun 11, 2010
I'm very meh about the team. The off-season killed my hopes for a strong cup run so I'm in a place where I can cheer on wins and will be happy if they do well, but I don't get affected much by losses anymore. Tbh, I wish it was always like this.

This is how I've been for the last several years. There was a time that I'd get furious over a loss and it would stay on my mind all night and more or less ruin the rest of that night for me. Now I'll get disappointed at best and move on damn near instantaneously at this point. Granted, the passionate days meant higher highs to go along with the lower lows, but overall, I prefer how I am now w/ this team then I was. So much easier to manage emotions w/ an unpredictable team now.

edit: forgot to answer the actual thread question. I feel relatively good all things considered. My mind set is back in a place where i feel this team can win every night if they play their game. I think I get most of this positivity from seeing the Kesler line doing so damn well. My mood flows as they do I suppose lol.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Being overly critical can be an issue. So can being overly homer.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
The only time I'm anxious over the team is in the playoffs (and also the only time I'm upset with them :laugh:), but I'd imagine part of that is that we haven't been in a playoff race since 2011 and other part is that regular season success for the team is pointless given what the end goal is (or should be).

I'm feeling fine about the season so far, wasn't a fan of the RC appointment but I actually like the direction the team is taking under him, I feel like we're playing pretty good hockey albeit with some inconsistency. My biggest complaint would be he still hasn't shaken the need to play a worthless plug on the 4th line - this team would be much better off with a 4th line that can play 8-12 minutes a game. Would like to see RC load up the top 4 too with Fowler, Lindholm, Manson and Vatanen and just play the 3rd pairing for 12-15 minutes a night, it's crazy with a blueline as talented as ours that a 3rd pairing guy like Bieksa is getting more icetime then everyone not named Fowler or Vatanen.

I'm almost intrigued to see what BM does to get himself out of the salary crunch in the off-season (and to find room for us to get a scoring winger for the rest of this season).

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl

Agreed somewhat
Also ever the most anti fighting fans around. They will target the toughest forward and Defenseman every year and constantly complain and demand he gets traded or sent down. This year it's Boll and Stoner.
Although during live games fights get the largest reactions so it's mostly the message board fans who are usually not even from California.
Also I'd love to bump the Randy Carlyle hiring thread that was embarrassing

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
The only time I'm anxious over the team is in the playoffs (and also the only time I'm upset with them :laugh:), but I'd imagine part of that is that we haven't been in a playoff race since 2011 and other part is that regular season success for the team is pointless given what the end goal is (or should be).

I'm feeling fine about the season so far, wasn't a fan of the RC appointment but I actually like the direction the team is taking under him, I feel like we're playing pretty good hockey albeit with some inconsistency. My biggest complaint would be he still hasn't shaken the need to play a worthless plug on the 4th line - this team would be much better off with a 4th line that can play 8-12 minutes a game. Would like to see RC load up the top 4 too with Fowler, Lindholm, Manson and Vatanen and just play the 3rd pairing for 12-15 minutes a night, it's crazy with a blueline as talented as ours that a 3rd pairing guy like Bieksa is getting more icetime then everyone not named Fowler or Vatanen.

I'm almost intrigued to see what BM does to get himself out of the salary crunch in the off-season (and to find room for us to get a scoring winger for the rest of this season).
Like this example
Boll is not the reason the 4th line doesn't play 12-15min a night. Which BTW is a joke is that happened. He has created plenty of scoring chances and has not been a liability whatsoever.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
This is far removed from reality. Textbook example of confirmation bias.

Being overly critical can be an issue. So can being overly homer.

+1

Agreed somewhat
Also ever the most anti fighting fans around. They will target the toughest forward and Defenseman every year and constantly complain and demand he gets traded or sent down. This year it's Boll and Stoner.
Although during live games fights get the largest reactions so it's mostly the message board fans who are usually not even from California.
Also I'd love to bump the Randy Carlyle hiring thread that was embarrassing

"Make Anaheim great again!"

Like this example
Boll is not the reason the 4th line doesn't play 12-15min a night. Which BTW is a joke is that happened. He has created plenty of scoring chances and has not been a liability whatsoever.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
+1

"Make Anaheim great again!"

Oh has he been a liability? Has he not created scoring chances?
Even his harshest critics can admit he is a decent player not just fighter. I can understand complaining he hasn't attacked opposing players but that is on the coach. There is only a certain amount of instigator penalties a player can take without getting suspended so possibly they are saving that for later into the season

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Like this example

Boll has 1 point in 16 games and is making only a little less than Pirri who has 10 points in 18 games. So glad Murray spent that money on a useless plug who can't produce instead of using that money on re-signing a guy who is only good for scoring goals, something that is desperately need.

Boll is just not good enough to play on a team with cup aspirations.

Yemeth

Feb 3, 2013
Zagreb

As for the other, my preseason expectations were more along the lines of "I hope it's not too terrible" so anything else is a plus. I don't see it going so well towards the end of the season when RC has run the big boys into the ground by March though. We shall see.

Setting up Kodi is easy (as I get older I have less and less patience to read into new things, so even for me it was/is easy), also it is very easy to adapt to your needs. I have my PC connected to the TV with an HDMI cable, so I have set it up that when I turn on my TV the display is extended and later when Kodi is started it goes to screen 2 and turns off the main screen 1 monitor.

If you need specific help, do not hesitate to ask.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Oh has he been a liability? Has he not created scoring chances?
Even his harshest critics can admit he is a decent player not just fighter. I can understand complaining he hasn't attacked opposing players but that is on the coach. There is only a certain amount of instigator penalties a player can take without getting suspended so possibly they are saving that for later into the season

Boll has appeared in 16 games, averages a team low 6:08 TOI, only has 1 point, plays no special teams to make up for it, and is a team worst -6. Yes, he's been a liability. That's not even a debatable point.

He's better than expected as a hockey player, but has been a complete joke as an enforcer, and meh to embarrassingly bad as a fighter. The instigator thing is a red herring as he has zero and played in a game (LA) where it would have been entirely appropriate to have one. And when was the last time a player got 3 instigator penalties in a season anyway? The issue isn't that he isn't attacking opposing players. The issue is that he isn't hitting them, getting in their faces, getting into scrums, or in any other way sending a message. He's not skating over to players and chirping them as they go to the bench.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Like this example

I love fighting and physical hockey but I can't agree with this. Boll is terrible, he should be in the ECHL.

Stoner I like though, he's been very good this season. He's a solid bottom pairing defenseman.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Boll has 1 point in 16 games and is making only a little less than Pirri who has 10 points in 18 games. So glad Murray spent that money on a useless plug who can't produce instead of using that money on re-signing a guy who is only good for scoring goals, something that is desperately need.

Wagner has 4 points
Garbutt has 3 points and both play more minutes
Boll
Has 4 fights and the Garbutt-Wagner have 0

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl

Boll sometimes gets scratched when needed but this team won a cup with Parros, Thornton and May so I highly doubt that Boll would be a difference maker whether we win a cup or not but he definitely helps get the team into the playoffs if the team need energy from a fight which if you've seen the bench right after you would know

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Boll sometimes gets scratched when needed but this team won a cup with Parros, Thornton and May so I highly doubt that Boll would be a difference maker whether we win a cup or not but he definitely helps get the team into the playoffs if the team need energy from a fight which if you've seen the bench right after you would know

The team with Parros, Thornton, and May had 3 hall of famers. This team does not so I'm not sure I'd use that as a good comparative as to why Boll is on the team. He is really not a good player and RC playing his top guys so much has me a little anxious as to how they will hold up.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Only thing that bothers me about it is that you have to run it windowed on an alternative display. It forces itself to primary when going full screen. Still 100 x better than what NHL.tv offers for desktop.

I've used it in the past and the picture quality was excellent. Higher rez rate than the basic NHL.tv browser feed. But for some reason, I had way more issues with it buffering forever. I finally gave up and went back to the regular feed. I wonder if it is worth another try?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Wagner has 4 points
Garbutt has 3 points and both play more minutes
Boll
Has 4 fights and the Garbutt-Wagner have 0

So? How many of those fights has Boll actually won by the way? You're not debating my point at all, just stating that Wagner and Garbutt have more points but don't fight, so they don't belong on the team I guess? I don't get the point of this post. Both Wagner and Garbutt have proven to be better hockey players than Boll, especially Garbutt.

This is not the 07 team, this is not that 07 league. The NHL has changed from being big and bruising, to speed and skill. You know what also helps when the team needs energy? Goals. Goal > fights every day since goals actually help win games. But yeah, I'm sure the team will get much need inspiration when Boll fights someone for no reason and then loses that fight. Good thing we have someone like Manson who actually stands up for his teammates and can actually win a fight.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
How many scoring chances qualifies as "plenty"?

And just how loose a definition of "scoring chances" are we using?

I ask because I'm not seeing these plenty of scoring chances that Boll has created. I see a player who isn't doing much on the ice, and hasn't been particularly good at protecting the players from anything. That has me asking what, exactly, is the point of him. We have guys who can fight. We even have guys who can fight, who can play. Boll is adding nothing.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
If Boll is so great, why is he playing the least? Boll has just 0,8 hits per game even. Also, he has 4 fights this season in 4 separate games, out of those games Ducks won 2 so it's quite hard to claim that fights lead to wins or anything like that.

Even if Boll's fights energize the team, doesn't the same thing happen for the opposing team as well with their fighter?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If Boll is so great, why is he playing the least? Boll has just 0,8 hits per game even. Also, he has 4 fights this season in 4 separate games, out of those games Ducks won 2 so it's quite hard to claim that fights lead to wins or anything like that.

Even if Boll's fights energize the team, doesn't the same thing happen for the opposing team as well with their fighter?

Well, you could argue that the lack of ice time limits Boll's ability to be a positive influence.

I just don't buy it.

A player like him, he needs to be earning that ice time. When you're playing 6 minutes a game, there is no excuse for you to go out there and not throw your body around, or play a very high energy game. We saw that with guys like Thornton and May. They didn't get a lot of ice time most nights, but when they hit the ice they worked hard, and made their presence seen and felt. I don't see that with Boll.

Which is exactly my issue. Guys like May and Thornton could fight, and they could play, and they gave Carlyle a reason to play them. We don't need Boll. We don't need a heavyweight. We need guys like Manson, who can play, and fight, and are just legitimately solid players to have on the ice. Players who we actually want on the ice, because they can contribute, and who won't hesitate to stand up for teammates when needed. I don't think opposing coaches care that Boll is on our roster, and I don't think opposing players care either, unless we're talking about their skill players salivating at the thought of him trying to defend against them. Even opposing depth players probably enjoy that opportunity.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Anxiety = Expectation

No expectation at the beginning of the season. Not sure yet where my expectations are right now. Kinda just in a wait and see. If they are hear the top at the trade deadline and BM pulls off a miracle move, I'm sure my anxiety will rise.

That said, I'm always anxious playing against the Kings.

John

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad