Where would you rank Patrick Kane All Time?

Where would you rank Patrick Kane All Time?

• Top 25 or better

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Top 30

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Top 35

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Top 40

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Top 45

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Top 50

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Top 55 or lower

Votes: 70 49.6%

• Total voters

lawrence

May 19, 2012
greatest american player or at least a top 2 American player of all time. top 10 NHL player of all time. He deserves it.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
In 2019, the HOH Top 100 list ranked Hull 80th all-time (I think that was a bit low, but not by much). Has Kane passed Hull?

Players in the 50's, as of 2019, included Peter Forsberg, Chris Pronger, and Evgeni Malkin. I don't think Kane has passed any of them. So "55 or lower" seems to be the best option.
Malkin was rated too low on that list, and also put up at least one elite season after the list was made (top 10 in Hart voting and points per game), in addition to hitting some more milestones.

Malkin is realistically around 30th all-time (rather than 50th) on an updated, less biased list.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
In 2019, the HOH Top 100 list ranked Hull 80th all-time (I think that was a bit low, but not by much). Has Kane passed Hull?

Players in the 50's, as of 2019, included Peter Forsberg, Chris Pronger, and Evgeni Malkin. I don't think Kane has passed any of them. So "55 or lower" seems to be the best option.
Maybe post list, what is HOH, there are 2 Hull’s , I assume your talking Brett.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Malkin was rated too low on that list, and also put up at least one elite season after the list was made (top 10 in Hart voting and points per game), in addition to hitting some more milestones.

Malkin is realistically around 30th all-time (rather than 50th) on an updated, less biased list.

Post your list or get out of here with this bias nonsense. No other list was as heavily researched, scrutinized, and open to hockey from all time periods.

Esposito was 27th. Clarke was 30th. Trottier was 31st. Sakic was 32nd.

He hasn't overtaken any of these centres.

The highest vote he recieved was 33rd.

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal

I still dont have him ahead of: Sakic, Trottier, Yzerman, Bossy, Chelios, Robinson unless he plays 300+ more games and can keep well above a PPG. Hes clearly been slowing down, though. So I wouldnt bet on it.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Brimsek??? No. Chelios? Perhaps but if Kane retires with 1500+ points in addition to his multiple other accomplishments he’ll be the best American ever

Brimsek's reputation has grown immensely over the past decade as more research is done into 1930s and 40s hockey.

He was voted in as the best goalie pre 1950, though I have him second to Vezina. It's an insanely high bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: amnesiac

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Post your list or get out of here with this bias nonsense.
What’s nonsense is believing a list created by 30+ Canadians (many of whom were from a fairly xenophobic era) and 1 Russian poster is going to be unbiased. In addition to being biased, it is also already dated when it comes to players like Malkin, as I outlined in my post.

…unless he plays 300+ more games and can keep well above a PPG. Hes clearly been slowing down, though. So I wouldnt bet on it.

Malkin is about 160 points above a PPG, he will certainly retire above a PPG regardless of how many more seasons he decides to play.

Without taking this too far off topic by delving into a large number of players, Malkin can easily be argued above players like Yzerman and Trottier already as he’s definitely had a better peak, better prime, and a better playoff record. Malkin was the best player in the world in some years, unlike either of them. Malkin’s on the verge of hitting big milestones (500 goals, 1200 points) which should add even more career value as well.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Brimsek's reputation has grown immensely over the past decade as more research is done into 1930s and 40s hockey.

He was voted in as the best goalie pre 1950, though I have him second to Vezina. It's an insanely high bar.
Research it all you want, saying Brimsek is better than Kane is some hipster ass opinion. No, a goalie from 80 years ago isn’t better than a perennial superstar with a plethora of trophies and accomplishments in a 30-32 team league in modern times.

Out to lunch.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't have a top 100 list ready to go, but I agree with most who think he is absolutely top 100, probably not top 50, although he isn't done yet so we'll see how the rest of his career plays out.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I'd have Kane a ways behind the Esposito/Malkin tier but closing quickly on the Sakic/Trottier tier.

Kane is slowing down a bit this season, which is not good. He needs to stay at or above a point per game on his career when he retires to really preserve his legacy, IMO.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Research it all you want, saying Brimsek is better than Kane is some hipster ass opinion. No, a goalie from 80 years ago isn’t better than a perennial superstar with a plethora of trophies and accomplishments in a 30-32 team league in modern times.

Out to lunch.

Disregarding a player because of his birth year simply means you are unwilling to make an all time list.
What’s nonsense is believing a list created by 30+ Canadians (many of whom were from a fairly xenophobic era) and 1 Russian poster is going to be unbiased. In addition to being biased, it is also already dated when it comes to players like Malkin, as I outlined in my post.
There are about a half dozen Americans too.

5 Russians were ranked above Malkin.

Out of the top 100
9 Russians
6 Americans
3 Swedes
2 Czechs
2 Fins
1 Slovak

It is the most diverse list completed by HoH or any major hockey publication. It gave the most credit to Soviet hockey of any major list. It did the most to represent all time periods and hockey nations.

The 101 to 200 is even more diverse
11 Russians
6 Swedes
6 Czechs
3 Americans
2 Slovaks
1 Slovenia

Last edited:

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Disregarding a player because of his birth year simply means you are unwilling to make an all time list.

There are about a half dozen Americans too.

5 Russians were ranked above Malkin.

Out of the top 100
9 Russians
6 Americans
3 Swedes
2 Czechs
2 Fins
1 Slovak

It is the most diverse list completed by HoH or any major hockey publication. It gave the most credit to Soviet hockey of any major list. It did the most to represent all time periods and hockey nations.

The 101 to 200 is even more diverse
11 Russians
6 Swedes
6 Czechs
3 Americans
2 Slovaks
1 Slovenia
Nothing in your post refutes the basic fact that it is a biased list.

Next list needs to have 5 Canadian voters, 5 Russian voters, 5 Americans, 3 Slovaks, etc, to be considered unbiased.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Nothing in your post refutes the basic fact that it is a biased list.

Next list needs to have 5 Canadian voters, 5 Russian voters, 5 Americans, 3 Slovaks, etc, to be considered unbiased.
Everyone is welcome to participate. Being an English language forum will obviously skew the participants.

If you were to weigh out based on size in the Hockey world, you would still need to be a plurality Canadian. If you were to base it on hockey history, you would be an strong majority Canadian.

And it was the Canadian arguing for higher rankings of Soviet players.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I have him 15 all time on my wingers list, but I haven't updated it in a while. Wouldn't have him top 50 all time.

My top 10 wingers for transparency sake
1. Gordie Howe
2. Jaromir Jagr
3. Bobby Hull
4. Alex Ovechkin
5. Maurice Richard
6. Guy Lafleur
7. Sergei Makarov
8. Bill Cook
9. Mike Bossy
10. Valeri Kharlamov
Dont know who Bill Cook is, but I could guarantee Kane is better talent than him. P Kane is Round top 40 all time.

• Haha
Reactions: jigglysquishy

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Everyone is welcome to participate. Being an English language forum will obviously skew the participants.
Alright so it appears you agree, the list was biased.

If you were to weigh out based on size in the Hockey world, you would still need to be a plurality Canadian.
Don’t have the exact numbers in front of me, but something like 6 Canadian voters to 5 Russian ones could be accepted as an unbiased composition, for example.

Not thirty to one.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
I believe that lists should approximately display the same position distribution as the actual game (3F, 2D, 1G). So for Kane to break a top-50 list, he’d need to be around a top-25 forward all-time. As much as I like him as a player, I cannot conceive how he’d crack the mark.

Dont know who Bill Cook is, but I could guarantee Kane is better talent than him. P Kane is Round top 40 all time.
« I’ve never heard of that guy before but trust my opinion on him »

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
No it means the league has changed and quality of competition has drastically increased since the 30’s and 40’s.

Kane has managed to be one of the most productive players in the league over his entire career. Both in goals and points. He’s been consistently elite, 2nd only to Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, and sporadically to Malkin, Draisaitl, and Matthews. That’s incredible company to keep while in your 30’s as a player.

You’re overvaluing accomplishments from a player you never saw. Hipster. Ass. Opinion.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

The list is definitely outdated with respect to active players (that's why I specified it was from 2019). But I have a hard time seeing Malkin around 30th (that implies he's something like the ~18th greatest forward of all-time, and I can't see how he's close to that).

Maybe post list, what is HOH, there are 2 Hull’s , I assume your talking Brett.
Yes, I was referring to Brett Hull (who was ranked 80th). Kane may have surpassed him, but if so, it couldn't have been by much. I can't envision how Kane, at this point, would come close to Bobby Hull.

Link to the list (from 2019): Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad