Speculation: Where Will They Go? (Or Stay?)

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
As we get closer to the deadline, I would find it interesting to collect predictions where our board feels like each of our roster UFAs will be traded, or if they will end up staying here to the end of the season. Not necessarily looking for predictions on the return, just where you think they end up. I'll start.

Tarasenko - VEGAS - Stone on LTIR will free up the space and not only do I think they will add to make a push to stay in the playoff race, I think they look for a "brand name" like Tarasenko or Kane to do so.

O'Reilly - BOSTON (via Anaheim for double retention) - I just read yesterday that the Bruins were in on Horvat, which suggests that they may be looking for someone that can help them beyond this year. ROR would be a cheaper, less effective replacement, but a replacement nonetheless if this ends up being Bergeron's last hurrah.

Barbashev - TORONTO - He just feels like the kind of player they think they need to get past Boston and Tampa, and he will be someone who can play a middle six role productively without breaking the (cap) bank.

Acciari - I think he stays, and I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about a two year extension before the TDL, maybe even as soon as next week.

Mikkola - PITTSBURGH - He's the kind of cheap defensive depth you need when you're trying to milk one last playoff push out of your generational forwards.

Greiss - I think he stays because I don't feel like anyone is going to offer anything of value for him, especially if the contract situation puts them on the hook for his games played bonus.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
As we get closer to the deadline, I would find it interesting to collect predictions where our board feels like each of our roster UFAs will be traded, or if they will end up staying here to the end of the season. Not necessarily looking for predictions on the return, just where you think they end up. I'll start.

Tarasenko - VEGAS - Stone on LTIR will free up the space and not only do I think they will add to make a push to stay in the playoff race, I think they look for a "brand name" like Tarasenko or Kane to do so.

O'Reilly - BOSTON (via Anaheim for double retention) - I just read yesterday that the Bruins were in on Horvat, which suggests that they may be looking for someone that can help them beyond this year. ROR would be a cheaper, less effective replacement, but a replacement nonetheless if this ends up being Bergeron's last hurrah.

Barbashev - TORONTO - He just feels like the kind of player they think they need to get past Boston and Tampa, and he will be someone who can play a middle six role productively without breaking the (cap) bank.

Acciari - I think he stays, and I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about a two year extension before the TDL, maybe even as soon as next week.

Mikkola - PITTSBURGH - He's the kind of cheap defensive depth you need when you're trying to milk one last playoff push out of your generational forwards.

Greiss - I think he stays because I don't feel like anyone is going to offer anything of value for him, especially if the contract situation puts them on the hook for his games played bonus.
I’ll play:

tarasenko- vegas. I don’t think nj is comfortable paining price for rental and Carolina thinks they are smarter than everyone so they won’t pay needed price and then will blame injuries or luck or whatever when they lose to lesser team in 2nd round again.

ror- toronto. This is year for them to go big or go home. Will probly go home early anyway, but he is exactly what they need. If they pick him up and get goaltending couid we’ll go on long run.

barbie-edmonton. Feel like he could end up anywhere since he would help just about anyone. But oil seem like team where he would be great fit. if kostin can play regular role they can certainly use Barbie. They add piece like him they could make long run if their d holds up even a little.

acciari- tampa. They don’t have much cap space and he is kind of guy they like for bottom 6. Helps replace some of depth they lost.

miko- carolina. Because they know he just needs to be on right team to blossom. And he’s Finnish.

Greiss- stays unless someone has injury and needs goalie insurance so they overpay. I don’t think we deal him bc we don’t tend to trade guys for late picks and that is all he likely returns. And I think we want hofer to play lots in soringfield rather than mostly sit in the Lou.

and I think we deal someone with term. I’m gonna say Saad because his contract doesn’t suck so he is very tradeable but we don’t see him as core piece so would part with him. Gonna guess we send him home to Pittsburgh.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

oooooo let's play

Tarasenko - Carolina - This one is tough because I think there are multiple places he could go. Knights, Rangers, possibly but probably not the Devils, are all places I think he would go to. To me though, losing Patches to injury makes this more likely in my head unless Vegas gets into a bidding war. My gut is saying to go with the Canes

O'Reilly - Toronto - I think the most likely spot for him to land is Toronto just with everything surrounding that team and how they expect to do this postseason. I didn't know Boston was that serious about Horvat so I think there's some interest to trading him there, but I'm pretty sold on Toronto at this point.

Barbashev - Stays - This one is hard because he's a home grown talent and I think the Blues really like him as a player. There don't seem to be a ton of options at the deadline and I could see Armstrong holding on to him and extending him then. If Boston gets antsy and is adamant about shoring up their center depth, then I would go with them, but I don't know if I see Armstrong trading Barby.

Acciari - Stays - I don't see a ton of people inquiring about Acciari this deadline. He's a decent option on the 3rd line in case of injuries, but If you don't think you have good options next year down the middle, then I see Armstrong extending him and Barby to keep it at least meh instead of awful.

Mikkola - Seattle - I don't really have a good idea of teams needing defenseman, but Seattle seems like a good spot for him to end up. Their defense isn't great, nor apparently is it bad, but having a 7th guy like Mikkola could provide some stability if injuries happen in the playoffs. Washington also seemed like a decent place for him to go, or like you mentioned Pittsburgh could be a landing spot. I'll stick with Seattle and hopefully look like a genius if it happens :)

Greiss - ??? - This is heavily dependent on if a goalie gets hurt between now and the deadline. There are a lot of interesting teams that could use a goalie, but they are paying a lot of money for their "starter" OR they can't really send anyone down. I'm just going to list the teams in order that I think could or would use a goalie: Pens, Kings, Oilers/Kraken, Devils. I think the Blues are the ones talking to teams about Greiss rather than the other way around, but this could go either way with him leaving or staying.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
O'Reilly to Toronto
Tarasenko to Carolina
Barbashev to Boston
Acciari stays
Mikkola to LA Kings
Griess stays barring new injury news to goalie somewhere between now and deadline

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Tarasenko- Vegas, feels on brand for them to go for the big name brand item.

ROR- Toronto, they need a big splash to make headway in the playoffs with Dubas likely feeling the heat.

Barbashev- Tampa, he seems like a similar Swiss army knife type player like their previous Goodrow/Coleman/Hagel trades.

Acciari- Edmonton, C depth so they can keep Drai with McDavid as much as possible.

Mikkola- Carolina, they love acquiring inconsistent LHD that look fixable.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
ROR - Boston
Tarasenko - Carolina
Barbashev - Tampa
Acciari - keep
Mikkola - Edmonton
Greiss - begins the season as the Blues’ backup

If Army can’t get at least a 2nd or a 3rd + decent prospect for Mikkola, then I’d rather keep him.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Some of these I've just made up on the fly with nothing to base them on:

Tarasenko- Carolina or NYR
ROR- Vegas or Seattle
Barbashev- Seattle, Tampa or Toronto
Acciari- Stays
Mikkola- Pittsburgh, Edmonton, or Toronto
Griess- Stays, unless someone has their backup go down between now and the TDL

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
Tarasenko to Vegas. We'll get their first + a prospect.

ROR to Colorado for a 1st + a prospect.

Barbashev to Toronto for a 2nd.

Acciari to Tampa for a 3rd.

Mikkola to Edmonton for Poolparty + a 4th.

The wild card would be Krug to Ottawa or Parakyo to Edmonton instead of Mikkola. Obviously not UFAs but figured I'd include that hopium.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Damn Imagine if ROR has a bounce back after his Injury. Boston could be running Bergeron/Krejci/ROR down the middle or they could put ROR on the wing. That will be a nightmare for other teams
More importantly, Bergeron and ROR on the PK

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Greiss, Both Vegas and Seattle will be looking for Goalie Depth to add to their playoff rosters. 5th Round pick
Bortuzzo and Accari to Boston for 3rd (2023) and 4th (2024)
Barbie to Pitt for 2nd (2023)
ROR 50% retained to New Jersey, for 1st and 3rd (2023) + Andres Johnson (Cap Dump)

To Washington, Tarasenko 50% Retained, T. Krug
To St Louis, Anthony Mantha (1 year remaining at 5.7)
2023 1st
2024 4th
Vincent Iorio

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Vladi - Carolina (Plz god don’t be VGK)
ROR - BOS or TOR
Barbashev - Tampa
Accari - Seattle
Greiss - who cares just waive him and let Hofer start now.
Mikkola - who cares just give us a 3rd or 4th

This shit really just sucks.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Vladi - Carolina (Plz god don’t be VGK)
ROR - BOS or TOR
Barbashev - Tampa
Accari - Seattle
Greiss - who cares just waive him and let Hofer start now.
Mikkola - who cares just give us a 3rd or 4th

This shit really just sucks.
Sweet baby Cthulhu hell no.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Sweet baby Cthulhu hell no.
I mean backup. Not actually start. If we are selling off then let him and Binner split the last 30 games or whatever. Who cares at this point. Binner has been ran into the ground anyways so it can’t hurt.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
It would almost make me sick to trade ROR to Toronto for fear he might be what they need to finally win. Please don't let them win it because that's one of the few enjoyments I have every playoffs.
I don’t get the hate for the leafs. Yes their fan base is insufferable but the team itself has had its fair share of disappointments. I wouldn’t hate seeing them finally get it done.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I mean backup. Not actually start. If we are selling off then let him and Binner split the last 30 games or whatever. Who cares at this point. Binner has been ran into the ground anyways so it can’t hurt.
Zero interest in screwing up his development by putting him behind this god awful defense

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Zero interest in screwing up his development by putting him behind this god awful defense
So just wait to put him behind this god awful defense next year then? You are just delaying the inevitable unless they totally tear down and rebuild the D by next year...

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Tank - NYR
ROR - Stays and gets a 3 year deal at a discount
Barbie - Stays

The rest I don't know

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So just wait to put him behind this god awful defense next year then? You are just delaying the inevitable unless they totally tear down and rebuild the D by next year...
Yeah basically. Let him continue to tear up the AHL until the end of the year. Why the f*** are we wanting to rush players to the NHL? Let him finish this year in the AHL hopefully go far in the playoffs again, and let's see if he can have some success. They have something very good down there right now with Hofer and Zherenko.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Yeah basically. Let him continue to tear up the AHL until the end of the year. Why the f*** are we wanting to rush players to the NHL? Let him finish this year in the AHL hopefully go far in the playoffs again, and let's see if he can have some success. They have something very good down there right now with Hofer and Zherenko.
Ok I mean I guess.. lol

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I don’t get the hate for the leafs. Yes their fan base is insufferable but the team itself has had its fair share of disappointments. I wouldn’t hate seeing them finally get it done.

Never said I hated the Leafs or the fans. It's just that their over reaction is really enjoyable every spring.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

He can come up, get a cup of coffee. He gets some NHL experience, and bigger pay check. We can see how he looks and if we need a plan B for a backup next year. Then we send him back down for the AHL playoffs. Its not like we need him in the NHL after the season ends. Its not like playing 10 or so games in front of a bad defense is going to wreck him. And if it is, its better we find out sooner than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad