Where Will Our Power Play Rank this Year?

timi0000

Mar 22, 2012
Just curious where everyone thinks our power play will rank this year and what our percentage will be. With our talent I keep hoping we can crack the 25% mark.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
no team passed 22% last year and no team has hit 25% since the capitals did it in 09-10. still anything is possible.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
No Sullivan. Neal at the point. No discernible quarterback.

13 percent

Edit: Assumed that the basement teams were generally around 10 percent, when the actual basement number is typically between 12-14 percent. So I'll adjust my number to 17 percent. Finish somewhere between 15th and 20th in the League.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We were 5th in the league in PP%, 4th in goals scored. I think that we fall off from that. Our personel did not markedly change from the PP that was a whipping boy for quite a few years prior to last year. So you would have to think that although the improvement was real, likely due to growth of some of the key players and system adjustments, being that good likely was somewhat of a fluke. I would say maybe 9th or 10th.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
The sky is falling, Tangradi's not on the first power play, Dan Bylsma smells, Martin's still playing hockey, etc.

I'll say 5%, good for 31st, behind the expansion Las Vegas Degenerates.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
1st. It's only a matter of time before that much talent lives up to its capability. One thing that would really help is if Letang can (1) make quicker decisions about getting shots on net and (2) get more shots on net. Obviously it would be nice to see him get more goals, but just actually getting the shots on net can lead to so many more goals via deflection, rebounds, offensive zone faceoffs, etc. The delay + shoot directly into a PK'r routine is getting old.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
They'll be in the top seven, feel strongly that Sid and Geno are going to find a way to co-exist.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
NVG

NotVeryGood

If HCDB insists on taking the player leading in PP goals from the role that got him to be the leader in PP goals and put him on the point.....

Arg! Why does Bylsma fix things that are not broken?

Neal absolutely must STAY in his same spot that netted 19 PPG. Pen's do not have a replacement for his shot from the circles. You have to build around our 3 best PP players and those are Malkin, Neal, and Letang in that order. I still think Kunitz in the crease, and the 5th can be an open contest. I do not think it should be gifted to Crosby just because he's Crosby. He seems to really mess up the Pen's, ie Malkin's PP. I'd rather have 2 D on the PP to stop giving up SHG so often.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Pens have to adopt a 1 - 2 powerplay model to be successful. Sid and Geno have simply outgrown each other on the powerplay. Too much time spent playing apart. A powerplay with both just leads to a 2 on 4 instead of a 5 on 4.

I'd love to see them split off into two units, similar to how Detroit does it. Get the freshest unit on the ice for the PP. Get the other unit on the ice for the final minute. Maybe a little competition gets going internally. Couldn't hurt. They have the talent to stack both units too.. many teams would only dream of having it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad