Where will Gio finish on the all-time greatest Flames list?

Wish You Were Here

Mar 14, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
My Top 10 favourite Calgary Flames of all-time:
Al MacInnis
Jarome Iginla
Joe Nieuwendyk
Theron Fleury
Gary Suter
Mike Vernon
Mikka Kiprusoff
Gary Roberts
Lanny McDonald
Mark Giordano - If he ever wins the James Norris Memorial Trophy or leads Calgary to a Stanley Cup Final series, he'll move up my list.

I left off some very talented players; some due to the shorter periods of time that they played for the Flames, some because they were on the last effective laps of their careers:
Kent Nilsson
Hakan Loob
Sergei Makarov
Doug Gilmour
Joey Mullen

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I can pretty confidently say there is no defenceman doing what Giordano is doing this year, even if there’s a couple guys putting up bigger points. The guy is a fantastic combination of offence and defence.

I think this is his year.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
When his career is over his number will be hanging from the rafters. Heart and soul of the team.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
There's a very clear top tier. Giordano doesn't get in that conversation for me.

Fleury
Iginla
MacInnis
Makarov
Nilsson

He probably makes it in the second tier

Gilmour
Giordano
Kiprusoff
McDonald
Niewendyk
Vernon

Comparing Gio to MacInnis is like comparing Gretzky to Yzerman. If Al had not suffered the eye injury he would have competed straight up against Ray Bourque for all-time Defense points leader... That is how good Killer was.

• Makarov was a shell of his former self by the time he came to the NHL and only playerd 4 seasons for the Flames therefore can not be mentioned in the best Flames.
  • Fleury though a great offensive talent could not handle leading a team (for reasons we found out later) and though very good is far from the best Flame. I would rate Niewendyk higher than Fleury.
  • Kent Nilsson was an amazing talent but was only in Calgary for 5 seasons and was cast away because of his bad example of being lazy and complacent.

Best Flame therefore has to be between Kipper, MacInnis, Gio, and Iggy as all exemplified doing everything needed to help the Flames win.

My order...
  1. Jarome Iginla (Spent 16 season... Leadership... Fought for his team mates and will go down as one of the best ambassadors of the game. No Flame did more for Calgarians than Iggy)
  2. Al MacInnis
  3. Gio
  4. Kipper (Still under-rated as far as how dominant he was.)

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Top 6 or 7 for me right now. Could finish almost anywhere in the top 5 depending how his career finishes.

My top 20 with current players

1. MacInnis
2. Fleury
3. Iginla
4. Niewendyk
5. Kiprusoff
6. Giordano
7. Gaudreau
8. Roberts
9. Vernon
10. MacDonald
11. Loob
12. Suter
13. Monahan
14. Otto
15. Mullen
16. Makarov
17. Gilmore
18. Nilsson (was one of the best, just not long enough kind of like Gilmore to me)
19. Regehr
20. Macoun

Honorable Mentions: Titov, Langkow, Gelinas, Peplinski, Wilson, Lemelin, Hunter, Quinn

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I can pretty confidently say there is no defenceman doing what Giordano is doing this year, even if there’s a couple guys putting up bigger points. The guy is a fantastic combination of offence and defence.

I think this is his year.

The amazing part of it all, is that Gio is doing this at the age of 35.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't know how to make lists, but he's gotta be a top 2 Flames defenseman and top-5 Flame of all time right now.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Where does Gio rank if he plays 4-5 more seasons. Adds 225 more points, wins a Norris and Captains the Flames to their 2nd Cup?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
MacInnis was the best. I don’t think there’s even a legitimate argument, that could be made otherwise. In terms of best ever Flames, assuming it would be a 23 man roster, and he’d definitely be on it. Where he ranks, all time, that’s a discussion that could go on forever. The game has just changed so much. Personally, I’ve got MacInnis and Suter pretty easily ahead of him. That being said, I don’t even remember Reinhart, but I’m sure arguments could be made. Even a worrior like Macoun. How do you measure his contributions, back then, compared to today.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think Giordano is pretty clearly the second best defenseman to ever play for the Flames.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Giordano is pretty clearly the second best defenseman to ever play for the Flames.

On a team that's had some legit Dmen throughout their history; yeah, Gio is right there for second.
Al MacInnis is an all-time great in the NHL. While I love Gio, he doesn't sniff that.

IF he can win a cup with this team, I bounce him above a number of guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad