Suzuka Taka, DK Peregrine
Naho Terashima, Daishin
Haruka Toko, Seibu Princess Rabbits
Rui Ukita, Daishin
Haruna Yoneyama, DK Peregrine

Head Coach:
Takeshi Yamanaka

Japan

Unlike South Korea, basically all Japanese lol. Also can someone explain to me why hockey is so popular in Hokkaido but not Iceland nor Greenland, both have small populations, Hokkaido is surrounded by a barren part of Russia in terms of popular hockey countries go. Iceland and is surrounded by Canada, Sweden, and Finland. Greenland is literally full of free outdoor rinks. I am le disappointed.

Reactions: uncleben85

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good luck to Team Japan and indeed all nations at the Olympics. I believe women's hockey is more popular in Japan than men's hockey.

Reactions: uncleben85

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Typical for Japan it's a result of corporate nomenclature, Seibu for Seibu Railways and Princess after their Prince Hotels subdivision. Rabbit was the team mascot already when the club was known as Kokudo Keikaku (another Seibu corporate subdivision). Men's Prince Rabbits team only plays recreational hockey at the moment I think, they used to be the internationally better known side although also women's team was established already in 1974.

Kokudo-Keikaku-Ice-Hockey-Team.jpg

20090329_519009.jpg

img_133159511824234200.jpg

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Unlike South Korea, basically all Japanese lol. Also can someone explain to me why hockey is so popular in Hokkaido but not Iceland nor Greenland, both have small populations, Hokkaido is surrounded by a barren part of Russia in terms of popular hockey countries go. Iceland and is surrounded by Canada, Sweden, and Finland. Greenland is literally full of free outdoor rinks. I am le disappointed.

Shouldn't be any particular reason. Hokkaido has a bit of history in sport, and the climate is similar to Scandinavia and Canada so it makes sense they looked to hockey as a winter sport. Greenland has a miniscule population, and a lot of economic related issues. Iceland has a population smaller than Metro Halifax, but has a higher per capita hockey participation than Slovakia. Hockey is popular enough, they're just too small and the sport requires a significant amount of training and development to be good at. If Iceland had even half the population that Slovakia did (so 2-2.5 mil), I'd wager they'd have a few NHL players.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
According to the IIHF Iceland has 64 senior male players, 395 junior male players, and 107 female players. Even per capita that is much worse than Slovakia in men, although better in women.

Iceland

I don't think Slovakia's numbers (or Iceland for that matter) are up to date, but using those figures, it's really not that far off. 1 in 591 for Iceland, and 1 in 473 for Slovakia. A lot better than a country like Denmark too, who has several very good NHL players (1 in 1209 for Denmark using IIHF data). It's hard to do anything hockey related when your population is so small.

For a more on topic comparison, 1 in 6670 Japanese are registered hockey players, though, when your population is that high, the comparability doesn't scale at all.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don't think Slovakia's numbers (or Iceland for that matter) are up to date, but using those figures, it's really not that far off. 1 in 591 for Iceland, and 1 in 473 for Slovakia. A lot better than a country like Denmark too, who has several very good NHL players (1 in 1209 for Denmark using IIHF data). It's hard to do anything hockey related when your population is so small.

For a more on topic comparison, 1 in 6670 Japanese are registered hockey players, though, when your population is that high, the comparability doesn't scale at all.

Just surprised China with over 1.3 billion people has less hockey players than Japan haha.

Hospy

Mar 18, 2013
Japan's only sending a women's team, and this is the women's roster.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's of decent popularity in Beijing, Shenzhen, Shanghai, and places like Harbin, but really not that popular.

Decent teams, decent facilities, foreign players, horrible attendances. Jilin in the VHL is probably the most successful at the moment, but also their roster is almost all foreign. The various Kunlun teams (KHL Beijing/Shanghai, VHL Harbin, CWHL Shenzhen) have got almost nothing going. But in women there's potential because a national team that is an Olympic contender is within reach.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
Decent teams, decent facilities, foreign players, horrible attendances. Jilin in the VHL is probably the most successful at the moment, but also their roster is almost all foreign. The various Kunlun teams (KHL Beijing/Shanghai, VHL Harbin, CWHL Shenzhen) have got almost nothing going. But in women there's potential because a national team that is an Olympic contender is within reach.

(Please delete glitchy hf issue)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad