OT: Where is everybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VooX

RIP Fugu
Apr 16, 2007
Canada
www.kuklaskorner.com
Fugu, while the Trade Lidstrom thread is an example, it is the general holier-than-thou, smarter-than-you, you're-not-as-big-a-fan-as-me nonsense that is so off-putting here. When I first arrived, there was mutual respect within the debate and discussion. When I left there was none of it.

Another major problem I have is that while all the things I listed above are going on, mostly passive or slightly aggressive behaviour, if you want to tell somebody off for being a ********* with a bad attitude, mods jump in and punish. Thus leading to a lack of accountability and the annoying behaviour continues unabated.

At least at A2Y we can tell people off (who deserve it) without fear censure or banning.

Just ask [mod] about that (name obscured to protect the guilty). After years of being a blowhard here, he started regular (instead of sporadic) commentary at A2Y this season and has been told off countless times for being a pompous *******. We don't hear much from him at A2Y anymore, certainly not like earlier this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Some people don't want to count their chickens just yet. This team is red hot right now and need to KEEP playing that way to Finnish off Chicago. Then people can breathe a little easier.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Fugu, while the Trade Lidstrom thread is an example, it is the general holier-than-thou, smarter-than-you, you're-not-as-big-a-fan-as-me nonsense that is so off-putting here. When I first arrived, there was mutual respect within the debate and discussion. When I left there was none of it.

Another major problem I have is that while all the things I listed above are going on, mostly passive or slightly aggressive behaviour, if you want to tell somebody off for being a ********* with a bad attitude, mods jump in and punish. Thus leading to a lack of accountability and the annoying behaviour continues unabated.

At least at A2Y we can tell people off (who deserve it) without fear censure or banning.

Just ask [mod] about that (name obscured to protect the guilty). After years of being a blowhard here, he started regular (instead of sporadic) commentary at A2Y this season and has been told off countless times for being a pompous *******. We don't hear much from him at A2Y anymore, certainly not like earlier this year.

Voox I think you are taking this internet forum thingy way too seriously. why get so riled up over someone's opinion you dont even know? C'mon, holding grudges after 3 years?

I'm glad you found a place that fits you better. Maybe you wanted a place where you can hangout and be buddy buddy with everyone. But to say this place is filled with 'holier than thou' attitude...I think your statement is kinda ironic dont you think?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

While you may not be posting here, obviously you're still lurking and seeing some things you don't like.

You won't believe me, but there is nothing unique going on on the Wings board that doesn't happen on every single team board. Oddly, the mood of every board also fluctuates with the team's fortunes. As an admin, I see all the reports and everything that's done across all of HFB. Every time we run into patches of true bloodletting on a team forum, you can correlate it directly to the team's record, and especially if that record of failure has been ongoing for more than one year.

There certainly are posters here, and on some other HF forums I read, who really annoy me, but I also know there are many whose posts I really enjoy, and furthermore, have made many e-friends here over the years as well. It's like a microcosm of real life. You'll get a bit of everything. Sometimes you take a few days off, or wait for some news to hit the re-set button.

We can't let things go the way A2Y does. HF is a business after all, and it's subject to rules where membership is 13+. If we allowed greater profanity and adult material, we'd be regulated as an 18+ site. Advertisers also take that into consideration, since 18+ content would get filtered by most corporate and public sites.

We have over 60 forums and tens of thousands of members. If we let a lot of that kind of stuff go, we wouldn't be the world's biggest board, and imo, far from it.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I really avoid posting and talking due to 3 people. I'm not naming them but I'm sure everyone can guess.

They go out of their way to destroy anyone who has an opinion that doesn't match.

That said - I get so much good information here that I can't stay away, I just prefer to not raise the wrath of the cool guys.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Don't tease mindfly! He is having a hard time. The Wings passed round 1 and are 3-1 in round 2. It can't be worse.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But the fact is the team got hot at the right time. The question is for how long.

I'm nervous. Of course, the Wings would still be underdogs assuming they make it to the next round, but it they somehow get past that, the finals would be horrawful.

There's few teams that can play with the Pens, and the Wings aren't one of them.

Some people don't want to count their chickens just yet. This team is red hot right now and need to KEEP playing that way to Finnish off Chicago. Then people can breathe a little easier.

Hah hah, I have eight of the little suckers. Well, technically lovebirds are not chickens, but meh, close enough.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I really avoid posting and talking due to 3 people. I'm not naming them but I'm sure everyone can guess.

They go out of their way to destroy anyone who has an opinion that doesn't match.

That said - I get so much good information here that I can't stay away, I just prefer to not raise the wrath of the cool guys.

Our goal is to make this a place people feel welcome and can have fun. Thunder dome is not the aim. Folks, PM one of the mods if you think a problem can be addressed.

The very reason I volunteered to mod is to chip in keeping this joint classy. Top hat classy. Monocles help, too.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

Seriously, the reason there is an option for members to put other users on ignore is for exactly this purpose. You don't have to talk to everyone, or even see their posts. :)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Our goal is to make this a place people feel welcome and can have fun. Thunder dome is not the aim. Folks, PM one of the mods if you think a problem can be addressed.

The very reason I volunteered to mod is to chip in keeping this joint classy. Top hat classy. Monocles help, too.

Really surprised your Datsyuk avatar is devoid of a monocle. Can't change it now though it would upset the cosmic balance and all the winning. But it would fit perfect with Datsyuk in a bowler/top hat.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Really surprised your Datsyuk avatar is devoid of a monocle. Can't change it now though it would upset the cosmic balance and all the winning. But it would fit perfect with Datsyuk in a bowler/top hat.

I know, right! But you're absolutely correct, NOBODY can change their avatar now. We must all continue the same thing we've been doing. Superstition this time of year is vital.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I know, right! But you're absolutely correct, NOBODY can change their avatar now. We must all continue the same thing we've been doing. Superstition this time of year is vital.

To the octomobile!

bwananananana....:D

Houston Red Winger

Jun 1, 2008
Houston
I stopped coming here often for two reasons:

1) The tendency of two many Red Wing "fans" to harp on the mistakes and make mortal enemies out of several or more players. The hate and insults they pin on these players they deem responsible for all bad things is very depressing. Instead, they should appreciate what each player has to offer the team, in terms of skill, attitude, work ethic and character. The Red Wings have this in embarrassing large quantities, and we should be grateful to have such great people on our team. Our team captain is setting the example for his team, and I swear Nyquist is starting to develop a lot of Datsyukian offensive and defensive moves, etc. We are lucky to be fans of a team like this!

2) The player strike / lockout forcing us to lose half the season sucked a lot of enthusiasm out me, and I am sure it had the same effect on many others, too.

That said, I admit I am spoiled expecting the Red Wings to win all the time, and watching games with the attitude of "we better not lose" takes the enjoyment out of the game. I need to focus and enjoy the positive stuff!

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

The irony is that this is the most over moderated section of the internetz. And with that being the case the board has been turned into what people are complaining about because of one poster. I'm sure I'll get a demerit for saying this. All I can say is that I'm speaking the truth in about as PC a way as possible.

I've never left because I have a very large ignore list. There are also people who have been here as long - if not longer - who I get along fine with even when we disagree. So I cannot agree strongly enough with how awesome the ignore feature is, it is the absolute best form of "moderating" available! :D

MissNHL

Oct 31, 2008
Hockeytown, Michigan
Two reasons I haven't posted much in the past 2 years:

1. The bickering that goes on. While some view it has debate, it is not. Debates do not have finger pointing or the "I am right, you are wrong" attitude.

2. Life. Busy with school, work, volunteering. I swear, there are times I surprised I remember to breath.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
The irony is that this is the most over moderated section of the internetz. And with that being the case the board has been turned into what people are complaining about because of one poster. I'm sure I'll get a demerit for saying this. All I can say is that I'm speaking the truth in about as PC a way as possible.

I've never left because I have a very large ignore list. There are also people who have been here as long - if not longer - who I get along fine with even when we disagree. So I cannot agree strongly enough with how awesome the ignore feature is, it is the absolute best form of "moderating" available! :D

No demerit points, as long as we don't name names. The feedback from the regulars is good to have, and certainly I'm not hearing anything that's being said that I haven't heard about the Wings board, and several others.

Overall, immediately following the lockout, HF has had sustained growth well into the double digits (as far as unique traffic). Like I mentioned upthread, the Wings section has actually been booming. In that sense, I have no idea why Ari is asking where everyone is because we have many more members posting. Of course, there is a natural cycle of older posters getting burned out, bored, new priorities, etc. You don't see some of the same names (and several of you have come out of the woodwork), so maybe that's what he means.

The interesting thing is fabricoh thinks the place is overmoderated, yet much of the complaining I'm hearing from most of you is about the interpersonal dynamic-- feeling mocked, belittled, attacked for your views, the blame game (which a Flaming rule would cover) or not liking that other posters don't share your positive/negative views. If everyone agreed about all the topics here, did you consider there wouldn't be much left to discuss? We'd all (a) cheer Rah Rah Rah for our team, or (b) Our Team Sucks (Ari's avatar) and then twiddle our thumbs.

Speaking of thumbs, our rule of thumb for HFB moderation is to not take sides in the debate, but to provide a canvas where each member can express his/her opinion. We're not here to tell you that Bettman, Babs or Holland are or are not "idiots" if that's what you want to say in a thread that's actually relevant to that point. We should be getting involved when people turn on each other and forget they're here to discuss hockey and the Wings.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The thing that was getting particularly old to me was consistent belittling by self-proclaimed experts. Not in your face enough for mods to get involved (and sometimes even mock-warning people that they're violating forum rules!), but just enough to be unfriendly and annoying.

Of course, it was mainly one poster. (Why do I think we're referring to the same person?) I put him on ignore, and things have been a bit better. People still get baited into responding sometimes, though, and it's annoying to see the quotes.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I'm still here, but barely. The negativity lead by certain obnoxious people here drove me to find another place. Unfortunately the quality of posters and moderator accountability drops considerably beyond HFboards. I have people on ignore, and it looks like some people have stopped coming here as well. There's not another board I'd come to to talk hockey. Frankly, I never really have much to say since most people say it before I do either.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
We do have a formal process for getting your feedback and complaints. Let's not attack specific people openly, please, because many of you are actually saying that's what drives you away, so you then resort to doing the same thing?

Email us: [email protected] or [email protected]. You can PM or email me directly as well: [email protected]

Everyone on the moderator staff is a volunteer. Every single person. I doubt that most members would really want to put up with some of the things we see and need to do. It's truly a thankless job, but I guess you only have my word for it.

Anyone interested in helping can send an application: [email protected]

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
We do have a formal process for getting your feedback and complaints. Let's not attack specific people openly, please, because many of you are actually saying that's what drives you away, so you then resort to doing the same thing?

Email us: [email protected] or [email protected]. You can PM or email me directly as well: [email protected]

Everyone on the moderator staff is a volunteer. Every single person. I doubt that most members would really want to put up with some of the things we see and need to do. It's truly a thankless job, but I guess you only have my word for it.

Anyone interested in helping can send an application: [email protected]

Just to clarify, I wasn't attacking any moderator from HFboards. It was on another site. I was actually applauding the good work you guys do here by comparing to poorly run places elsewhere.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Just to clarify, I wasn't attacking any moderator from HFboards. It was on another site. I was actually applauding the good work you guys do here by comparing to poorly run places elsewhere.

I know. We remove stuff that quotes a post that needed editing or deletions. I appreciate the explanation though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad