Where does your kid play

LilWinger11

Aug 27, 2006
Connecticut
In my experience, it's not uncommon for 4- and 5-year-olds to be perfectly comfortable on the ice with a parent or older sibling yet be very hesitant to leave mom or dad to join a class, especially if he/she doesn't know any of the other kids. Sometimes something as simple as getting to the rink a bit early and finding one classmate you can introduce your child to helps.

4Hockey4

Jul 27, 2005
Virginia
www.putcanceronice.org
So the son's squirt team finally put it all together...they have struggled this year, and having 5 mites on the team hasn't helped. But they worked real hard the last 2 weeks and they look great passing, defence, and skating hard into the corners.
They won 4 straight this past weekend, (beating a team twice that they lost to on home ice awhile back)

My 6 YO is finally there speed and knowledgewise - he hasn't scored this year in travel, but potted 3 this weekend, including a beautiful break away top shelf, that earned him Player of the game honors (along with his backchecking) He's really getting the triangle and time/space that the coach has been pushing...he's getting to the open ice, and going to where the puck is "going". He's not afraid, in fact had 4 PIM's for his aggressiveness :shakehead

So proud of him and his teamamtes.......

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
well it's tournament time... any of you guys have kids in tournaments?
my two boys both play timbits (6 &under) here in winnipeg. they have two upcoming tournaments. one run by our community club and one sponsored by Sobey's that plays out in a couple of rinks . they both had great years.
our 4 year old boy ( started the season at 3 yrs. old) scored three goals in his first season. one was at the MTS center during the intermission of the Moose game in front of 7000 odd people. we are so proud of him.he had a great first year and is skating very well for his age.and his enthusiasm is refreshing.
our six year old boy ended the season with 48 goals. he missed two games due to illness or would've had 50. he is progressing excellent and has good smarts to go with his skills. i couldnt be prouder. moving from the states i was worried he'd be behind the other boys,( kind of like a little fish in a bigger pond) but that wasn't the case. he actually thrives on living in a place where everybody loves hockey.he has realkly taken to the game here .and has told me he wants to "dominate" inthe tournaments. i dont know what to think about that , but it should be fun to watch. he's actually focused on it. i never thought that would happen at such a young age.

so how are our other little superstars out there doing ?

Last edited:

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
My son's team ended up finishing in 3rd and just started their playoffs. The series are first to 8 points. They won their first game and lost their second. Their next game is tomorrow night.
At this point my son won't be playing spring tournaments. He wants to play roller hockey and will play some 3 on 3.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Don't hurry away your kid's childhood wanting them to be bigger, stronger, faster. There's no rush!

Great thread, just stumbled onto it.

It's a cliche, but javorka is right, enjoy every minute of it and every experience -- the good ones and the not so good ones -- because it flies by so fast it will make your head spin when you look back on it.

I know. I have two sons. I can't believe where the time has gone.

My 21-year-old is fortunate enough to be playing NCAA Division 1 ECAC hockey on a scholarship at St. Lawrence University in Canton, NY. He is just finishing up his sophomore season and it seems like yesterday that I had him out a pond learning how to skate and him complaining how cold his feet were and me saying, Just a little longer. LOL. He's overcome huge odds to get as far as he has and there are many who saw him play minor hockey and still now wonder how he's managed to continuing playing at such a high level. Having a passion for the game will do that. It's great for me too because the only way I was going to get to Harvard or Yale or Princeton or Cornell or Colgate was to go watch him play and it's quite an honor to do that every weekend now.

My 18-year-old son was unfortunate enough that at the age of 14 he had to stop playing contact sports like hockey and lacrosse because of medical complications as a result of concussions. Having the things he loved most -- hockey in the winter; lacrosse in the summer -- taken away from him was not easy for him to deal with. He did, however, return to playing the game last season in our local Midget-Juvenile House League, thanks to a decision to make all House League non-contact. He has been able to at least play on a team last season and this season, although it's not quite the same as he would like it be. This will be his last season of organized hockey as he's heading off to school in the fall.

Because of my experiences, good and bad, I can't tell you how important it is to cherish every moment, every practice, every game. It all ends too soon even for those who are able to play right through their entire minor hockey lives. But I can't tell you how many kids there are like my younger son who, for one reason or another, are forced to leave the game prematurely.

I can tell you my older boy, having seen what his brother has been through, understands it's a gift to still be playing. He has his younger brother's initials written on every one of his sticks.

So not to sound like too much of an old man, but take none of it for granted and enjoy it all. You never know when it's going to be over. Like many hockey dads, I had a tendency to get a little worked up when things didn't go so well from a performance point of view, and there are times when I still do, I guess. But there isn't a game or practice now with my sons where the first question I ask them afterwards is, You healthy? Everything is good? Because in the big picture, knowing they're well enough to go out to the next game and try again is the greatest gift of all.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Excellent post, thank you.
Right now I am trying to find a team for next year for my son. Tryouts are only in April, but most teams are already pretty full and I'm really starting to stress over this.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Excellent post, thank you.
Right now I am trying to find a team for next year for my son. Tryouts are only in April, but most teams are already pretty full and I'm really starting to stress over this.

Will he not tryout for the same team? (Atom Minor on to Atom Major)

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
We are not happy with the coaching so we are not going back to the team.

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck for the tryouts and finding another team. It must be difficult to find options at that level.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Sorry to hear that. Best of luck for the tryouts and finding another team. It must be difficult to find options at that level.

Thanks, we found a new home.
Actually that is one of the benefits of living in the GTA is that there are 12 AAA organisations to pick from. The problem is that by the time the tryouts roll around all the better teams are already picked. So if you wait until then you most likely won't find a team.

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
Great thread, just stumbled onto it.

It's a cliche, but javorka is right, enjoy every minute of it and every experience -- the good ones and the not so good ones -- because it flies by so fast it will make your head spin when you look back on it.

I know. I have two sons. I can't believe where the time has gone.

My 21-year-old is fortunate enough to be playing NCAA Division 1 ECAC hockey on a scholarship at St. Lawrence University in Canton, NY. He is just finishing up his sophomore season and it seems like yesterday that I had him out a pond learning how to skate and him complaining how cold his feet were and me saying, Just a little longer. LOL. He's overcome huge odds to get as far as he has and there are many who saw him play minor hockey and still now wonder how he's managed to continuing playing at such a high level. Having a passion for the game will do that. It's great for me too because the only way I was going to get to Harvard or Yale or Princeton or Cornell or Colgate was to go watch him play and it's quite an honor to do that every weekend now.

My 18-year-old son was unfortunate enough that at the age of 14 he had to stop playing contact sports like hockey and lacrosse because of medical complications as a result of concussions. Having the things he loved most -- hockey in the winter; lacrosse in the summer -- taken away from him was not easy for him to deal with. He did, however, return to playing the game last season in our local Midget-Juvenile House League, thanks to a decision to make all House League non-contact. He has been able to at least play on a team last season and this season, although it's not quite the same as he would like it be. This will be his last season of organized hockey as he's heading off to school in the fall.

Because of my experiences, good and bad, I can't tell you how important it is to cherish every moment, every practice, every game. It all ends too soon even for those who are able to play right through their entire minor hockey lives. But I can't tell you how many kids there are like my younger son who, for one reason or another, are forced to leave the game prematurely.

I can tell you my older boy, having seen what his brother has been through, understands it's a gift to still be playing. He has his younger brother's initials written on every one of his sticks.

So not to sound like too much of an old man, but take none of it for granted and enjoy it all. You never know when it's going to be over. Like many hockey dads, I had a tendency to get a little worked up when things didn't go so well from a performance point of view, and there are times when I still do, I guess. But there isn't a game or practice now with my sons where the first question I ask them afterwards is, You healthy? Everything is good? Because in the big picture, knowing they're well enough to go out to the next game and try again is the greatest gift of all.

It wasn't so long ago that we registered our son (who is turning 18 this fall) for beginner hockey. This weekend he played his last minor hockey game - and I stood by the boards and cried. No, he didn't make it to the NHL, but watching him improve his skills each season has been a thrill and has made us so proud!
Thank goodness his younger brother is only nine, so we'll be around the rink for a little while yet, though....

4Hockey4

Jul 27, 2005
Virginia
www.putcanceronice.org
bump...
Seems like its been forever, but tomorrow night starts the 7 YO's Squirt Travel practice...and the 4 YO starts rookie league next friday night.....and we go until march !! whoo hooo

least I have CAPS season tixs to even all things hockey out !!!

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
My oldest son is 5-and-a-half and will be starting his second year in Timbit hockey.
He did really well last year. He didn't score a goal but he never complained and enjoyed learning how to skate and making new friends.

But now that he's a year older he's getting more anxious to start hockey and is determined to score a goal.

I can't wait to watch him play. And my 2-year old son, I can tell already, is going to be playing sooner rather than later.

It's going to be a blast watching them play hockey, or any other sport, for the next few years.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
My Youngest continues with his Hamburg Hawks(NY) as a Bantam Major. HEavy practice schedule with thier first games of the season coming this weekend. Just Scrimmages. This season as State Bound, are scheduled to play each of our regions AAA. Top four of that record play a seeding round for entry into states. No more play-downs, I guess?

It should be an interesting year With Chris Panek assisting.

_DSF6874.jpg

_DSF6901.jpg

By the way, The mask is going to be available. HE has worn it from Pee Wee Minor through this early season Bantam major. Will fit up to a 17.5 CM distance between temples and about the same for top of head to tip of chin. Its a Stacey Jr Pro Custom CF. The entire mask is under 2lbs and includes the Full maltese SPS 2 gel system.

DSC_0374.jpg

Will prob go for just shipping to the right home since I got it for nothing myself(Marc Wells: East Coast hockey). The mask is NOT certified because of the Gel interior.
You can order a replacement foam kit from Stacey Composites. At the AAA level from 11-13yrs of age he has had many a dinger to the noggin but never a problem, with a few coming from his Coaches. lol

I will post a few pics of his new Stacey Mach 10h with its custom skin, in a few day.

Last edited:

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Well, I don't have kids, but my friend's son, who just turned 6 in July is playing, again, on the 10 and under "travel" team.

He lead the team in goals, point and penalty minutes last year and is one of the quickest skaters in the league. He's slightly upset that he can't move up with the rest of the guys and the fact that he can't wear a letter. But he'll live.

4Hockey4

Jul 27, 2005
Virginia
www.putcanceronice.org
My 7 YO starting playing with the A league squirt travel team @ 6, and had a few goals, but more importantly, really learned the game of hockey...position, team play....he returened this year as the top line LW, and really is excelling after summer of camps and slating.

the just turned 4 YO is playing rookies and having a blast....5/6 days a week at the rink is tough...but worth watching them have a blast.... :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad