Speculation: Where does Tyler Myers get traded to after his bonus gets paid this week? Previous rumor was San Jose.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Firstly, there is some mixed reporting on when Myers is owed his 5mil bonus. Some are saying Sept 1, others are saying Sept 15th.

Either way its close, and its within the next couple of weeks.

Myers is owed a 5mil bonus, once that paid, he will still carry a 6mil AAV but will only be making 1mil in real money.

This of course can be ideal to a couple of teams:

1. Bottom feeding teams that want to spend only to the floor of the CAP

2. Teams that want to buy Myers for cheap now, knowing they can flip him for a 3rd or even a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline.

I suspect he gets traded soon for a 4th round return. The rumor that came out in the summer was it was to San Jose for Lebanc but that just makes no sense for Vancouver who is flushed with wingers. Also the Canucks need and want the cap space. I guess technically the Canucks would free up 1.25 mil in this 1 for 1 trade, i just think they are better off unloading Myers for a late pick if they can and maybe retain a bit but free up closer to 4-5 mil in cap space.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Myers ain't bringing back positive value regardless of how much money he is owed.

Every team is already above the cap floor and only 2 teams are within $10 million of the cap floor. There are only 4 teams who even have the cap space to bring on Myers' $6 million AAV. No one is trading positive value for Myers, if Vancouver wants to move him they're paying to move him.

Jeff Petry brought back pretty much only a 4th and the Penguins and Habs were retaining him down to $2.3 million AAV. Why would any team trade a 4th for Myers at $6 million AAV?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I don't feel Myers will get dealt for a few reasons:
-Nobody is shy of the cap floor, that argument does not work
-If someone is taking on a bad deal, they will get a solid return to do so. I don't think the Canucks are at a point that they can give up futures to move a year of Myers.
-I think Myers has been over used his entire career, never once averaging less that 20 mins a game. The Canucks have more depth on D this year than they have had in a long time (that is not saying much). Myers could be much more effective playing 17-18 mins a game avoiding teams top lines.
-Even with added depth, the Canucks need him.

Hughes-Cole
Hronek-Soucy
These guys will get the lions share of minutes, with a mixed bag of Irwin, Rathbone, Myers, Brisebois, Wolanin and potentially Johansson, Hirose picking up the rest. Myers is the only one capable o playing big minutes in the event of an injury.

I'd much rather hang onto Myers, see how things play out with some of our younger guys, and potentially deal him later in the year if there is a positive return to be had.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I don't feel Myers will get dealt for a few reasons:
-Nobody is shy of the cap floor, that argument does not work
-If someone is taking on a bad deal, they will get a solid return to do so. I don't think the Canucks are at a point that they can give up futures to move a year of Myers.
-I think Myers has been over used his entire career, never once averaging less that 20 mins a game. The Canucks have more depth on D this year than they have had in a long time (that is not saying much). Myers could be much more effective playing 17-18 mins a game avoiding teams top lines.
-Even with added depth, the Canucks need him.

Hughes-Cole
Hronek-Soucy
These guys will get the lions share of minutes, with a mixed bag of Irwin, Rathbone, Myers, Brisebois, Wolanin and potentially Johansson, Hirose picking up the rest. Myers is the only one capable o playing big minutes in the event of an injury.

I'd much rather hang onto Myers, see how things play out with some of our younger guys, and potentially deal him later in the year if there is a positive return to be had.

How do you propose the Canucks get under the cap with Pearson back skating and only Poolman being a candidate for LTIR?

Myers is as good as gone imo.

Reactions: canuckfaithful

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Myers ain't bringing back positive value regardless of how much money he is owed.

Every team is already above the cap floor and only 2 teams are within $10 million of the cap floor. There are only 4 teams who even have the cap space to bring on Myers' $6 million AAV. No one is trading positive value for Myers, if Vancouver wants to move him they're paying to move him.

Jeff Petry brought back pretty much only a 4th and the Penguins and Habs were retaining him down to $2.3 million AAV. Why would any team trade a 4th for Myers at $6 million AAV?
Canucks would obviously have to retain. Likely half if they want to move him for anything close to free. The question for me is: Is it really worth it to trade away Myers? To me he seems like he could be a perfectly serviceable, if not above average 3rd pairing guy. I'm just not sure there are any easy ways to replace the hole he'd fill.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Depends what you see as a positive value.

Even Seravalli's reported trade on the table of Myers for Lebanc which would see the Canucks openning up 1.25 mil is something i consider positive value.

I think the Canucks will retain 1-2 mil and get a 4th for Myers. A team will see value in this by knowing that Myers can get a 3rd round return maybe even a 2nd at the deadline.

Right Shot , big Dman, that can skate.. Real GMs love these players. For some reason, they are the unicorns of the NHL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Myers hold some trade protection as well.
Unless the Canucks are going to use up any freed up cap space not sure they make a move.

Myers holds a 10 team no trade list. Could put down all 10 teams that have the cap room to take him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The owner just wrote a huge cheque to clear out one of Benning’s mistakes (OEL) and now he’s going to pay Myers a 5 mil bonus then allow a trade. Nope. Not happening.

Reactions: VaporTrail and YP44

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The owner just wrote a huge cheque to clear out one of Benning’s mistakes (OEL) and now he’s going to pay Myers a 5 mil bonus then allow a trade. Nope. Not happening.
Owner gave JB his blessing to make those bad moves in 2021. Coaching staff had no contracts that summer yet he retained them all so paid them for an extra 1.7 seasons worth of salary not to mention Bruce as well.

Could have walked away from them all and just paid Benning his 2 years which he ended up doing anyways.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Firstly, there is some mixed reporting on when Myers is owed his 5mil bonus. Some are saying Sept 1, others are saying Sept 15th.

Either way its close, and its within the next couple of weeks.

Myers is owed a 5mil bonus, once that paid, he will still carry a 6mil AAV but will only be making 1mil in real money.

This of course can be ideal to a couple of teams:

1. Bottom feeding teams that want to spend only to the floor of the CAP

2. Teams that want to buy Myers for cheap now, knowing they can flip him for a 3rd or even a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline.

I suspect he gets traded soon for a 4th round return. The rumor that came out in the summer was it was to San Jose for Lebanc but that just makes no sense for Vancouver who is flushed with wingers. Also the Canucks need and want the cap space. I guess technically the Canucks would free up 1.25 mil in this 1 for 1 trade, i just think they are better off unloading Myers for a late pick if they can and maybe retain a bit but free up closer to 4-5 mil in cap space.

1. Every team in the league is safely over the cap floor.

2. Some team will take Myers for free, hoping to maybe flip him at the deadline. I wouldn't expect a team to pay for that privilege.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
How do you propose the Canucks get under the cap with Pearson back skating and only Poolman being a candidate for LTIR?

There is a big gap between skating and playing NHL games. I'd be willing to bet Pearson starts the year on LTIR. Or he is waived and the Canucks run a smaller roster. Or they have other players to deal.

They have many options aside from dealing Myers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Pearson’s injury was a wrist so him skating isn’t a shock. Whether he can stick handle, shoot, survive a slash and etc. is the question at this point and what pain level he feels afterwards.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
There is a big gap between skating and playing NHL games. I'd be willing to bet Pearson starts the year on LTIR. Or he is waived and the Canucks run a smaller roster. Or they have other players to deal.

They have many options aside from dealing Myers.

-Pearson's AAV will still count against the cap even if he is waived to the minors.

-Regardless whether Pearson starts the year at LTIR or not, its clear he is getting healthier. He is not going to miss the entire season, the Canucks need to open up for his 3.2mil AAV.

-Other players to deal? like who? Everyone has term on their contract, (Boeser, Garland etc)
Myers is very clearly the easiest option to gain cap space.

Myers hold some trade protection as well.
Unless the Canucks are going to use up any freed up cap space not sure they make a move.

Myers holds a 10 team no trade list. Could put down all 10 teams that have the cap room to take him.

I could be wrong but i dont think thats how NTCs work.

The list of 10 teams he is unwilling to get traded to must be submitted as part of the contract that was signed. So his 10 team list was submitted when he signed that contract 5 years ago. I dont think he gets to change his NTC list every year.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I think it makes more sense to trade Tanner Pearson if all they are doing is trying to get under the cap. Maybe a 2024 3rd and tanner to a team with cap space? I think they could also look at trading for a upgrade in either Pearson or myers that comes with cap savings. Connor murphy for 2nd and 3rd pearson and Myers. that allows them to get under the cap before the season and put poolman in inseason LTIR and accumulate cap space. if you are trying for a playoff spot it makes life much easier to do in season LTIR

Reactions: Naych_PHX

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Does it even matter at this point? If Vancouver has already paid the real $$$ and the Cap for Myers, I mean, he is vastly overpaid and sucks, but it's not like they are rocking an all-star defense corps anyway? Plug him in, he's as good as anything else the Canucks have. Then, depending how things go, maybe the TDL brings a "new perspective"??? Right now, it's already "wait it out".
:dunno:

Reactions: HabzSauce

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I don't see it happening, the Canucks will probably move Pearson to the AHL to fix their salary cap problems.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
-Pearson's AAV will still count against the cap even if he is waived to the minors.

-Regardless whether Pearson starts the year at LTIR or not, its clear he is getting healthier. He is not going to miss the entire season, the Canucks need to open up for his 3.2mil AAV.

-Other players to deal? like who? Everyone has term on their contract, (Boeser, Garland etc)
Myers is very clearly the easiest option to gain cap space.

I could be wrong but i dont think thats how NTCs work.

The list of 10 teams he is unwilling to get traded to must be submitted as part of the contract that was signed. So his 10 team list was submitted when he signed that contract 5 years ago. I dont think he gets to change his NTC list every year.
Is that what happened with Dandanov and LV/Anaheim trade? And I believe NTC lists would be a yearly thing, not just at the beginning of the contract. Not hard for Myers to figure out who would be using their cap room up and who would likely have cap room by the time he needed to submit his list for 23-24 year.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

Canucks can get under the cap without making any trades if they go with a 22 man roster.

Per Capfriendly:

Cap Hit: $83,309,167
Cap available: $190,833

Kuzmenko Pettersson Mikheyev
Beauvillier Miller Boeser
Joshua Suter Garland
Di Giuseppe Blueger Hoglander

Hughes Cole
Soucy Hronek
Wolanin Myers

Demko
Martin

Extras: Rathbone, Irwin
LTIR: Poolman

Pearson's 2.1M for being in the AHL is included in this.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The required teams needs to have some cap space and an interest in either acquiring Myers to flip him at the deadline or a desire to upgrade a right side. Given these two requirements I have the Coyotes, Blackhawks, Canadiens, Flyers, and Sharks as interested teams that could use him as an asset at the TDL. The Penguins and Predators could be interested in upgrading their 3rd pairing. What a return or swap would look like, I have no idea.

Personally, a Rutta for Myers trade makes sense for both teams. There may need to be some minor assets changing sides to but the core of the trade would be these two. Rutta makes the most sense as a right-side 3rd pair veteran for the Canucks. Sharks get someone they can flip at the deadline and clear out Rutta's salary/cap hit for next season. The problem here is Myers is really only a viable TDL candidate at 50% retained and the Sharks have already used two of their retention slots.

Speaking of retention slots, that's the biggest factor in all of this. If the Canucks are willing to retain on Myers right now it alters his value quite significantly. They've shown little indication they are willing to retain for an entire season, though.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I would trade Simek for Myers, maybe even throw in a late pick.

Our best RD currently is Jan Rutta (who may not even be healthy) so the idea would be to give Myers huge minutes in all situations and try to recoup a 3rd at the deadline with 50% of his cap hit retained.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The required teams needs to have some cap space and an interest in either acquiring Myers to flip him at the deadline or a desire to upgrade a right side. Given these two requirements I have the Coyotes, Blackhawks, Canadiens, Flyers, and Sharks as interested teams that could use him as an asset at the TDL. The Penguins and Predators could be interested in upgrading their 3rd pairing. What a return or swap would look like, I have no idea.

Personally, a Rutta for Myers trade makes sense for both teams. There may need to be some minor assets changing sides to but the core of the trade would be these two. Rutta makes the most sense as a right-side 3rd pair veteran for the Canucks. Sharks get someone they can flip at the deadline and clear out Rutta's salary/cap hit for next season. The problem here is Myers is really only a viable TDL candidate at 50% retained and the Sharks have already used two of their retention slots.

Speaking of retention slots, that's the biggest factor in all of this. If the Canucks are willing to retain on Myers right now it alters his value quite significantly. They've shown little indication they are willing to retain for an entire season, though.
JR & PA also recognizes the lack of prospects in the Canucks system. Signed a few NCAA free agents, but knows that the 2020's have been light on picks for the Canucks. 2020, 1st and 2nd traded. 2021 1st and 3rd traded. 2022 2nd traded. 2023, 2nd traded. 2024 2nd traded.

He's got Myers, Beauv, Blueger, Cole as free agents in 2024. This is a team that needs to make the PO, so will be interesting to see what they opt to do when the TDL comes and if they are in the thick of things.

Myers holds a 10 team NTC. Think he would have figured out that those were the teams who would have cap room.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I would trade Simek for Myers, maybe even throw in a late pick.

Our best RD currently is Jan Rutta (who may not even be healthy) so the idea would be to give Myers huge minutes in all situations and try to recoup a 3rd at the deadline with 50% of his cap hit retained.

I'd pretty with a Myers for Simek & 6th/7th trade. I figured Rutta would be more appealing for the Sharks given he has an extra year on his contract and a higher caphit.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Labanc makes no sense financially

Paying $10.9 million for $1.275 in cap space is beyond stupid. An owner would have to be insane to agree to that.

but Aquilini has shown to be that stupid quite often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad