Speculation: Where does Holtby go?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Edmonton can’t afford him, they aren’t paying Koskinen 4.5 the next 2 years to back up Holtby. Colorado has much cheaper/better options in both Grubauer and Francouz. So I don’t see the logic there.

To me Buffalo makes sense, though I don’t know how much money they want to throw at him with a Dahlin contract on the horizon.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Calgary.

I was about to say Buffalo, but I can't see JB handing out a contract like that right now. Maybe Detroit...

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I really hope that not Buffalo, but we have an idiot GM, so everything can be expected. Ullmark had a solid season, Hutton fell off a cliff with his problems and can no longer be considered a reliable guy, and we can’t risk entering the season again with Ullmark and Hutton, we need a partner for Ullmark, but this is definitely not Holtby, he will ask money and term, as well as starting goalie place.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Teams needing a goalie : SJS, BUF, CAR, DET, MIN, LAK, OTT, NJD, CHI, EDM.

All will depend on terms and cap required to sign him:
- SJS is unlikely given their cap issues, same goes with EDM
- CAR makes sense if they manage to get rid of one of their current goalies
- BUF also makes sense in my opinion and they have the opportunity to completely reshape their team this year
- DET, LAK, NJD and OTT are rebuilding, but they have the cap space to sign Holtby and in two/three years no reason to think he won't be a good goalie by the time they contend
- If MIN and CHI want to contend he may be one of the missing pieces but most likely it would be one more contract which will be quite bad long term in addition to allof the other bad contracts of those teams

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
To EDM:
Tierney
Nilsson
Holtby - via UFA

to OTT:
Russell
Koskinen
1st

Basically Russell and a 1st for Tierney, and a goalie swap. Edmonton takes on roughly 4.500 in cap space (assuming 3.500 for Tierney, 7.500 for Holtby) but get significantly better overall. Nilsson and Holtby can be one of the best duos in the league. Ottawa nets a 1st and an upgrade in goal for the next 2 years.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
To EDM:
Tierney
Nilsson
Holtby - via UFA

to OTT:
Russell
Koskinen
1st

Basically Russell and a 1st for Tierney, and a goalie swap. Edmonton takes on roughly 4.500 in cap space (assuming 3.500 for Tierney, 7.500 for Holtby) but get significantly better overall. Nilsson and Holtby can be one of the best duos in the league. Ottawa nets a 1st and an upgrade in goal for the next 2 years.
Good offer but 7.5 million for Hoaltby in this market won’t happen at the very top end id say 6 million

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Ottawa or Detroit makes the most sense, they are building great young teams and will have high picks in the draft. Both need goaltending

The other teams mostly seem to be in a cap crunch or already have serviceable goalies. If Holtby is willing to take a smaller contracts, then I could see him go somewhere else like SJ, EDM, BUF or CGY

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I don’t think anyone’s gonna give him the contract he’s looking for. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him take the same contract as Simmonds did last year looking to rebound and get a big contract next year. 1 year, lots of money to a bad team that looks to flip him at the deadline.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think he’s in a tough spot. Teams are getting wise to the risk of signing a goalie to long-term, big buck contracts. Furthermore, if he wants to go to a team that is competitive, he's going to bump up against 1) those teams already have a goalie and/0r 2) those teams don't have the capspace.

It might be where there's $$$, years and going to a competitive team. He can only pick two.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Calgary.

I was about to say Buffalo, but I can't see JB handing out a contract like that right now. Maybe Detroit...

Flames will go after Hall IMO. Then they will have little cap space left and have guys to sign on D too. Only way Holtby goes to the Flames is if they loose out on Hall or Holtby signs a very low team friendly deal.

If no cap space issues, Holtby does fit the Flames needs

Reactions: BHD

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I don’t think anyone’s gonna give him the contract he’s looking for. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him take the same contract as Simmonds did last year looking to rebound and get a big contract next year. 1 year, lots of money to a bad team that looks to flip him at the deadline.

cant prove himself on a one year deal with a bad team. I think if he takes a one year deal it’s to try to win another cup. If he goes to a bottom feeder then I’d expect it to be for term.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Flames will go after Hall IMO. Then they will have little cap space left and have guys to sign on D too. Only way Holtby goes to the Flames is if they loose out on Hall or Holtby signs a very low team friendly deal.

If no cap space issues, Holtby does fit the Flames needs

Not to get off topic, but is Hall/Calgary seriously happening? I've heard people talk about it, but it sounded speculative at that point. Because yes, Holtby signing in Calgary would hinge on that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not to get off topic, but is Hall/Calgary seriously happening? I've heard people talk about it, but it sounded speculative at that point. Because yes, Holtby signing in Calgary would hinge on that.

Flames went after him hard at the deadline. Hall is from Calgary and the Flames can use some offense. I think it's a real possibility and might be the next Tavares going home story

Reactions: Bluesguru and BHD

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I wouldn't bet on Carolina making a move for a goalie unless it's a younger guy like Georgiev. Holtby's in a rough position in that he's 30, coming off a bad year, has been trending down the past few years, and there aren't a ton of teams in the market for taking a chance that he rebounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad