Where do you rank Crosby all time?

Where do you rank Crosby all time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Where do you rank Sidney Crosby all time? Given that the top 4 is basically unanimous, does Crosby round out the top 5? If not, does he make your top 10, top 15, or top 20? I have him as a borderline top 10, just sneaking in. I also think he's the best player of his generation.

I imagine there will be a variety of opinions here because for a career significantly affected by injuries, his has been unusual from most. Normally we see said player's peak but miss out on what longevity they could've had. Crosby is the opposite, as I believe we didn't see what his very best was from 2010-2013, but he's still been able to overcome those injuries with longevity in spite of it.

What range do you rank Crosby all time?

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I rank him very highly.
Peak Crosby was an absolute force, and played the game the way it's meant to be played.

1. Gretzky
2. Orr
3. Mario
4. Howe
5. Sidney?

Also, what's with all this Hasek worship? I've noticed a ton of revisionist history regarding him.
Don't get me wrong, his peak with Buffalo was simply mind-blowing, and he was a treat to watch... but for me he's not Marty or Patrick.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
#4. What Howe did playing against farmers who couldn't skate or raise the puck doesn't really matter

If your only argument is against the year on his birth certificate, then you don't have a real argument.

Professional hockey was 50 years old when Howe joined the NHL.

The era of "weak farm boys" ended 15 years before Howe was born.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
#4. What Howe did playing against farmers who couldn't skate or raise the puck doesn't really matter

He was 3rd in the league in scoring at 40 years old at the same time Orr was winning his 2nd Norris, and still put up 40 points at age 51 in Gretzky’s rookie year. The game and league was firmly established when he was a superstar. Take his top 5 finishes in a six team league with a grain of salt because there’s fewer players getting top line opportunities, sure, but he isn’t exactly Newsy Lalonde here.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
If your only argument is against the year on his birth certificate, then you don't have a real argument.

Professional hockey was 50 years old when Howe joined the NHL.

The era of "weak farm boys" ended 15 years before Howe was born.
It took 50 years for professional baseball, a sport much more widely played, before they realized it was advantageous to hit the ball both hard and in the air.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
No, it's about putting in context players who played while the sport was still developing.

Ignoring 50% of professional hockey history isn't "context". It's just plain ignorance.

Babe Ruth was born roughly 20 years after the first pro baseball league. Gordie Howe was born roughly 20 years after the first pro hockey league.

Gordie Howe retired 75 years after the first pro hockey league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pantokrator

LDX

Jan 13, 2014
Iles de la Madeleine
Like I always say, he's in that 5-15 range with Bobby Hull, OV, Beliveau, Jagr, Richard, Lafleur, Bourque, Harvey, Hasek, Roy. It just depends on what you value the most (peak, prime, etc).

Anyone who thinks Crosby is higher than 5th should be banned from HF.

Allow me to explain my like to your comment for newcomers.

I really appreciate the nuance in the first part of your post, in which you rank a lot of great players, but not taking a stance as to what order to put them because at this point it depends on the arbitrary value the judge (or the reader) gives to different factors of success.

You're so right when you say someone who values peak won't have the same order as someone who values career, for instance. Or regular season awards vs playoffs success. Thank you for the nuances and the intellectual honesty, and newcomers should take that as a lesson.

But then, your second statement is so drastic, so harsh, so arbitrary and yet so true that I exploded laughing, waking up my Bernese puppy.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad