OT: where do you play hockey?

ihockey4

Nov 26, 2013
just bought equipment and I've been practising my skating. really excited to start playing pick up. do you guys play in leagues or play shinny? i'm wondering where's good for me to learn and hopefully play with other beginners. i couldn't find anything on google, so i'm assuming there's no hockey school for adults around ndg?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
just bought equipment and I've been practising my skating. really excited to start playing pick up. do you guys play in leagues or play shinny? i'm wondering where's good for me to learn and hopefully play with other beginners. i couldn't find anything on google, so i'm assuming there's no hockey school for adults around ndg?

My guess is you never really skated before ? Then just wait for ice outside, it will be painful for you inside.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
I don't know about Montreal, but you should ask around work, friends, facebook and twitter, if anyone knbows any pick-up games that could use a beginner. My local rink has 2 hours a week that is open for anyone to come out. You probably should start at outdoor ponds and rinks as it usually is much more casual.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Go find an outside hockey rink near where you live, a pretty sure they are some good ones at ndg. It is also the most affordable option.

Philanthropist

Nov 27, 2007
Shinny:

-4glaces in either Brossard or Pierrefonds. Night sessions can get pretty competitive with full bench games however if you choose an afternoon or morning session they are typically more laid back.

- Excellent Ice in Kirkland has a nice 3 on 3 rink that offers shinny.

-I've heard bonadventure has shinny, though I've never been.

Leagues
-DWHL is the main one around since MHL no longer exists. There are divisions for all skill levels which is why I usually call it the dusters welcome hockey league.

-Intermurals are a great option if you attend a university. They usually have a recreational division.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Isn't there a novice league in your area for new players? Also try some public skating for a bit, hit the outdoor rinks etc...

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
Make sure your skates are custom fitted to your ankle. I went back to skating after almost eight years of not being on the ice and I made the mistake of wearing brand new skates. The wife looked at me and asked, "You SURE you played hockey for ten years?"

hockey is definitely not like riding a bike! I took only 2 years off after Junior and it took me a solid whole year to reaaally get back into it

I went from playing 5 times per week to not playing at all to playing once a week. I felt like every game I had to start over shaking off the rust.

OP I suggest just waiting another month and hit the ice outside as often as you can. then when you feel comfortable go play shinny. Most arenas have at least one slot per week where you can play.
In the west island Pierrefonds 4 glace has the most available ice.
When you get better you should definitely join a league. I play in the DWHL on sundays and its great. Just reaaaaaaaaaaally expensive. As a student I spend most of my savings on gear/fees. But they do have like 10 divisions with different calibers and you can sign up as a free agent or just ask to join someone's team http://dwhl.net/

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
I would start with some public skating, get a feel for the ice skating, stopping, turning etc. (just your skates and a helmet no stick or equipment). I would then hit the outdoor rinks as there are usually a bunch of people at all skill levels there, a lot of people skate for the first time there as well. Try to go to the outdoor rinks when nobody is there scope it out a bit see when people are usually there and when they leave. You can work on your skating shinny style then go to the full equipment later on.

I have played hockey for 9 years now and I started in a power skating program (about 6-8 months) that really helps with your skating, ideally you would want to do that before you actually start hockey but it will cost you money, time and may not be all that worth depending on what you wanna do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad