Where do the 2019 Lightning rank among the great teams of the cap era?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Tampa's cup run has ended early and shockingly, but they still had the best regular season of any cap team. In addition to just standings points, they were elite by most metrics.

Had they climbed the mountain and won the cup, they may well have been the clear-cut, unanimous best team of the cap era.

Where would you place them among the great teams of the cap era? You can consider any teams for comparison, no need to limit things to cup winners - it's more than possible to feel that a team who didn't win the cup in year X is better than a team that did win the cup in year Y, for example.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
From the regular season alone, they were up there with the '08 Wings for sure. If not better.

Postseason will bring them down considerably but still probably top 5.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
depends on how much weight you put on regular season success, obviously getting swept in round 1 brings them down drastically

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I do not agree with every cup winner were a better than team than a non Cup winner, for example the 92-93 Pens are often mentioned in greatest team of all time debate same for some Bruins team, etc..., but on the Pens many of those player won the cup the 2 season before and got out in a third round game 7 overtime.

If a team very similar to this one win the cups next year it could change this 18-19 fully subjective ranking people have, but right now it will be below the great Wings/Hawks team easily I would imagine and some others edition.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Tampa's cup run has ended early and shockingly, but they still had the best regular season of any cap team. In addition to just standings points, they were elite by most metrics.

Had they climbed the mountain and won the cup, they may well have been the clear-cut, unanimous best team of the cap era.

Where would you place them among the great teams of the cap era? You can consider any teams for comparison, no need to limit things to cup winners - it's more than possible to feel that a team who didn't win the cup in year X is better than a team that did win the cup in year Y, for example.

What’s the measuring stick we’re to use??? Regular season.. they’re the best.. playoffs wise maybe top 10??
Over the last 10 years every eventual Cup winner proved to be better than the TBL IMHO except for Wash and Bos but even then you could argue those teams were complete teams that had clutch players on top of their elite ones... TBL have zero clutch and they need changes on defense and more grit and physicality in their bottom lines.. they are the Shorks East! Yes, I said the Shorks

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
They were the most overrated a few weeks ago, and now will probably become the most underrated. Because it's like this here. But for all we know, they could win it all next year. They're a contender for sure. Hockey is a lot about circumstances. That's what makes it fun and unpredictable.

Reactions: I am not exposed

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Easily the best. The regular season is 82 games so you get a good idea of how good a team is. A four game series without the best D in the world being healthy doesn’t really show you how strong the team is.

Winning the cup is all luck anyways so you shouldn’t put much weight on it. The presidents’ trophy is easily the most difficult one to win in this sport and winning it by as much as we did is truly something special.

This team might just go down as the greatest NHL team of all time. Doubt we see anything like this ever again with all the parity in the league nowadays.

Reactions: I am not exposed

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I do not agree with every cup winner were a better than team than a non Cup winner,

No one is making that argument.

for example the 92-93 Pens are often mentioned in greatest team of all time debate same for some Bruins team, etc..., but on the Pens many of those player won the cup the 2 season before and got out in a third round game 7 overtime.

If those teams got swept in the first round no one would argue them as great.

Reactions: someguy44

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I do not agree with every cup winner were a better than team than a non Cup winner, for example the 92-93 Pens are often mentioned in greatest team of all time debate same for some Bruins team, etc..., but on the Pens many of those player won the cup the 2 season before and got out in a third round game 7 overtime.

If a team very similar to this one win the cups next year it could change this 18-19 fully subjective ranking people have, but right now it will be below the great Wings/Hawks team easily I would imagine and some others edition.
Definitely, but TB didn't win a single game and were outplayed for the majority of the series.

Reactions: someguy44

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
No one is making that argument.

Could be clearer not every cup winning team in the cap era are automatically team I would predict to win more cups if the playoff were magically played 100 time. I am not sure is there much by default here.

If people mean something else when they rank team, then it can obviously be automatic that the Hurricanes in 2006 (a team that would fail to make the playoff the next year with a very similar roster) were a greater team than the 18-19 Tampa Bay.

Could see picking all the others and some of the looser too.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
They're like the Harlem Globetrotters. When the basketball gets real things get confusing.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
Easily the best. The regular season is 82 games so you get a good idea of how good a team is. A four game series without the best D in the world being healthy doesn’t really show you how strong the team is.

Winning the cup is all luck anyways so you shouldn’t put much weight on it. The presidents’ trophy is easily the most difficult one to win in this sport and winning it by as much as we did is truly something special.

This team might just go down as the greatest NHL team of all time. Doubt we see anything like this ever again with all the parity in the league nowadays.

Even without the "best D-man" in the world, they still have loads of talent, including the current Art Ross winner. I don't think I ever remember an Art Ross winner getting swept in the first round.

Getting swept from in the first round to a team like Tampa is absolutely inexcusable. Unless CBJ goes and sweeps every other team in the playoffs and in commanding fashion, there's no way Tampa would look even decent here.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey

The playoffs are when teams specifically game plan against each other. That's when the cream rises to the top. Regular season, you're just another random name.

Reactions: WingsFan95

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2