+ 13

58th Overall (Leafs) - JESSE BLACKER - 72nd in the HFNHL
+14

3rd Round

83rd Overall (Canucks) - KEVIN CONNAUTON - 190th in the HFNHL
+107

6th Round

152nd Overall (Islanders) - ANDERS LEE - 199th in the '08 HFNHL

Happy so far. All players went in the range, with Rodin and Blacker, my third round picks in the second round.

Last edited:

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
35th - Kyle Clifford - 107th in HFNHL
36th - Chris Brown - 61st in HFNHL
39th - Jakob Silfverberg - 62nd in HFNHL
46th - Robin Lehner - 91st in HFNHL
50th - Kenny Ryan - 45th in HFNHL
64th - Tyson Barrie - 60st in HFNHL
72nd - Michael Latta - 83rd in HFNHL
79th - Mac Bennett - 80th in HFNHL
87th - Simon Bertilsson - 58thh in HFNHL
88th - Mattias Lindström - 97th in HFNHL
111th - Henrik Björklund - 77th in HFNHL
??? - John Henrion - 202nd in HFNHL

10 of my 12 guys in the top 3 rounds in the NHL draft. One in the 4th.

Last edited:

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Chicago

1st Round:

Hedman NHL: #2 HFNHL: #2 push

2nd Round:

Johansson NHL: #24 HFNHL: #38 +14

Tatar NHL: #60 HFNHL: #40 -20

Eakin: NHL #85 HFNHL: #46 -39

3rd Round:

Hoffman: NHL #130 HFNHL:81 -49

4th Round:

Samuelsson NHL #61 HFNHL #111 +50

Fournier NHL #90 HFNHL #119 +29

7th Round:

Petersaon NHL #? HFNHL #188

Last edited:

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Simon Despres
HFNHL: 21
NHL: 30

Anton Lander
HFNHL: 51
NHL: 40
+11

Igor Bobkov
HFNHL: 110
NHL: 76
+34

Tyler Randell
HFNHL: 171
NHL:176

Tyler Johnson
HFNHL: 201
NHL:????

Last edited:

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
1st round

Jacob Joesfson 20th NJD

2nd round

Landon Ferraro 32nd DET

3rd round

Ben Hanowski 63rd PIT
Joonas Nattinen 65th MTL

5th round

Kiran Millian 124th COL

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
An up and down draft for me:

Kyle Palmieri - 26th overall (28th in HFNHL) : +2

Philippe Paradis - 27th overall (41st in HFNHL) : + 14

William Wrenn - 43rd overall (78th in HFNHL) : +35

Mattias Ekholm - 102nd overall (135th in HFNHL - 2008) : +33

Jerry D'Amigo - 158th overall (73rd in HFNHL) : -85

Mitchell Callahan - 180th overall (195th in HFNHL) : +15

Kiril Gotovets - 183rd overall (197th in HFNHL) : +14

Beau Schmitz - Undrafted (173rd in HFNHL)

Brendan Rempel - Undrafted (178th in HFNHL)

Etienne St. Germain - Undrafted (208th in HFNHL)

Overall: I have mixed feelings. Paradis and Wrenn rising is nice, D'Amigo falling is disappointing and puzzling. I'm satisfied with my late picks except Rempel, I had him back to back on my list with a guy that went 3rd round. This was truly a bizarre draft for the NHL though. I have never seen as many older guys go. After the third round, 1991 was often the least common birth year, behind 1989 and 1990.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Matt Clark
HFNHL: 53
NHL: 37
Difference: +16

Taylor Doherty
HFNHL: 68
NHL: 57
Difference: +11

Kevin Lynch
HFNHL: 86
NHL: 56
Difference: +30

David Savard
HFNHL: 99
NHL: 94
Difference: +5

Darren Archibald
HFNHL: 103
NHL: -
Difference: ****

Casey Cizikas
HFNHL: 137
NHL: 92
Difference: +45

Patrick Wey
HFNHL: 148
NHL: 115
Difference: +33

Brandon Maxwell
HFNHL: 151
NHL: 154
Difference: -3

Nick Sorkin
HFNHL: 153

Adam Polasek
HFNHL: 164

Garrett Mitchell
HFNHL: 203
NHL: 175
Difference: +28

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Evander Kane
HFNHL 4
NHL 4
difference 0 (pretty much figured that. Kane will be the best forward in this draft in 10 years)

Brayden McNabb
HFNHL 57
NHL 66
difference -9 (Pretty much figured this)

Jimmy Bubnick
HFNHL 64
NHL 155
difference -91 (shocked at this one....really shocked)

Linden Vey
HFNHL 94
NHL 96
difference -2

Sergei Andronov
HFNHL 124
NHL 78
difference +46

Patrick Cehlin
HFNHL 132
NHL not drafted (thought he would go, but I think he will play well enough this year to get drafted next year)

Tim Schaller
HFNHL 154
NHL not drafted

Andrej Stastny
HFNHL 181
NHL not drafted

Also, one of my 2008 picks, Anton Blomqvist, was picked 167 by the BlueJackets

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I'm generally less concerned with *when* a prospect is drafted so much as *where* they're drafted. Of course, it helps if they are, in fact, drafted... This is the second year in a row I've taken three names that did not end up getting called in the NHL draft - none of the three last year were called this year either. I call these players my "black aces", although "eventual, inevitable cuts" is probably more accurate. ;)

LD Dylan Olsen
NHL: 1/28 to CHI
HFNHL: 1/20 overall

Very pleased with Olsen going to the Blackhawks. He's a throwback to the old days there, and will be very popular with the fans. Chicago has a good young blueline, so they may not be anxious about pressuring Olsen to go to the WHL, and may be patient while he develops at the Univerisyt of Minnesota-Duluth for the next few years. That said, Olsen should be pro-ready within two years, so we'll see what he chooses to do.

RD Charles Olivier-Roussel
NHL: 2/42 to NAS
HFNHL: 1/30

Nashville has a great record drafting and developing two-way defencemen, so I'm particularly pleased to see Roussel going there. There is a lot of depth in the organization, however, so he may have to wait a few years to make his NHL debut.

G Mike Lee
NHL: 3/91 to PHX
HFNHL: 3/70

Although in good shape for now with Bryzgalov and Montoya manning the pipes, the Coyotes recognize that goalie development is an unpredictable science, and as such it pays to have a quality netminder or two in development at all times. Lee fits the bill here, and will be given time to hone his game with St. Cloud State in the NCAA. Maybe by the time her graduates the team will have resolved its financial crisis...

RW Andrej Nestrasil
NHL: 3/75 to DET
HFNHL: 3/84
+9

Hard not to like this selection by the Wings. Nestrasil is a big body who can play in traffic and dish the puck with aplomb. He would look very good as the set-up man on a typical gritty Detroit third line. He has some work to do, particularly on his skating - since that's usually a high priority for Detroit's scouts, it suggests they think he can improve upon it in time, and time he'll have, as Detroit lets their prospects take their time developing. Perhaps we'll see him in Detroit in 4 years.

G Jean-Francois Berube
NHL: 4/95 to LAK
HFNHL: 4/101
+6

Another team with goaltending on its mind, the Kings look to be in strong shape in net with Quick, Ersberg and Bernier, but they sitll don't know which if any of them will provide them with the kind of top-10 golatending they'll need season-in and season out. Berube is a bit of a sleeper pick here, as he will need lots more starts and lots of seasoning over the coming years. Look for the Rockets to move one of him or Jake Allen during the coming QMJHL season.

LD Nate Schmidt
NHL: Undrafted
HFNHL: 4/102

This is the first of three 4th-round Jackets' picks that went undrafted in the NHL... picks we traded our 2nd and 4th in 2011 to acquire. We had better get at least *one* HFNHL player out of them, but this is not a promising beginning... Nevertheless, we feel Schmidt has good potential, and hopefully a good freshman season with the University of Minnesota will see his name getting called in next summer's NHL Entry Draft..

LD Nico Manelius
HFNHL: 4/106

Not surprised that Manelius didn't get selected, as he missed most of the season with a knee injury, and doesn't have prototypical size for a stay-at-home defenceman. However, we like his game, and hope he will be able to come back next season and pick up where he left off, as a Captain and leader on his team, and earning lots of game time in all situations. Had we not picked him this summer, we're confident another HFNHL team would have.

LW Levko Koper
NHL: ATL 7/185
HFNHL: 4/108

A real surprise to slip as late as he did, but was dogged by questions about his consistency. A super-fast two-way player who has good hands and is terrific on the PK, Koper joins an Atlanta organization that is in desperate need of talent. A great value pick for the Thrashers.

RW Michal Hlinka
HFNHL: 4/118

Hlinka has pro skills, but needs a *lot* of work on his physical play and mental focus. Those question marks left him off the NHL's draft list this time around. Now he must either commit to improving significantly with Chicoutimi next year, or limp home to a forgettable career in the Czech league. A gamble pick, and right now the odds do not seem stacked in Columbus' favour.

C Dave Labrecque
NHL: 6/153
HFNHL: 5/126

Slick playmaker Labrecque goes to the Flyers, who have had a lot of recent success with offensive players from the Q. While he lacks the of a Claude Giroux or Simon Gagne, Labrecque does offer high-end vision, creativity and passing skills in the Mike Ribeiro mould. As with many Q players, however, he is seriously lacking in the physical dimensions of the game. Will he be someone who benefits from the so-called "new NHL", or will he max out as a minor-league playmaker? Time will tell. For now he just has to focus on improving his play for league runner-up Shawinigan, along with fellow Jackets draftee Roussel.

LW Gabriel Dumont
NHL: 5/139 to MTL
HFNHL: 6/152
+13

Dumont not only has an outstanding name that conjures up images of Canada's brief flirtation with revolutionary fervour, but he also has a non-stop grinding game that endears him to coaches, teammates and fans alike. Although he may never be more than a Steve Begin-type in the NHL, that will still make him a very popular player for Les Habitants.

C Jere Sallinen
NHL: 6/163
HFNHL: 7/200
+37

After the league's most conservative team made a lot of noise recently about embracing a new offence-friendly approach to the game, the Wild went and selected this feisty Finn who appears for all the world like a classic Minnesota player: good hustle, character and defensive acumen, but not much to offer offensively. Hopefully the organiation's new look rubs off on Sallinen.

All in all, a mix of pleasure and disappointment in this year's draft, with a lot of situations to watch over the coming year.

Draft by position

The breakdown of positions drafted shows near-perfect balance, all the more strange for being completely unintentional:

2 LW: Koper, Dumont
2 C: Labrecque, Sallinen
2 RW: Nestrasil, Hlinka
3 LD: Olsen, Schmidt, Manelius
1 RD: Roussel
2 G: Lee, Berube

Draft by source:

More interesting is the source of the players. Despite having only limited success with the Q in the past, fully half the Jackets' selections were from there, and three of their 7 CHL players were imports:

QMJHL (6): Dumont, Labrecque, Nestrasil, Hlinka, Roussel, Berube
US (2): Lee, Schmidt
FIN (2): Manelius, Sallinen
WHL (1): Koper
AJHL (1): Olsen

Looks like I'll be streaming a lot of QMJHL games next year. :laugh:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
1st Overall - John Tavares - Islanders 1st Overall
37th Overall - Richard Panik - Tampa Bay 52nd Overall
47th Overall - Ryan Button - Boston 86th Overall
69th Overall - Matthew Hackett - Minnesota 77th Overall
76th Overall - Alexander Avtsin - Montreal 109th Overall
129th Overall - Luke Duprey
149th Overall - Viktor Svedberg
150th Overall - Joe Carribino
159th Overall - Colin Bowman
207th Overall - Ben Sexton - Boston 206th Overall

I figured the only way to get over my embarrassment was to post the list and how awful it turned out for my second day picks. I did a poor job there, but at least all my first day picks were drafted. :sarcasm:

In terms of where a few of my guys went, it's encouraging. Matt Hackett to Minnesota was big for me. Great goaltending system there and with Harding being on the move potentially, it could be a great place for Hackett to step in eventually.

Avtsin to Montreal is good. They tend to get their Russian prospects over with a decent amount of success.

Things should be wide open for Button if he's able to go through the Bruins system pretty well.

All in all, just shocked nobody took a chance on Colin Bowman.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
1st Overall - John Tavares - Islanders 1st Overall
37th Overall - Richard Panik - Tampa Bay 52nd Overall
47th Overall - Ryan Button - Boston 86th Overall
69th Overall - Matthew Hackett - Minnesota 77th Overall
76th Overall - Alexander Avtsin - Montreal 109th Overall
129th Overall - Luke Duprey
149th Overall - Viktor Svedberg
150th Overall - Joe Carribino
159th Overall - Colin Bowman
207th Overall - Ben Sexton - Boston 206th Overall

I figured the only way to get over my embarrassment was to post the list and how awful it turned out for my second day picks. I did a poor job there, but at least all my first day picks were drafted. :sarcasm:

In terms of where a few of my guys went, it's encouraging. Matt Hackett to Minnesota was big for me. Great goaltending system there and with Harding being on the move potentially, it could be a great place for Hackett to step in eventually.

Avtsin to Montreal is good. They tend to get their Russian prospects over with a decent amount of success.

Things should be wide open for Button if he's able to go through the Bruins system pretty well.

I don't think there is anything to be embarrassed about really Josh. Take a look at rounds 4-7 in the NHL. Like half of those guys didn't go in our draft, meaning that subsequently half of our guys didn't go in the NHL draft.

It was a strange year that saw a ton of strange prospects go. For the last 100 or so picks, I felt like more 1989 born players were going than first year eligible guys. That gives hope to players who go undrafted.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North

I actually think you're looking at a pretty strong draft there, Josh. Anyone's picks after the second are basically gambles anyway (some could argue *all* picks are gambles...), and obviously you're not alone in having had a few players go undrafted. The fct that your day 1 picks were strong i really all that matters in terms of how successful your draft will be. All the day 2 stuff is basically just lottery tickets... the odds are long, but you hope one or two of them pays off 5 years form now.

It certainly helps when your players are selected by NHL teams, but not being selected is not a kiss of death: as Sean said, look at the number of '89 and '90 birthdays that got selected this year. I think that's in part GMs trying to get guys who they can slot into the roster faster, to relieve their cap pressures... There's every chance that your guys will get selected in time, or else land somewhere as free agents. Just keep an eye on their development, and be prepared to hold onto them for a while. If their performance tanks, well, then maybe it was a burned pick, but otherwise just remember it's a long-term investment.

I sure hope you're right -- I could really use Alexei Yemelin right about now!

Me too - thought he was made for Burke, the way Burke was drafting. But again, if he can continue to develop this season, in particular addressing his skating, there's every chance he'll be drafted next year - perhaps higher than you took him this year. Patience is a virtue (or something like that...).

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
35th - Kyle Clifford - 107th in HFNHL
36th - Chris Brown - 61st in HFNHL
39th - Jakob Silfverberg - 62nd in HFNHL
46th - Robin Lehner - 91st in HFNHL
50th - Kenny Ryan - 45th in HFNHL
64th - Tyson Barrie - 60st in HFNHL
72nd - Michael Latta - 83rd in HFNHL
79th - Mac Bennett - 80th in HFNHL
87th - Simon Bertilsson - 58thh in HFNHL
88th - Mattias Lindström - 97th in HFNHL
111th - Henrik Björklund - 77th in HFNHL
??? - John Henrion - 202nd in HFNHL

10 of my 12 guys in the top 3 rounds in the NHL draft. One in the 4th.

Come on, now -- I knew you had a good draft, but that's just sick! :P

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
For the Blues...

Calvin de Haan
HFNHL: 26th
NHL: 12th
+14
Obviously a big jump in round one. Going to the Isles might also make it a little easier for de Haan to hit the bigs a bit quicker, although I think he must still be a year away. There were signs he was a late riser, but I didn't think he'd crack top 15.

Jordan Caron
HFNHL: 39th
NHL: 25th
+14
Another nice jump and a good situation for Caron with the Bruins, although cracking that roster will be tough. But always nice to get a 1st rounder out of a 2nd round pick, even if it is more symbolic than anything.

Dmitri Orlov
HFNHL: 52nd
NHL: 55th
Most expected Orlov to go later than his talent level warranted simply because he has no intention of coming to NA next year and the general stigma of Russian players in this day and age (always a viable option to play at home). But for him to get drafted by Caps, which is turning into Russia West, is a great place, as he will likely be more inclined to come over with some many of his country-mates already well established there.

Anton Burdasov
HFNHL: 113
NHL: Not drafted
--
The first of two Russian fliers for the Blues, Burdasov has immense talent and the Blues can afford to let him develop for several years in Russian, while NHL teams can't.

Nikita Dvurechensky
HFNHL: 146
NHL: Not drafted
Again, similar to Burdasov, Dvurechesky tore up the Russia 3 league for Dynamo, but is several years away. His CSB rating dropped off the charts after being left off the U18 team. He had been the 9th ranked European at the mid-term.

Reilly Smith
HFNHL: 184
NHL:69
+115
Pretty amazing to see a small offensive guy like Smith, who played for St. Mike's Buzzers, to go ahead of another small offensive player like Tony Rajala, but who has a heck of a better international track record. But the Blues are pleased to see their late round gem be so highly regarded. While I had liked what I had heard of Smith before hand, I have to give some credit to Redline on this one, as their write-up and touting him a sleeper gave me the intrigue to move him up my draft list.

Cal Vandelay

Apr 1, 2008
[HFNHL] 1st Round - 3rd Overall
[NHL] 1st Round - 3rd Overall ( Colorado )
Matt Duchane

[HFNHL] 1st Round - 5th Overall
[NHL] 1st Round - 5th Overall ( LA )
Braydan Schenn

[HFNHL]1st Round - 24th Overall
[NHL] 1st Round 23rd Overall ( Calgary )
Tim Erixon

[HFNHL]1st Round -25th Overall
[NHL] 1st Round 29th Overall ( Tampa )
Carter Ashton

[HFNHL]2nd Round - 48th Overall
[NHL] 5th Round - 133rd Overall ( Edmonton )
Olivier Roy

[HFNHL]2nd Round - 52nd Overall
[NHL] 5th Round - 125th Overall ( Dallas )
Tomas Vincour

[HFNHL]3rd Round - 76th Overall
[NHL] 5th Round -137th Overall ( Columbus )
Tomas Larkin

[HFNHL]3rd Round - 89th Overall
[NHL] 4th Round - 115th Overall ( Min )
Alexander Fallstrom

[HFNHL] 4th Round
[NHL] 4th Round (Nashville )
Nick Oliver

[HFNHL] 4th Round
[NHL] 4th Round ( Phoenix )
Jordan Szwarz

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
[HFNHL] 1st Round - 3rd Overall
[NHL] 1st Round - 3rd Overall ( Colorado )
Matt Duchane

[HFNHL] 1st Round - 5th Overall
[NHL] 1st Round - 5th Overall ( LA )
Braydan Schenn

[HFNHL]1st Round - 24th Overall
[NHL] 1st Round 23rd Overall ( Calgary )
Tim Erixon

[HFNHL]1st Round -25th Overall
[NHL] 1st Round 29th Overall ( Tampa )
Carter Ashton

Damn that's another very good draft.

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Bruins

Boston's draft vs. real NHL:

Peter Holland
NHL: 15 ( anaheim )
HFNHL: 22
+/-: 7

Alex Hutchings
NHL:93 ( tampa bay )
HFNHL:56
+/-: 37

Josh Birkholz
NHL: 67 ( florida )
HFNHL: 87
+/-: 20

Tommi Kivisto
NHL: 208 ( Carolina )
HFNHL: 112
+/-: 94

Rasmus Rissanen
NHL: 178 ( Carolina )
HFNHL: 140
+/-: 38

Tyler Amburgey
NHL: Not Drafted
HFNHL: 172
+/-: NA

Rate it? We'll wait 5 years for that.

GM Kruegs

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Boston's draft vs. real NHL:

Peter Holland
NHL: 15 ( anaheim )
HFNHL: 22
+/-: 7

Alex Hutchings
NHL:93 ( tampa bay )
HFNHL:56
+/-: 37

Josh Birkholz
NHL: 67 ( florida )
HFNHL: 87
+/-: 20

Tommi Kivisto
NHL: 208 ( Carolina )
HFNHL: 112
+/-: 94

Rasmus Rissanen
NHL: 178 ( Carolina )
HFNHL: 140
+/-: 38

Tyler Amburgey
NHL: Not Drafted
HFNHL: 172
+/-: NA

Rate it? We'll wait 5 years for that.

GM Kruegs

I'm still surprised Hutchings fell as far as he did. I almost took him over Paradis at 41 in our draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad