Where can I find voting records for the Conn Smythe Trophy?

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa
Yeah, it's very interesting, if true...

Fedorov had just two assists in the WCQF vs St. Louis in six games.

Then just eyeballing it, he had about 47 points vs Colorado and Philadelphia in the Conference and Cup Finals, respectively.

Ok fine, 7 vs Col and 6 vs Phi.

WCF game 2 - 3rd period goal to tie it up, leading a 4-2 Detroit comeback win.
WCF game 3 - 3rd period assist on the game winner by Kozlov
WCF game 6 - 3rd period game winning, series winning goal
SCF game 1 - Game winning goal in the 2nd period
SCF game 3 - Game winning goal early in game 3, scoring two minutes after Yzerman had answered Philadelphia's first goal, extinguishing their only lead of the series, also two minutes in length.

So, it's not like he mopped up against St. Louis and Anaheim and everyone forgot...he was dynamite against the two toughest opponents they were gonna face...

Fedorov deserved at least one Smythe during his spectacular ice hockey career.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
For '89, besides MacInnis and Vernon, Mullen Gilmour and Otto were the others discussed at the time.

Vernon just said in an interview that before the last game, they called like five of us in and said 'one of you is going to win the Smythe.' He mentioned them as "MacInnis, myself, Nieuwendyk, Mullen". Maybe it was only four or maybe the fifth was Otto and he neglected to mention him. Either way, it aligns with what you're saying. Just adding some further sourcing.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Vernon just said in an interview that before the last game, they called like five of us in and said 'one of you is going to win the Smythe.' He mentioned them as "MacInnis, myself, Nieuwendyk, Mullen". Maybe it was only four or maybe the fifth was Otto and he neglected to mention him. Either way, it aligns with what you're saying. Just adding some further sourcing.

i can’t imagine how nieuwendyk could have been in the running, are you sure it wasn’t gilmour?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yeah, I actually went back and looked at Nieuwendyk's stats from that year...maybe that doesn't tell the story though. But that's what Vernon said...it's also an off-the-cuff 30+ year old story. So...

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I don't remember any discussion of Nieuwendyk, but that doesn't mean he didn't receive any votes....it's certainly possible. Nieuwendyk and Loob scored some goals earlier, and Gilmour and Mullen came on in the later rounds.

Vernon was 2nd in voting and there was a lot of talk that he might win it....but it would've been a mistake; MacInnis definitely deserved it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, I actually went back and looked at Nieuwendyk's stats from that year...maybe that doesn't tell the story though. But that's what Vernon said...it's also an off-the-cuff 30+ year old story. So...

i'm guessing vernon must have misremembered gilmour as nieuwendyk

this is a byproduct of me doing a deep dive on macinnis' PP scoring in the 1989 playoffs recently, but nieuwendyk did not have a very good playoffs.

most significantly, after scoring more PP goals in his first two seasons than i think anyone ever, nieuwendyk was taken off the top unit in the finals and replaced by joel otto

nieuwendyk had one goal, two pts in the finals. otto had two goals, eight pts.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He deserved exactly one - in 1997
Which would have perfectly represented the pillars of that Red Wing run. Fedorov, Yzerman, Lidstrom. For my money the three most important players on those teams. Then followed by Shanahan, the Grind Line as a whole, and [insert competent goalie here].

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
You can get a good understand of the voting results if not the precise voting itself just by going through old newspapers.

Some I've recently come across:

1985: Close vote between Gretzky (winner) and Coffey (runner up) with Fuhr getting love too. One source can be read to state that the voting was 47-37, but this is much more likely an ambiguity with the grammatical construction of the phrase with them noting the difference between Gretzky's and Coffey's actual points lol

2002: Split vote between Lidstrom (winner) and Hasek (runner up), Yzerman, Fedorov, Hull.

The 1997 voting results example above also includes a tidbit that the balloting was the closest (to that point) by 2 points.
How can anyone look at that 2002 and not roll your eyes when its not Irbe I still dont know.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
How can anyone look at that 2002 and not roll your eyes when its not Irbe I still dont know.
It's really hard to give to a guy from a team that lost 4-1 in the Final. Especially when switching to the backup is a big reason the team made it out of the 1st round to begin with. I honestly wasn't paying attention to the east that year. Was it an injury that hampered Irbe or did Maurice really switch his goalie twice?

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
The Trophy is supposed to go to the player who is most valuable to his team. Irbe was more valuable to the Canes than anyone on the Wings were, I dont even know how any one argues that with a straight face. Hrm I wonder if I can ask his son what he thinks about that. Maybe ill try never thought about it.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The Trophy is supposed to go to the player who is most valuable to his team. Irbe was more valuable to the Canes than anyone on the Wings were, I dont even know how any one argues that with a straight face. Hrm I wonder if I can ask his son what he thinks about that. Maybe ill try never thought about it.
Irbe played great but these are probably the closest stats between starter/backup I've seen. Not to mention that without Weekes they don't make it out of the first round.

1662081347556.png

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
Come on how do you know they dont make it out of the first round? Irbe has always had sketchy voting stuff in the NHL or do I need to post those 99 vesnia trophy results where Irbe was the best goalie in the league that year up to the final 2 weeks of the season and he basically got no votes what so ever. And then look at all the goalies above him. I dont see how any can look at that and not think its suspect.

Irbe to me has always seemed like the red headed step child or something of "good" goalies in 90s and early 2000s. Like people just dont want to admit he was good and hes constantly down played despite playing for not only bad teams but some of the worst teams in the history of the league. Which I always find funny cuz one of the few seasons he gets credit for 93-94 when Larionov deserves a lot of credit for that year.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Come on how do you know they dont make it out of the first round? Irbe has always had sketchy voting stuff in the NHL or do I need to post those 99 vesnia trophy results where Irbe was the best goalie in the league that year up to the final 2 weeks of the season and he basically got no votes what so ever. And then look at all the goalies above him. I dont see how any can look at that and not think its suspect.

Irbe to me has always seemed like the red headed step child or something of "good" goalies in 90s and early 2000s. Like people just dont want to admit he was good and hes constantly down played despite playing for not only bad teams but some of the worst teams in the history of the league. Which I always find funny cuz one of the few seasons he gets credit for 93-94 when Larionov deserves a lot of credit for that year.
Well... it wasn't looking like it. Pulled after the 1st period of games 3 and 4.

Irbe's stats in the first series.
1662184333755.png

Then these are Weekes' stats in the rest of that series.
1662184415786.png

Then they reversed storylines in round 2...

A roller-coaster like that does not make for a strong Conn Smythe argument.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I've never heard that before. Never considered that 1997 would have anyone other than Fedorov in second; Yzerman over Fedorov that year would not have been good.
Hate to say it, but get the feeling that if Fedorov was Canadian, he would’ve won the Smythe that year.

Yeah, it's very interesting, if true...

Fedorov had just two assists in the WCQF vs St. Louis in six games.

Then just eyeballing it, he had about 47 points vs Colorado and Philadelphia in the Conference and Cup Finals, respectively.

Ok fine, 7 vs Col and 6 vs Phi.

WCF game 2 - 3rd period goal to tie it up, leading a 4-2 Detroit comeback win.
WCF game 3 - 3rd period assist on the game winner by Kozlov
WCF game 6 - 3rd period game winning, series winning goal
SCF game 1 - Game winning goal in the 2nd period
SCF game 3 - Game winning goal early in game 3, scoring two minutes after Yzerman had answered Philadelphia's first goal, extinguishing their only lead of the series, also two minutes in length.

So, it's not like he mopped up against St. Louis and Anaheim and everyone forgot...he was dynamite against the two toughest opponents they were gonna face...
It’s also important to note that Fedorov was deployed as a defenceman to start the playofffs against the Blues, which makes his run even more impressive to me, he was above a point per game as a forward.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hate to say it, but get the feeling that if Fedorov was Canadian, he would’ve won the Smythe that year.

It’s also important to note that Fedorov was deployed as a defenceman to start the playofffs against the Blues, which makes his run even more impressive to me, he was above a point per game as a forward.
Yeah perhaps. They did convincingly vote him the Hart three years earlier plus vote him to two Selkes. I mainly chalk it up to the wonky Conn Smythe voting that happens with some regularity. I pretty much expect everyone to know that Fedorov was the best player in those playoffs and also the most valuable Red Wing.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Not very definitive, but there's some thought that maybe Giguere won overwhelmingly...I've never seen it mentioned/referenced that he won unanimously though...

Majority opinion of the 15-member voting panel of the Pro Hockey Writers Association – four writers from Anaheim/LA, four from New York/New Jersey, seven at-large – as informally sampled Saturday was so steadfastly behind Giguere, he would have won the award had the Mighty Ducks lost in six. I know of writers from the West Coast – and perhaps others – who believed Giguere’s speech to his team between Games 2 and 3 met the criteria for the award. Too bad for Stevens he didn’t broadcast all of his speeches to his teammates.

I didn’t have a vote for the trophy. If I did, I would have been torn between Brodeur, Stevens and Scott Niedermayer, who had one of the great Finals and greatest Game 7’s of any defenseman, ever.

Nothing surprising about 2003, as most people believe that it's one of the best performances ever despite Giguere's Final, but it sounds like he was probably pushing 13 or 14 first place votes, reading between the lines...

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
How someone from Europe, i think he is the only one, could vote? What should be done, to have the right to vote?
Just asking.

I don't know what the rules are but there are plenty of Swedes in the league and Per Bjurman has lived in New York and covered the NHL for the Swedish audience for almost twenty years as a news paper journalist.

He's an entertaining writer (originally reviewed music back in the 90's when that was the shit) but I wouldn't say he's particularly knowledgeable about hockey, very mainstream in his views from what I've seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad