Where are the "hockey towns" of the world?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's definitely Elektrėnai in Lithuania. A small town with population of 15k but 9 out of 10 boys practice hockey there. Most famous players are Dainius Zubrus and Darius Kasparaitis

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
And Narva in Estonia. Barely in Estonia, but still. :sarcasm:

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Definitely Trenčín in Slovakia.
Players from Trencin with NHL experience:
Marián Gáborík, Marián Hossa, Zdeno Chára
Marcel Hossa; Tomáš Kopecký, Sekeráš Ľubomír, Bartovič Milan, Nedorost Andrej; Richard Lintner; Branko Radivojevič, Roman Tvrdoň .... I'm sure I forgot a few.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
No. Half Scandinavian though (3/8 Swede and 1/8 Dane).

I've lived on the East Coast my whole life, but I've got a lot of family friends out across the Midwest and Minnesota. While it's clearly the best hockey state in the country, oddly everyone I know (they are from Apple Valley) has no care for hockey. Go figure, especially since multiple professional hockey players have come out of AVHS.

651*

I've lived on the East Coast my whole life, but I've got a lot of family friends out across the Midwest and Minnesota. While it's clearly the best hockey state in the country, oddly everyone I know (they are from Apple Valley) has no care for hockey. Go figure, especially since multiple professional hockey players have come out of AVHS.

Minnesotans can be weird like that.

AV, yes. I was at the AV-Duluth East state tournament game at the Civic Center - the longest state tournament game in MN history - back in '96 when I was a freshman. Karl Goehring was absurd that game.

AV has been a perennial powerhouse for the longest time. It's tough to come out of their section though which is why they don't make the big dance as often as they should.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Minnesotans can be weird like that.

AV, yes. I was at the AV-Duluth East state tournament game at the Civic Center - the longest state tournament game in MN history - back in '96 when I was a freshman. Karl Goehring was absurd that game.

AV has been a perennial powerhouse for the longest time. It's tough to come out of their section though which is why they don't make the big dance as often as they should.

Yeah. It's been kind of funny as I've just by coincidence stumbled upon these players being from there. Knowing my way around the place and knowing lots of people in the town (was like a second home during the summers for awhile)Keep in mind, I'm from a small, sleepy New England town 30 miles outside of Boston with a pretty weak hockey program. And as you've pointed out, Minnesota is full of hockey towns so I shouldn't be too shocked.

I have connections with two sort of random towns hockey players happen to come out of. My father is from Livnoia, Michigan, home of Mike Modano, Ryan Kesler, and Torey Krug among others. My grandmother who passed about six years ago was actually good friends with Modano's parents who lived right down the street.

I actually chatted briefly with Dan Sexton many years ago, but I believe he went to Eastview on the other side of town.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
argentinaicehockey3.jpg

Ushuaia, Argentina

48398053.jpg

Ladakh, India

Would be interesting to have a Hockey town location for each country that plays Hockey, so we can have a list, especially for countries such as Argentina and India where only die hards devout themselves to the World's Greatest Game. I'll work on it and post it up when I can. Should probably be a list of over 50 countries if I'm not mistaken, who knows!

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Ladakh, India

Would be interesting to have a Hockey town location for each country that plays Hockey, so we can have a list, especially for countries such as Argentina and India where only die hards devout themselves to the World's Greatest Game. I'll work on it and post it up when I can. Should probably be a list of over 50 countries if I'm not mistaken, who knows!

wow, and to think people complain about the altitude in Denver, I'm sure this game was being played at double the elevation!

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
You guys gotta check out my book on hockey hotbeds!

Hockey Hotbeds is a collection of stories on thirty hockey cities/towns around the world that includes exclusive interviews with many of the games top players from the past, present and future. From Boston to Zurich, Ty Dilello takes you around the world in this must read for any major hockey or sports fan.

Here's a list of some of the players I interviewed for this book: Curt Ridley, Cesare Maniago, Johnny Bower, Mike Liut, Adam Dennis, Andy Bathgate, Don Beaupre, Bob Mason, Thomas Steen, Anze Kopitar, Peter Bondra, Florence Schelling, Nik Antropov.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/379954

http://www.hockeybookreviews.com/2013/12/hockey-hotbeds-by-ty-dilello.html

Here's a list of the cities in the book:

CANADA
Minnedosa, Manitoba
Notable NHL Players: Curt Ridley

Sudbury, Ontario
Notable NHL Players: Todd Bertuzzi, Andrew Brunette, Mike Foligno, Randy Carlyle, Eddie Shack, Brian Savage, Al Arbour, Ed Giacomin, Gerry Desjardins

Ottawa, Ontario
Notable NHL Players: Dan Boyle, Mike Gartner, Rod Brind’Amour, Dennis Potvin, Marc Savard, Derek Roy, Erik Gudbranson, Aurel Joliat, King Clancy, Clint Benedict

Vancouver, British Colombia
Notable NHL Players: Glenn Anderson, Paul Kariya, Milan Lucic, Evander Kane, Troy Brouwer, Chuck Kobasew, Ryan Johansen, Carey Price, Barry Beck

Trail, British Colombia
Notable NHL Players: Ray Ferraro, Dallas Drake, Shawn Horcoff, Adam Deadmarsh, Steve Tambellini, Barret Jackman, Cesare Maniago

Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
Notable NHL Players: Terry Ruskowski, Dave Manson, Johnny Bower, Ryan Parent

Weston, Ontario
Notable NHL Players: Paul Coffey, Adam Oates, Craig Ramsay, Mike Liut, Brian Hayward

Montreal, Quebec
Notable NHL Players: Mario Lemieux, Ray Bourque, Luc Robitaille, Vincent Damphousse, Mike Bossy, Henri Richard, Maurice Richard, Mike Bossy, Bernie Geoffrion, Mike Ribeiro, Doug Harvey, Kris Letang, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo, Bernie Parent, Jean-Sebastian Giguere, Corey Crawford, Lorne Chabot, Gump Worsley

Toronto, Ontario
Notable NHL Players: Dale Hawerchuk, Brad Park, Dennis Maruk, Steve Shutt, Mike Knuble, Stephen Weiss, Raffi Torres, Andrew Cogliano, Mark Giordano, PK Subban, Cody Hodgson, Mike Palmateer, Dougie Hamilton, Bob Essensa, Jamie Oleksiak, Jason Muzzatti, Kevin Weekes, George Hainsworth

Edmonton, Alberta
Notable NHL Players: Mark Messier, Johnny Bucyk, Jarome Iginla, Scott Niedermayer, Derek Morris, Dion Phaneuf, Jay Bouwmeester, Bryan Little, Andrew Ference, Harold Snepsts, Tyler Ennis, Johnny Boychuk, Kelly Hrudey, Jamie McLennan

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Notable NHL Players: Butch Goring, Andy Bathgate, Bill Mosienko, Patrick Sharp, Terry Sawchuk, Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, Alexander Steen, Travis Zajac, Darren Helm, Derek Meech, James Reimer, Jim Henry, Mud Brunneteau

Thunder Bay, Ontario
Notable NHL Players: Alex Delvecchio, Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Marc Staal, Taylor Pyatt, Steve Rucchin, Wayne Stephenson, Gus Bodnar

USA
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Notable NHL Players: Phil Housley, Kyle Okposo, Ryan McDonagh, Zach Parise, Reed Larson, Dustin Byfuglien, Paul Martin, Toby Peterson, Damian Rhodes

San Jose, California
Notable NHL Players: None

Boston, Massachusetts
Notable NHL Players: Jeremy Roenick, Chris Nilan, Keith Yandle, Tom Barrasso, Benn Ferriero

Washington D.C, USA
Notable NHL Players: Kevyn Adams, Bill Nyrop

Europe

Edinburgh, Scotland
Notable NHL Players: Tommy Anderson, Charlie Gardiner

Oslo, Norway
Notable NHL Players: Espen Knutsen, Mats Zuccarello, Patrick Thorosen, Ole-Kristian
Tollefsen

Gothenburg, Sweden
Notable NHL Players: Henrik Lundqvist, Erik Karlsson, Daniel Alfredsson, Calle Johansson, Loui Eriksson, Robin Lehner, Carl Klingberg

Grums, Sweden
Notable NHL Players: Willy Lindstrom, Thomas Steen

Helsinki, Finland
Notable NHL Players: Teemu Selanne, Jari Kurri, Esa Tikkanen, Sean Bergenheim, Kari Lehtonen, Lennart Petrell, Niklas Backstrom

Jyvaskyla, Finland
Notable NHL Players: Raimo Summanen, Sami Vatanen, Ari Ahonen

Jesenice, Slovenia
Notable NHL Players: Anze Kopitar

Poprad, Slovakia
Notable NHL Players: Peter Bondra

Zurich, Switzerland
Notable NHL Players: Raphael Diaz, Tobias Stephan

Ortiesi, Italy

Riga, Latvia
Notable NHL Players: Sergei Zholtok, Karlis Skrastins, Raitis Ivanans, Viktor Tikhonov, Herbert Vasiljevs, Kaspars Daugavins, Arturs Irbe, Helmut Balderis, Peter Skudra, Arturs Kulda, Zemgus Girgensons

Herning, Denmark
Notable NHL Players: Frans Nielsen, Peter Regin, Nicklas Jensen

Reykjavik, Iceland

Ust-Kamenogorsk, Kazakhstan
Notable NHL Players: Evgeni Nabokov, Nikolai Antropov, Anton Khudobin, Alexander Perezhogin, Vitaly Kolesnik

651*

USA
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Notable NHL Players: Phil Housley, Kyle Okposo, Ryan McDonagh, Zach Parise, Reed Larson, Dustin Byfuglien, Paul Martin, Toby Peterson, Damian Rhodes

Not one of those players grew up in Minneapolis.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Notable NHL Players: Teemu Selanne, Jari Kurri, Esa Tikkanen, Sean Bergenheim, Kari Lehtonen, Lennart Petrell, Niklas Backstrom

Jyvaskyla, Finland
No Tampere?

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

Hockey Hotbeds is a collection of stories on thirty hockey cities/towns around the world that includes exclusive interviews with many of the games top players from the past, present and future. From Boston to Zurich, Ty Dilello takes you around the world in this must read for any major hockey or sports fan.

Here's a list of some of the players I interviewed for this book: Curt Ridley, Cesare Maniago, Johnny Bower, Mike Liut, Adam Dennis, Andy Bathgate, Don Beaupre, Bob Mason, Thomas Steen, Anze Kopitar, Peter Bondra, Florence Schelling, Nik Antropov.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/379954

http://www.hockeybookreviews.com/2013/12/hockey-hotbeds-by-ty-dilello.html

Here's a list of the cities in the book:

CANADA
Minnedosa, Manitoba
Notable NHL Players: Curt Ridley

Sudbury, Ontario
Notable NHL Players: Todd Bertuzzi, Andrew Brunette, Mike Foligno, Randy Carlyle, Eddie Shack, Brian Savage, Al Arbour, Ed Giacomin, Gerry Desjardins

Ottawa, Ontario
Notable NHL Players: Dan Boyle, Mike Gartner, Rod Brind’Amour, Dennis Potvin, Marc Savard, Derek Roy, Erik Gudbranson, Aurel Joliat, King Clancy, Clint Benedict

Vancouver, British Colombia
Notable NHL Players: Glenn Anderson, Paul Kariya, Milan Lucic, Evander Kane, Troy Brouwer, Chuck Kobasew, Ryan Johansen, Carey Price, Barry Beck

Trail, British Colombia
Notable NHL Players: Ray Ferraro, Dallas Drake, Shawn Horcoff, Adam Deadmarsh, Steve Tambellini, Barret Jackman, Cesare Maniago

Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
Notable NHL Players: Terry Ruskowski, Dave Manson, Johnny Bower, Ryan Parent

Weston, Ontario
Notable NHL Players: Paul Coffey, Adam Oates, Craig Ramsay, Mike Liut, Brian Hayward

Montreal, Quebec
Notable NHL Players: Mario Lemieux, Ray Bourque, Luc Robitaille, Vincent Damphousse, Mike Bossy, Henri Richard, Maurice Richard, Mike Bossy, Bernie Geoffrion, Mike Ribeiro, Doug Harvey, Kris Letang, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo, Bernie Parent, Jean-Sebastian Giguere, Corey Crawford, Lorne Chabot, Gump Worsley

Toronto, Ontario
Notable NHL Players: Dale Hawerchuk, Brad Park, Dennis Maruk, Steve Shutt, Mike Knuble, Stephen Weiss, Raffi Torres, Andrew Cogliano, Mark Giordano, PK Subban, Cody Hodgson, Mike Palmateer, Dougie Hamilton, Bob Essensa, Jamie Oleksiak, Jason Muzzatti, Kevin Weekes, George Hainsworth

Edmonton, Alberta
Notable NHL Players: Mark Messier, Johnny Bucyk, Jarome Iginla, Scott Niedermayer, Derek Morris, Dion Phaneuf, Jay Bouwmeester, Bryan Little, Andrew Ference, Harold Snepsts, Tyler Ennis, Johnny Boychuk, Kelly Hrudey, Jamie McLennan

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Notable NHL Players: Butch Goring, Andy Bathgate, Bill Mosienko, Patrick Sharp, Terry Sawchuk, Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, Alexander Steen, Travis Zajac, Darren Helm, Derek Meech, James Reimer, Jim Henry, Mud Brunneteau

Thunder Bay, Ontario
Notable NHL Players: Alex Delvecchio, Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Marc Staal, Taylor Pyatt, Steve Rucchin, Wayne Stephenson, Gus Bodnar

USA
Minneapolis, Minnesota

San Jose, California

Boston, Massachusetts
Notable NHL Players: Jeremy Roenick, Chris Nilan, Keith Yandle, Tom Barrasso, Benn Ferriero

Washington D.C, USA
Notable NHL Players: Kevyn Adams, Bill Nyrop

Europe

Edinburgh, Scotland
Notable NHL Players: Tommy Anderson, Charlie Gardiner

Oslo, Norway
Notable NHL Players: Espen Knutsen, Mats Zuccarello, Patrick Thorosen, Ole-Kristian
Tollefsen

Gothenburg, Sweden
Notable NHL Players: Henrik Lundqvist, Erik Karlsson, Daniel Alfredsson, Calle Johansson, Loui Eriksson, Robin Lehner, Carl Klingberg

Grums, Sweden

Helsinki, Finland

Jyvaskyla, Finland

Jesenice, Slovenia
Notable NHL Players: Anze Kopitar

Poprad, Slovakia
Notable NHL Players: Peter Bondra

Zurich, Switzerland
Notable NHL Players: Raphael Diaz, Tobias Stephan

Ortiesi, Italy

Riga, Latvia
Notable NHL Players: Sergei Zholtok, Karlis Skrastins, Raitis Ivanans, Viktor Tikhonov, Herbert Vasiljevs, Kaspars Daugavins, Arturs Irbe, Helmut Balderis, Peter Skudra, Arturs Kulda, Zemgus Girgensons

Herning, Denmark
Notable NHL Players: Frans Nielsen, Peter Regin, Nicklas Jensen

Reykjavik, Iceland

Ust-Kamenogorsk, Kazakhstan
Notable NHL Players: Evgeni Nabokov, Nikolai Antropov, Anton Khudobin, Alexander Perezhogin, Vitaly Kolesnik
Erik Karlsson is from a small village called landsbro (roughly 140 miles from Gothenburg). Although he played for Frölunda HC.

Jaan

May 10, 2013

A list full of mistakes and inconsistencies. I think this guy should stick to Canadian hockey, since he clearly has no idea what's going on internationally

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden

Gothenburg, Sweden

Grums, Sweden

Gothenburg is first an foremost a football (soccer) town, probably the number 1 football town in Sweden. And Lundqvist is not from Gothenburg.

And Grums?

If the defintion of a hockey town is something like "hockey in the genes" you have Ornskoldsvik and Leksand as prime examples. Leksand might, just as Ambri, fall short because of the "town-factor" though.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I'd definitely add Novokuznetsk to a list of Russian hockey towns. Shame the team has been so weak.

Jaan

May 10, 2013
At least the Jyväskylä part is correct as I wrote it :)

Would you care to explain why Jyväskylä is more of a hockey town than Tampere or Turku, or any other average sized finnish city?

IceBlacks

Dec 17, 2013
Would you care to explain why Jyväskylä is more of a hockey town than Tampere or Turku, or any other average sized finnish city?

I've lived most part of my life in Jyväskylä and that's why I felf comfortable writing about them. Tampere was an alternative and Turku but I decided to go with Jyväskylä as it's not very often written about.

Jaan

May 10, 2013
I've lived most part of my life in Jyväskylä and that's why I felf comfortable writing about them. Tampere was an alternative and Turku but I decided to go with Jyväskylä as it's not very often written about.

Aah, okay. :)

I guess Jyväskylä's status as a hockey town is on rise when you think of their (future) NHL players: Vatanen, Määttä and Honka. The future's looking bright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad