Speculation: When will discussions with JT begin?

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
The first day we can offer him a contract is next July 1st. If i'm snow, I probably offer him an 8 year contract at about 9mill per that day. Thoughts of what you think will happen?

Let the JT anxiety this year begin

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
We should get on our hands and knees and kiss Stamkos' feet for the contract he signed. He officially set the benchmark for a Tavares contract.

I'm offering him 8 years and $9.5-10M/year. Shows that it's similar to Stamkos' contract but it's still more because he's more important to us than Stamkos is to the Lightning. Plus it's the same range as Kopitar.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
July 1st 2017. That's when I would start.

Snow will be playing with fire if he uses he Nielsen and Okposo tactics.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
So far, he's lost his four friends on the team (Moulson, KO, McD, and Nielsen), but got one back in PAP. Odds are looking up now!!!! :laugh:

He's not going anywhere unless it's a complete dead end. Heck, Shane Doan NEVER left AZ. JT likes being the franchise player, but also doesn't want all the media nonsense to go with it if he went somewhere else. He'll resign.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Isn't that when discussions can start anyway? Yeah, Snow needs to do whatever, say whatever, and offer whatever to keep Johnny right where he is.

That was my point. You start the minute it's legal too.

Is that the date you can official sign an extention? I huess hey can talk now but can't make anything official, correct?

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
9 Years $91M w/ NMC

No messing around. We have zero leverage because he signed a team friendly contract last go round and the General Moron squandered those years and never iced a truly contending team. Also, we can't play chicken with him. The Isles at that point being still only 3 years into Brooklyn will have a lot more to lose in those negotiations than he will.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I'd give the kid a blank check. I don't envision Tavares leaving.

I know the downtrodden will say we have never given him proper help, or losing guys will cause Tavares to go...

Meanwhile, snow had went out and acquired talent in the forms of Leddy and Boychuck for example and... This year he did bring in a top tier guy in Ladd to replace Okposo... A guy with a winning pedigree who will know what it takes and help a young roster to get over that hump...

Tavares never once struck me as the kind of guy who will up and leave at the first chance. In ways, like Doan, I see Tavares wanting to be responsible for turning the team into a cup team not bolt for the first chance.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
9 Years $91M w/ NMC

No messing around. We have zero leverage because he signed a team friendly contract last go round and the General Moron squandered those years and never iced a truly contending team. Also, we can't play chicken with him. The Isles at that point being still only 3 years into Brooklyn will have a lot more to lose in those negotiations than he will.

We can't offer 9 years. But a NMC in his contract is a lock.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
since I didn't realize we can't do 9 years...

8 years $91M. He's probably going to be right around highest paid in the league and he deserves it.

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
From The Sirius XM NHL Channel all Of Leaf Nation Feel JT is The Messiah and When his contract is up He will be going Home! Honestly would not be surprised to see JT Bolt to Toronto as what is in Brooklyn That would make him Stay? If Snow is still the GM and JT does not sign an extension he had better be traded !!!! We let 3 assets walk just to barely beat the Panthers in the playoffs....and zero return.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
From The Sirius XM NHL Channel all Of Leaf Nation Feel JT is The Messiah and When his contract is up He will be going Home! Honestly would not be surprised to see JT Bolt to Toronto as what is in Brooklyn That would make him Stay? If Snow is still the GM and JT does not sign an extension he had better be traded !!!! We let 3 assets walk just to barely beat the Panthers in the playoffs....and zero return.

Ah, but we did win the series.

If I was Garth on July 1 I would tell JT "we'll have an offer for you July 5th" and then spend July 1-2 working my ass off to build the best possible roster to prove the organization is serious about winning the Cup in the next 5 years.

Then on July 5 you don't mess around. 8 years, $10M per.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

Let's just fold.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
If I were the new owners, I would be getting into this conversation as well and see what he wants. Does he want a little taste of ownership, does he want to follow in Stevie Y's footsteps and transition into a GM at the end of his playing days?

The blank check would be nice but has to be a realistic blank check and I think JT is smart enough to know if he wants to stay, he has to leave some on the table to pay other good players.

I like the 8 yr $90M range.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
JT seems to me to be the last guy who would play games with the organization over his next contract. I'm sure something in the 8 yr $10 mil per area gets done quickly and quietly when the time comes.
Something tells me he wants to be here long-term to succeed with this team, not run somewhere else and start over.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
JT seems to me to be the last guy who would play games with the organization over his next contract. I'm sure something in the 8 yr $10 mil per area gets done quickly and quietly when the time comes.
Something tells me he wants to be here long-term to succeed with this team, not run somewhere else and start over.

8 years , 9 mil per .

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau

i remember seeing him in that documentary looking at the bossy statue at the coliseum before every single game. he wants to be the next bossy. hopefully snow can bring in/fully develop the other pieces that helped support bossy..

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
The Isles got nowhere with him last year. Plus, I'm tired of seeing him *insert mindless meme here* all the time.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

If he wants to get somewhere with the Isles he should probably throw Snow under the bus to the new owners ASAP. This team will never win anything with the Snow/Capuano braintrust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad