When was the last time you cried because of a playoff loss?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I haven't cried after a playoff loss because it's a game that millionaires play and it's silly to let a loss get to you emotionally. Turn off the TV and move on/touch grass.

Last edited:

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
As a kid maybe few times, especially when I could tell uncles & dad weren't happy. But sports isn't real life and crying over it as an adult would seem strange to me. Each their own though, people deal with things differently and that's more than OK.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'll try not to get into too many details, but I cried after the 2013 playoffs. I'm a Leafs fan, and that was the "it was 4-1" loss to Boston.

It wasn't just the game, though. There were a few family disasters/health issues that had hit us around that time, including a serious injury and a death. A real tough stretch as a family. Trying times. I was with 4 generations of my family watching that game, with some skyping in from overseas. It was essentially an unplanned family reunion.

We were all dealing with a lot, and it just felt like the boost we needed to see our team getting a win. That was the first Leafs playoff appearance in forever, and it meant a lot. I'm not exaggerating when I say we all sort of felt like something special was happening, and we were getting rewarded for getting through some hard times.

The breakdown and overtime loss was absolutely gutting. I can't even describe how gutting. It wasn't just a loss. It was like something very real had been taken away. It felt like we had all been abandoned in a pit. Or a slap in the face when you're already drowning.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I can't think of a time I have, but it's weird how many people in this thread feel the need to police other's emotions.

Reactions: Kerberos

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Never cried but during the 2021 ECF between isles and tampa game 7 towards the end of the game my heart rate while sitting down rose to around 145 and my apple watch let me know i was having a cardiac event

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Actually cried? Never. Since I was a teenager I recall crying a handful of times. When my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and when he passed, and when I had to put down my family dog (held it together to be strong for everyone until I was alone and had my moment).

I've been worked up, I've been angry, I've jumped and nearly hit the ceiling when they've won, I've felt all kinds of emotions and all of that but I can't say I have ever cried over the game good or bad.

Might be my upbringing, different from how a lot of men are raised today (not negative).

Reactions: NeelyWasAWarrior

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I never cried after a playoff loss.

I did have some sleepless nights after the WCF loss in 2014.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
The Brad May goal never bothered me because they were already down 0-3 in the series

17 seconds in the 2013 SCF I felt like I was shot.

Game 7 in the 2019 SCF was painful.

But there is ONE Game that changed hockey history back in 1971 - It was only Game 2 but

Ken Dryden looked overmatched and if the B's hadn't let up he almost certainly would have just gone to law school. Bobby Orr says it was the worst game of his career.

thanks for sharing this. My dads an old guy. I told him I saw clips from this game online and he got super excited. He’s been talking about old habs hockey for 30 mins now lol

this game in particular is pretty rooted in his brain but I never knew anything about it

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Crying is fine if your dog dies or whatever. If I'm watching a game with you and you start crying I'm going to leave.

What if you're at my house and the fridge is full of beer?

thanks for sharing this. My dads an old guy. I told him I saw clips from this game online and he got super excited. He’s been talking about old habs hockey for 30 mins now lol

this game in particular is pretty rooted in his brain but I never knew anything about it

Same here. That was a great nugget of NHL history unearthed.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Actually cried? Never. Since I was a teenager I recall crying a handful of times. When my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and when he passed, and when I had to put down my family dog (held it together to be strong for everyone until I was alone and had my moment).

I've been worked up, I've been angry, I've jumped and nearly hit the ceiling when they've won, I've felt all kinds of emotions and all of that but I can't say I have ever cried over the game good or bad.

Might be my upbringing, different from how a lot of men are raised today (not negative).

Sorry for your losses. I cried last year losing my dog. I know i'll tear up when I lose my parents.

That's real life problem tears. The hockey tears for me have long been over.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
2003 ALCS. Aaron F'n Boone.

I didn't cry but I was so angry. I had an anger problem back then and sports filled the voids that I had in my life emotionally. Playoffs were the most important things to me at that time in my life (early 20s).

After that homerun, I punched a few walls, and I broke a futon in my apartment. I sort of thought I was good to go and went downstairs and outside to my car to go to work that evening and I saw my crowbar and tools in the backseat (old crappy 92 Subaru legacy). I proceeded to smash a few windows and mirrors and a couple lights. Drove to work (was about 1 mile away) and then parked my car and started to vent again by just wailing on the car for about 10-15 minutes.

Cops were called and they asked me what I was doing. I told them I was pissed off and wanted to hit my car. Cops were surprised to hear it was my car and asked for ID and registration. They then asked what the reason was I was doing this for. I told them the Yankees pissed me off. They kind of rolled their eyes and asked me to stop because I was scaring some of the factory workers.

I went into work and didn't talk to anyone all night. Coworkers would say hi and ask questions and I just couldn't talk lol.

I have since gotten much calmer in life and those days are past. LOL

For hockey I was at game 7 of the Hurricanes Bruins series in 08/09. That team was so much fun to watch. After the Scott Walker OT goal, I kind of just crumpled into my seat and didn't move until I was asked to leave by TD Garden personnel. That team was so much fun to watch and a lot of us thought they were due for a deep playoff run that year.
When that Boone HR happened I was so miserable I resorted to killing off the bottle of vodka I had stashed in my dorm... I don't remember the rest of that night after a certain point, but I know I at least didn't end up getting alcohol poisoning from it.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I was fresh out of high school and blackout drunk for G7 of 2011, so you can bet I was a wretched, shambling mess. My brother was terrified when I came home and started throwing shit around in a tantrum, which I vaguely remember. The shame I feel from that low point really brought forth some major changes in my perspective and even my personality. Never want to be that kid again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad