When was the last time you cried because of a playoff loss?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think I ever did for the Rangers. The Rangers weren't particularly relevant until I was about to be 21.

I remember crying over the Yankees. 2001. Losing that World Series still sticks with me more than any other sports loss in my life. Ahead in the 9th inning with Mariano Rivera on the mound and the Diamondbacks win it without hitting one ball hard. I still hate the Diamondbacks.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Can't say I ever shed a tear. Even when the Canucks were losing Game 7 of the 2011 SCF I was more focused in getting home early and safe than getting too invested. I'd rather live as a perpetual stoicist and only let the emotions flow if the team ever hoists the Cup :laugh:

In terms of witnessing other people cry... never saw anything like the reaction to the Leafs blowing THE 3 goal lead. Even my mom who doesn't really watch hockey had gotten invested, and she was so genuinely upset.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
The notion of crying for a stranger wining or losing in a sport is just... like.. absurd to me.

I've rooted for only one team my entire life (Rangers) and I enjoy going to see them at MSG. I love my city and this team is its representative in a sport I also love watching. I follow them closely and enjoy cheering for them. I hope they win another cup in my lifetime. I have invested countless hours of my life watching them play. And I find the playoffs exhilarating.

But I would never cry for them, win or lose. I don't know these players personally. They aren't part of my life in that way. I'm not part of the organization in any capacity. I'll cheer them on and that's it. If they won a Stanley Cup, I'd likely jump up and down with whoever I'm watching with.

Maybe if I knew a player overcame something personal in their life like illness or poverty, I may feel a bit more emotion on a different level for them.

But just names and on-ice skills? It's hard to get too sentimental about it. I'm more sentimental about the people I watch with than the players if that makes sense.

I appreciate the players, but at then end of the day, they're just people playing a kids' game as a profession for our entertainment. It's hard to feel more for it than that.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The only time when i shed a tear is when i saw my team win the cup.

The only emotion i get when seeing my team lose is anger. lol

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The entire NYR run w/Lundqvist. But I think there's a big gap between tears and full out crying.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I was a huge Raiders fan and was 11 when they lost to the "immaculate reception". I started celebrating after the pass was broken up. After the confusion wore off and I realized what had just happened, I'm pretty sure I cried.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Tough question. All kinds of tears.

Tears of Outrage: Boston/Montreal G7 1979 - Too Many Men on Ice game. Broke my heart. How could we f*** that up?:mad::mad::mad:

Tears of Joy: Big Z lifting Cup in 2011 after a long 39 year drought.

Tears of Sadness: Watching the game in 1982 when Norman Leveille had a brain aneurism while playing a game in Vancouver.

Tears of Laughter: Bruins beat Leafs in G7 2013 despite being down 4-2 with 1:22 left to go. Still makes me laugh.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jesus @Fenway . You just had to go and actually post the picture. Here come the tears.......... again.

That'll never get old. Cup blocking rivals in glorious fashion is very satisfying.

I was a huge Raiders fan and was 11 when they lost to the "immaculate reception". I started celebrating after the pass was broken up. After the confusion wore off and I realized what had just happened, I'm pretty sure I cried.

Can't imagine losing that way. The closest we got was Buckner but that was a year before i became a fan.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
I don't think I ever did for the Rangers. The Rangers weren't particularly relevant until I was about to be 21.

I remember crying over the Yankees. 2001. Losing that World Series still sticks with me more than any other sports loss in my life. Ahead in the 9th inning with Mariano Rivera on the mound and the Diamondbacks win it without hitting one ball hard. I still hate the Diamondbacks.

That was the only time I wouldn't have minded the yankees winning the ws. No lie. The fervor post 9/11 is something i will never forget.

2010 ALCS. Aaron Boone's homerun. It crushed me. It was sweet revenge in 2004 tho :) Outside of that, I've only cried happy tears.

Yup that was 2003 actually. I was past the crying stage but remembered feeling awful the next day and not wanting to talk to anybody. 2004 made me forget everything though.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Never? Why would someone cry unless they had a direct affiliation with the team (family member coaching/playing)? Otherwise...weird.

Just part of being a kid. The pro athletes then were larger than life to me. I think there was more intense fascination with your local team because that's all you watched. There was no center ice, no internet. You lived in your own geographical bubble and so the local players and teams meant more to their local fans.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I have never cried over an Oilers loss but I was really sad and somber for days after they lost in 2006. That team had such a hard working group of players that played their hearts out and the atmosphere in Edmonton during those playoffs is something I don't even think the current Oilers could create if they won the Cup. Just an unexpected, amazing time.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I don’t remember the last time I actually cried but last year I came close against Vegas in Game 5 of the Finals. It wasn’t the loss itself, it was the way it happened. Had such an unreal run and then got completely obliterated in the cup-deciding game. Like watching your favorite superhero get his ass whooped when you needed him most.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Not sure if I have ever cried after a loss. Any loss during the playoffs completely ruins my night and the following day though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad