When was the last time you cried because of a playoff loss?

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
I’m a Leaf fan. I’m numb to pain.

There have been a few moments that have caused me to wipe away a tear or two, in no particular order:

-Lemieux and Koivu returning after cancer treatments

-the Wings bringing Konstantinov on the ice after their Cup win (‘98??)

-Bourque lifting the Cup with the Avs

-Normand Léveillé going on the ice in Boston, Bourque helping him skate to the other Bruin legends, and the whole crowd giving him a standing ovation. Goosebumps.

-Salming’s return to Toronto in his final months, and Sittler bawling on the ice (and camera showing Tiger Williams crying in a suite)

Last edited:

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Not because of a playoff loss, but I did cry when I beat my older brother in an NHL game and he started hitting me in the head with a Playstation controller.
me & @ShootIt
except i never won he just beat me for picking the lightning cause i thought their logo was cool

I never cried over losses, but I did shed a tear over watching my team make the Stanley Cup Final last year. It feels special to stick with a franchise through the lowest of lows and watch them ascend to contender status - that can be an emotional ride.
same, first measurable success i got to see live for the panthers was great

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I don't think I've ever cried over sports, period. I have gotten pretty mad though, especially when I was younger. I think the last time I remember getting super worked up was during the 2013 ECF where the Penguins simply could not score on Rask. I felt really bad for Tomas Vokoun, who played his ass off in that series.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Hockey can only bring out that level of positive emotion in me, not negative. I’ve never cried sad tears over a hockey game. I would definitely cry tears of joy if my team won the cup. Last time I teared up watching hockey was seeing Ovi lift the cup
I kind of tear up at the handshake line sometimes. Its emotion stirring for me

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Never? Why would someone cry unless they had a direct affiliation with the team (family member coaching/playing)? Otherwise...weird.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
The Buckner bungle was the most disappointing. You had one job, block the damn ball and we win. Nope.

86 was a crap year overall. We had the Challenger disaster in January, then the Pats got destroyed by the Bears in the Super Bowl, the Bruins got swept by Montreal, then in summer the one bright spot was the Celtics winning it all, and then Red Sox...we know the rest of that story.
It’s funny, I’ve never been a Boston sports fan, but often found myself rooting for them as an “underdog.”

-that Super Bowl loss to the Bears. Hated McMahon, Perry, all of them except Payton. Could not believe they gave the TD carry to Perry over Sweetness. Great team, but just pure arrogance.

-when Bruins finally beat Montreal in ‘88, after 18 straight series losses to the Habs

-Pats first Super Bowl win over the Rams

-2004, especially the ALCS. I remember saying after the Sox made it 3-1, Boston is coming back. Literally screamed when Damon hit that grand slam in Game 7. And of course, Schilling’s bloody sock.

-beating Vancouver in 2011. I LOL’d.

-big boxing guy, so loved watching Irish Mickey Ward in his trilogy with Gatti. McNeely, not so much. 🤣

All in all, between the Pats, Sox, Celtics and Bruins, Boston has done pretty damn good, especially since that first Super Bowl. I’m not sure you’ll ever see a championship run for a city like that again.

Reactions: torontoblood

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
When Brad May scored that backbreaking OT goal in Gm 4 of the 1993 playoffs to sweep the Bruins, some 12 year old boy in the hockey universe, Bedford Massachusetts to be exact, was on his sofa crying in frustration. That boy was me.

We had, I believe, the second most points in the NHL that year and I thought we were going to smack Buffalo around for a little bit before we advanced to the next round but that was not to be as it was Buffalo that completely outplayed us all four games and of all people it was Brad May to plunge the dagger in for the killer blow.

Hockey was like life and death for me back then. We had quite a bit of crippling losses back then but that was the last time I cried as an NHL fan.

Anybody else have a similar time of despair as kid? If you were a stoic child then major kudos to you.
Tough question. All kinds of tears.

Tears of Outrage: Boston/Montreal G7 1979 - Too Many Men on Ice game. Broke my heart. How could we f*** that up?:mad::mad::mad:

Tears of Joy: Big Z lifting Cup in 2011 after a long 39 year drought.

Tears of Sadness: Watching the game in 1982 when Norman Leveille had a brain aneurism while playing a game in Vancouver.

Tears of Laughter: Bruins beat Leafs in G7 2013 despite being down 4-2 with 1:22 left to go. Still makes me laugh.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jesus @Fenway . You just had to go and actually post the picture. Here come the tears.......... again.

Reactions: Ladyfan

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Can't remember the last time cried, let alone to do with hockey or sort of, was probably close Oct 10th 2017 though.

The 2019 playoff, though is probably the last time I was fuming like that.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
April 16, 1988

Caps vs Flyers

Tie game 4-4, I remember the Caps almost scoring in the last min on a crazy and wild 3rd period.
Cap Center was going nuts. We were standing for what felt like the whole 3rd period.

3rd period ends, place is energetic. I run from our seats (we had season tickets so me and my brother had free reign to run around), go down to the concourse and bum a cigarette off a guy. He looked at me and said 'aww f*** it" and gave me one.

I was 9 years old.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Didn't cry but was sad AF at the end of Habs 2021 playoffs run

It was an epic run but they were already rumors about Weber's ankle being f***ed and Price being hurt too

Watching the players coming together at the end was quite the scene

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Cried!!!

z6PKpC (1).gif

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Didn't cry but was depressed for days.

2011 Game 7 vs Boston in OT. We score that goal and Boston never wins a Cup. Still haunts me to this day.
Pacioretty was also coming back in round 2 had we made it.😔

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I cried in 2004, when the Flames lost in the Cup Finals.

A friend of mine(still friends to this day), was even Suicidal, I remember his mom taking him to therapy classes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad