When is the next season going to start?

When will the next season start?

• Total voters

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Its a question I keep coming here to see if anyone has heard anything but see few post on. Free agency frenzy is largely done and Seattle wants to start a new season. Bread and circuses for the folks there.

League cannot make money on TV revenue and merchandise alone - that's a given - so if they can't sell tickets they may have to have a lockout to reduce their losses. However, with a vaccine rumoured almost here the world may open again soon.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Hopefully by February. :crossfing
If they're working out a schedule and all the details of a season they're keeping it to themselves. At least i'm not seeing/hearing much about the progress they're making.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don’t think they can agree on compensation, I feel like the players want to paid for 82 games, and owners want pro-rated. If not pro-rated, I don’t see a season starting.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I think its going to be later than sooner. There's too many variables and logistics that have to work out. Putting the teams in a bubble while the greatest revenues are coming in is one thing, but figuring out how to have enough butts in the seats to pay for those contracts is another.

I wouldn't be surprised to see really shortened season to determine the seeding of a 32 team elimination match in a bubble if a vaccine doesn't magically open up the countries involved overnight.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I doubt we see a game before Feb. it will be a 48 game season most likely.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Anyone thinking there's going to be a NHL season in the middle of a pandemic is out to lunch.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
I don’t think they can agree on compensation, I feel like the players want to paid for 82 games, and owners want pro-rated. If not pro-rated, I don’t see a season starting.

The players cannot be this stupid, can they?

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I hope it never does. I want the nhl to be the first sport to show respect to the dangers of covid19. I am a fan of listening to the scientists.

Reactions: breuk

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I hope it never does. I want the nhl to be the first sport to show respect to the dangers of covid19. I am a fan of listening to the scientists.
In that case the NHL could go obsolete, or at the very least lose a significant portion of their fanbase.
Not happening, nor should it happen.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I mean it seems like they're trying to fast track a COVID vaccine.

If they can get one out by December, it would make sense for v the NHL to try to fast track a season opening by January or February. Get some butts in the seats and some money rolling in again.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
1 million Covid cases in the last 10 days in US. I voted not going to happen

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The NHL has dropped the ball if it's any later than January 1st.

Disagree, the 2013 lockout year started Jan 19 so if they do a 48 game season like that year (its the most likely option) they will end in June as per the norm.

Cases are going up everywhere so a Jan 1st start might be hard at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad