When does the Yzerplan start getting criticized?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
From the outside looking in:

1. Pro scouting hasn't been good enough. There are some ok finds here and there (Sprong, Walman, Compher, Perron), but none that really move the needle too much, and Holl and Chiarot have been pretty bad and relatively untradeable.
2. Coaching is too average. I don't think Blashill and Lalonde are bad necessarily, but they probably work better with teams that have an identity. We've seen two coaches this year do a complete culture change (Tocchet, Bowness). It's possible with a fairly young team.
3. The fact that the amateur scouting hasn't been able to find top end talent over a number of years is pretty inexcusable. I don't know what the structure is like there, but something has to change.

As an aside, I really wish Yzerman pulled the trigger on the Hronek for Horvat trade. I'm pretty pissed that Horvat just chose to sign with the Islanders... he would've fit perfectly on Detroit.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
For a rebuilding team goal is to obtain extra picks and hopefully hit on a couple of them. 2019-2020 draft they had 4 extra seconds on top of the 2 they had.
2nd rounders are still a low% chance to make it. Johansson will be in the NHL next year (confirmed by Yzerman), and Wallinder is highly likely to be an NHLer as well. Are they stars? Probably not. But that’s a decent haul especially considering how impactful Raymond and Seider are. No doubt they need 1 or 2 drafts to produce multiple good players though (Like Cossa+Edvinsson+Mazur, or Danielson+ASP, etc), it’s just not gonna be every draft.

Reactions: wings95

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Of all the teams that were bottom 5 pre lottery from the 19-21 drafts with us, only LA finished ahead of us this season. You don't teleport from awful to good in an instant.

They’ve been rebuilding from 2017->

Y had already Larkin in the building, the main piece of his rebuild

This was by far the easiest year to get in and still managed to miss..

It’s not suddenly going to just become easier with East getting stronger again (depth) and having to pay Seider& Raymond

Reactions: cptjeff

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

It’s not suddenly going to just become easier with East getting stronger again (depth) and having to pay Seider& Raymond
The poster is schreeching Yzerman's 5 years in a thread about Yzerman's tenure.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The poster is schreeching Yzerman's 5 years in a thread about Yzerman's tenure.

& how doesn’t the past affect it at all?

It’s ridiculous to compare to rebuilding teams that were just starting their rebuild to a team who had been doing it for a couple of years and had already drafted their 1C

But I guess whatever to not critize Y

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
& how doesn’t the past affect it at all?

It’s ridiculous to compare to rebuilding teams that were just starting their rebuild to a team who had been doing it for a couple of years and had already drafted their 1C

But I guess whatever to not critize Y
The Wings weren't a bottom 5 pre lottery team in 2017. They were in 19, 20, and 21. Guess what, when you add 2018 we still finished higher than the 1-4 pre lottery teams Buffalo Arizona Ottawa and Montreal.

So i guess since we picked Rasmussen at 9 in 2017 what, we should be up there with Colorado and Vancouver because they were bad then? Cuz it was them and then guess what Arizona, New Jersey and Buffalo again

So since 2017 the bottom 5 pre lottery teams (not including expansion) you have 3 teams Colorado, Vancouver, and LA who achieved more this season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Wings weren't a bottom 5 pre lottery team in 2017. They were in 19, 20, and 21. Guess what, when you add 2018 we still finished higher than the 1-4 pre lottery teams Buffalo Arizona Ottawa and Montreal.

So i guess since we picked Rasmussen at 9 in 2017 what, we should be up there with Colorado and Vancouver because they were bad then? Cuz it was them and then guess what Arizona, New Jersey and Buffalo again

So since 2017 the bottom 5 teams (not including expansion) you have 3 teams Colorado, Vancouver, and LA who achieved more this season.

You know the run you had finished far earlier than 2019 when Y got there.

You’ve been drafting in the top10 from 2017-> with rebuild in mind

Y walked in in 2019 with your 1C already drafted and still haven’t made the playoffs, especially not getting in this year was a total choke job

& yes a team that started their move to a new core in 2017 (with Larkin already there) should be expected to be good by now, if that team was run well.

Detroit fans just love to put the blinders on and being happy about being mediocre at best

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
You know the run you had finished far earlier than 2019 when Y got there.

You’ve been drafting in the top10 from 2017-> with rebuild in mind

Y walked in in 2019 with your 1C already drafted and still haven’t made the playoffs, especially not getting in this year was a total choke job

& yes a team that started their move to a new core in 2017 (with Larkin already there) should be expected to be good by now, if that team was run well.

Detroit fans just love to put the blinders on and being happy about being mediocre at best
Oh man ignorance is bliss…

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

So since 2017 the bottom 5 pre lottery teams (not including expansion) you have 3 teams Colorado, Vancouver, and LA who achieved more this season.

New Jersey is literally a year removed from a 112 point season

Reactions: Fatass

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Seider is so overrated by a contingent of HF. You’re clearly in this cadre.

Raymond stands out more and is the better player so I offer one clear example already.
1/3 seasons.

Moritz has stood out more than Raymond 2/3 seasons.

HF posters continuously look at the "what have you done for me recently" oppose to overall play and you fit in this cadre and likely why you get told off so much.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Can ya’ll just decide if Larkin is a 2C or a guy who should drag a rebuilding team to the playoffs even when missing 15 games?

Oh and if it was so easy to make the playoffs this season how come supposed great teams like Sabres were nowhere close?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

1. Pro scouting hasn't been good enough. There are some ok finds here and there (Sprong, Walman, Compher, Perron), but none that really move the needle too much, and Holl and Chiarot have been pretty bad and relatively untradeable.
2. Coaching is too average. I don't think Blashill and Lalonde are bad necessarily, but they probably work better with teams that have an identity. We've seen two coaches this year do a complete culture change (Tocchet, Bowness). It's possible with a fairly young team.
3. The fact that the amateur scouting hasn't been able to find top end talent over a number of years is pretty inexcusable. I don't know what the structure is like there, but something has to change.

As an aside, I really wish Yzerman pulled the trigger on the Hronek for Horvat trade. I'm pretty pissed that Horvat just chose to sign with the Islanders... he would've fit perfectly on Detroit.
Was Horvat offered for Hronek and Yzerman said no? If that’s the case then that was a huge mistake by him. Horvat vs pick 18 is a no brainer. Larkin and Horvat as the centres for the top two lines would have made the difference. Wow! I didn’t know that offer was made. Huge mistake.

New Jersey is literally a year removed from a 112 point season
Sabres took a significant step backwards this season too. Growth isn’t always linear. Yzerman needs more guys like Larkin on the club.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Se
Seider is so overrated by a contingent of HF. You’re clearly in this cadre.

Raymond stands out more and is the better player so I offer one clear example already.
Seider Is great. he should be anchoring a second pairing, and the PK. He shouldn’t be expected to be a point producer. Didn’t Yzerman draft ASP as the club’s future top D man?

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Of all the teams that were bottom 5 pre lottery from the 19-21 drafts with us, only LA finished ahead of us this season. You don't teleport from awful to good in an instant.
Yzerman went on a 2-year spending spree to finish 9th. Blocked some prospects from callup roles this year so who knows what they have outside former Top 10 picks at this point. Only a couple of long-term players (high picks drafted 4-5 years ago and due for new contracts) on the roster. Picking 15th this draft. Not sure why this is considered an accomplishment in your book.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Yzerman went on a 2-year spending spree to finish 9th. Blocked some prospects from callup roles this year so who knows what they have outside former Top 10 picks at this point. Only a couple of long-term players (high picks drafted 4-5 years ago and due for new contracts) on the roster. Picking 15th this draft. Not sure why this is considered an accomplishment in your book.

Crazy to think improving every year for 5 years straight , coming from a dumpster fire isn't progress but OK.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

I like well thought out posts like this because we can actually have a conversation. Other critics are like "yzerman sucks because we expect greatness!" You actually put thought into your post. So kudos.

1. Pro scouts can be amazing if the players they really advocate for won't sign here. Kane did after Debrincat. So this might be the first step towards attracting UFAs.

-side note. Walman has been fantastic. Chariot has come around. Compher is a fantastic 3rd line center if he was on the 3rd line! Holl was a mistake. Lets see how Yzerman handles it.

2. Coaching is subpar. But I don't think Yzerman is "expecting" to make the playoffs, he said he is "hopeful". So no pressure on the coach. Yzerman seems to be patient man and I think he sees each year Lalonde has been here as "progress".

3. Since Yzerman drafted Seider in 2019, how many players made the league? Looking at your teams draft history, y'all drafted 2 subpar players that made it the past 5 years. They'd be HUGE disappointments if DRWs had that 'lack of' draft success. Wings have a calder winner, and a calder runner up. And it looks Raymond is going to be a game breaker. He just turned 22 literally 3 weeks ago.

Currently, Edvinsson looks like a stud. He has earned himself a top3 full time spot on DRWs.

NHL isn't a development league. That's what OTT and Sabres do. They draft players and quickly send them to the NHL. That's not what they do in Detroit. You won't see Cossa for another 2 or 3 years. You won't see Kasper for another year or two. You *should see Danielsson in next season or two. - he's the most NHL ready, but not there yet.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No, it was about how teams don't go from bottom feeders to contenders in a short period of time but I'm glad you and your other 2 friends completely missed the point and only focused on the Wings aspect of what I said.
7 straight years of missed playoffs (2 with Holland, 5 with Yzerman) isn't exactly a "short period of time", but way to completely miss the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad